Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-16-2005, 5:56 PM Reply   
Good evening everyone....I am looking for some real good help with spins and back/front rolls. I have heard people talk about using trampolines for a good way to work out the feel of doing these moves. I also was told about putting something around your feet to make it feel like you have board on your feet.....any help would be appreciated.
Old    murrayair            02-16-2005, 8:12 PM Reply   
My trampoline didnt really help me get better at any moves, or necessarily get the feel of them because you have to throw your body weight around to initiate a flip, whereas on the water you let the wake do a lot of the work. What it DID help me with was getting comfortable being upside-down. Its really helped me to be able to look down at the water/trampoline and say "ok, that's where I am going to land," instead of just hucking it and hoping the board hit the water in the right spot. One thing to remember on the tramp is to wait unitl you are in the air before initiaing the flip. Otherwise you could end up moving not only vertically, but laterally across it which could lead to falling off (ouch!)
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-16-2005, 8:15 PM Reply   
Using a tramp is an excellent way to learn new moves, but be careful because you can injure yourself on a trampoline just as easily if not more easily than you can on a wakeboard. You might want to find a local gymnastics center or somebody who is good on a tramp before just getting on one.

I personally don't feel a tramp is needed to learn the basic spins or inverts, but it does make things easier once you get on the water. I learned 3's and a backroll without one. A tantrum becomes a little easier with a tramp if you've never done a natural backflip or aren't good at them. I feel once you get beyond the basic inverts and moving into the world of mobes that's where the tramp really helps. Most advanced riders won't try something on the water that they can't do on a tramp when it comes to mobes and other advanced tricks. Hope this helps.
Old    vern            02-16-2005, 8:21 PM Reply   
Dude, don't worry about the trampoline. What I want you to do is go out on the water and practice with your board. Then, I want you to video tape all the crashes. Edit it to some sweet music, and then post it (Please note that if I did this for myself I would win "best face plant of the year". :-)

Actually, a tramp would be a good tool. Just be careful and don't focus on actually pulling the trick, but more on the position of the head and the landings.

Old    edward            02-19-2005, 1:05 PM Reply   
we got a 14 footer at wal mart for $140 and it think that it helps to keep your spins on axis and basically just helps with air awareness, and helps learn tricks quicker and so that you can land more of them because you know where you are in the air better such as when your upside down. if anything else its alot of fun and $140 was cheap and we haven't had any problems with it.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-19-2005, 3:51 PM Reply   
Get the biggest one you can. I bought a 16' jumpking at sam's club for about $200. I would say spend the extra $60 over the 14'. Not trying to discount what ed said, but the 16' is safer because of its size. I have almost fallen off of it a few times and if it was only a 14', im sure I would have already been to the ER a half a dozen times. If money is not an object, get a rectangle gymnastic quality one. But those run a grand or more and I have NO idea where to find them.
Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-19-2005, 6:43 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone for the posts.... I have been checking out websites over the past 2 days and yeah those Gymnastic ones range up to like $1600!!!!! That is a little nuts.. I think a Wal-mart or Sams Club one would work for now to see how much it really does help. This is hopefully going to be a breakout year b/c I am sick of not spinning and flipping! HAHA Don't get me wrong I love my wakeboarding but it's time to get a little dangerous! *aka* learn new stuff

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!! Oh and this summer I will surely post some good crashes!
Old    murrayair            02-19-2005, 8:14 PM Reply   
I got a Walmart tramp for like $140, and it doesn't bounce me as well as some of the more expensive ones. I can still do all the tricks on mine that I can on the others, but I have to work harder to get the height.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-20-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
Yea, i bought a cheap $88 12ft. I can do 900s, all mobe 540s, and many other tricks. but you get really out of breath because you have to put so much effort. If you really want to work on true wakeboarding, take a wakeskate and drill some cheap bingins into it. It feels just like strapping into a board on the water. You only risk hitting your face on the pole if you land off axis. If you get really good on the tramp, then basic tricks on the water come a lot easier (normal rolls/flip, spins).
Old    parksdna133            02-20-2005, 4:36 PM Reply   
yea just tie ur wakeboard rope up to a tree and what i do is get an old skateboard deck and duct tape some old shoes on it. you also can use a deck to work on wakeskate tricks. make sure the rope is tight so you dont fly off the tramp during raleys
Old    edward            02-21-2005, 8:59 AM Reply   
yea go for a 16 footer if you can. i have come very close to falling off a couple of times.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-21-2005, 10:54 AM Reply   
Check out the BounceBoard Extreme that we mention in this article. It might be something you trampoline folks would be interested in.

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=50
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-21-2005, 11:30 AM Reply   
the 16' tramp seems sooooo much bigger than the 14'. Just my opinion.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-21-2005, 7:07 PM Reply   
I have a 12'...I can do every trick you see the pros do without any problem, but then I see kids with a 16' doing pete rose 7's and slim chance 7's and 1080s like its nothing. If you get a 12, I recomend the net or you will kill or parilize (spell?) yourself. Otherwise go with a decent brand 16' because it will be easier to bounce and you wont fall off as bad without a net. Also, does anyone suggest a net for even a 16 ft??? I might upgrade to a 16.
Old    wakegal02            02-24-2005, 1:51 PM Reply   
I've got a quick question. Above I saw someone mention the BounceBoard Extreme which seems as though it could help you get more of a wakeboard feeling. The thing is I've seen one online and it was being sold for just about $50. So my question is would it be best to just take the deck off a skateboard and tape some shoes on, or is this a horrible idea.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-24-2005, 7:24 PM Reply   
I have a jump king with a net and it has saved me many times, trying OA 3 and 5 the net has kept me on from falling off and hitting the ground.