Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 27, 2007

Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-20-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
What's up everyone. Long time no chat. I have not been around the board for sometime. In the past three years I have undergone two lumbar discectomys (removal of the L4-l5 ruptured pieces). After the 2nd lumbar disectomy, it was clear something else had to be done. Four months ago I left CA to goto Straubing, Germany. I was referred to a doctor by the name of Dr. Bertagnoli at the Pro Spine Clinic. He is a great surgeon. So, I had a Pro-Disc (aka artificial disc) implanted at the L4-L5 level. I am now three months post-op, and just curious when I should start riding again.

Generally speaking this surgery will allow the patient to return to normal activitys between three and six months post-operative.... However, I don't want to push anything, and risk injuring the l4-l5 and adjacent areas.

Anyone out here have any experience with artificial disc implants and wakeboarding? All input would be appreciated... Thanks guys.
Old     (davidhep23)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-20-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
I used to work for Depuy Spine which has the only FDA approved artificial disk in the US. The disk you had put in is made by Synthes, but works on the same concept. If I was in your shoes I would hold off for a while to make sure the endplates of your vertebral body really have a chance to attach to the implant. You have two very large and dangerous vessels that run down directly over the L4-L5 disk space. If your artificial disk were to migrate anterior, lets just say you wouldn't want to even know the scenarios of what could happen. Give it a few more months, even to next year if you can. You've already had 3 surgeries, don't make it a fourth.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-20-2007, 10:24 AM Reply   
Bennett, I'm just guessing, but if you went all the way to Germany to have back surgery you probably know quite a bit about this surgery. I'm curious, I haven't heard much about the comparative success of artificial discs versus fusion, etc., but I'd love to hear about it. I've got some back problems myself and so far have been successfully riding by not pushing it too hard, doing a lot of core exercise and giving up running. Oh ya, I have a good chiropractor and massage therapist as well. Good luck getting back on the water.

(Message edited by l.debbold on July 20, 2007)
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-20-2007, 1:58 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys. Les: Being 21, almost 22, I really did not want to go with a spinal fusion. A spinal fusion at the l4-l5 level wouldnt affect my movement TOO much, but there is always the chance you lose slight mobility. Spinal fusions above that level can be worse. I decided at my current age, I would go with an artificla disk. If i were say 40 or 50, I might have done otherwise, and gone with a spinal fusion... Either way, the results vary from patient to patient.

Take care guys, thanks.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-20-2007, 2:02 PM Reply   
how did you hurt yourself in the first place?
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-20-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
There's been documented failure with the Depuy artificial discs and its no longer being used ( from my sources), so be cautious and wait.
The failure has to do with the collapse of the vertebra either above or below, depending how much bone was "shaved" off.
Old     (davidhep23)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-20-2007, 2:24 PM Reply   
The Depuy disk is still being used, just not near as much as when it first came out. We put in about 40 the first year in my territory when I was with Depuy. They've only put in about 4 in the past year. The problem we saw was that patients felt so good after the first week, they forgot about being careful. Thats when the problems started to occur.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-20-2007, 7:40 PM Reply   
It's no longer being used by several back surgeons out here.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-21-2007, 2:49 AM Reply   
Garrett- funny you should ask... I wish I could say riding... not, unfortunatly a MVA. Owell, I guess accidents happen. I was not at fault either. I am happy with the results of my aritficial disk implant (three months post-op). Hope surgery #4 does not come for along time. Unfortunatly, I know somewhere down the line the arti-disk will put enough stress on the adjacent disks that I will have another injury. We'll see..