Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (tsat)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-29-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
I want to buy one of the boats for sale on this site, but how will I ever get my older boat sold? I have a 1995 MB Sport basically a ski boat that I have tried to make into a wakeboard boat but its time to upgrade. Do you have some advice how to not get slammed too bad on selling my boat so I can buy a newer one. I don't want to buy a brand new boat something more like a 2002-3.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-29-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
Did ya try posting it on this website? or possible other websites such as.. boattrader, craigslist, might want to try some waterski sites such as waterskimag....
Old     (tsat)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-29-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
I have it on here and put it on boat trader last year not many hits. Good idea on the ski mag will look into it.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-29-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
Boattrader.com worked for me.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-29-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
There are people that are looking for a reasonable priced boat, and can't afford a new wake boat. The guy that bought my Malibu (closed bow DD ski boat, pretending to be a wake boat - tower, wedge and stuff), said he was having probs finding anything a little older, nice, and CLEAN. Try to do a few small cheap things to market your boat better when people come to see it. I had mine detailed, waxed, repaired small scratches, even detailed the engine. There is always a market for clean well cared for ski boats. And of coarse pricing it well helps. Also try to be a salesmen, present the boat well. Most people don't realize that most of us don't need the big high dollar vdrives to get a wake that alot of people will be happy with. Try to sell that point if someone might be on the edge.

I was able to sell mine within a week (with just a wakeworld post), and I had the same thoughts as you did, I really thought there is no market, but there was. I got right at NADA guide. If you really want the new boat, you may have to take a little hit.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-29-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
lower your price
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-29-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
It is also winter time in most areas. The average wakeboarder is not going to be looking for a boat right now. I would recomend waiting till spring and try to sell it again since that is when the highest demand for boats are.
Old     (tsat)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-29-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
how bad would I get hit if I trade it in to a dealer?
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-29-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
Tim,

I have '99 Sanger that I am about to upgrade. The dealer that I went to was willing to give me $4k less than average blue book. His recomendation was to sell it private. I was going to wait till spring, but he indicated that the under $20K boat market is fairly hot year round since those buyers are looking for a deal and off season is perceived as the best time to buy. I would recomend Boattrader.com. Good Luck!

Shawn
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-29-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
I sold my 89 centurion on ebay in 10 hours flat, for more than I paid for it.

Be accurate in your description and include LOTS of pictures.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-29-2006, 6:52 PM Reply   
Sold my 88 MC on ebay for more than I paid for it also... Of course the price did include about 10k worth of elbow grease.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-29-2006, 8:36 PM Reply   
Be patient and try to upgrade it a little and put it out come spring. This sport is growing and not every one can afford a new boat. If it's half way descent some one will by it. Also if you have sack's maybe include those.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-29-2006, 8:47 PM Reply   
Trading it in just depends. Most of the time you'll be better off selling it yourself. Entry level boats are hard to come by for folks not willing to buy new. Trick it out and include as much as you can so it's "turn key". Ask a decent price and it will sell. Lastly, spring time is the time to sell.
Old     (tsat)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-30-2006, 7:08 AM Reply   
thanks for all the advice I will try ebay and beef up the add to include fat sacs and the extras
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-30-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
If you just wana get ride of it if you pay for gas ill come and take it
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-30-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
Make sure your policy is up-to-date. Then, launch it without the plug; start swimming.

Flame...ON.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-30-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
Yeah, prison isn't really that bad.
Old     (tsat)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-30-2006, 4:46 PM Reply   
not as good advice on the last ones, ha!
Old     (tory1340)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-31-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
Tim:

I just sold my 88 Supra Comp. Take advantage of any free advertising you can get as well. I did not pay a penny for ads, and was patient trying different venues for them, various local boards and whatnot. I willingly took a little hit on the final price because I wanted to get it done and the buyers were a couple of teenage boys and their dads, pretty close to us on the big lake. Plus their offer was right about what I expected to get. More would have been nicer, though.

Be careful in your wording. Don't make it sound like you're desperate to sell; we've all seen them: Must sell, getting married/divorced/having a baby etc. The potential buyers have you by the.... Good luck
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-31-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
www.donate-your-boat.org
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-31-2006, 12:59 PM Reply   
Craigs List
Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-31-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
Tim -

The places I usually sell stuff are:

1) Craigslist
2) Yahoo Classifieds
3) Boattraderonline.com
4) Parked in front of the store down the street from my house
5) eBay

Just make sure the price is right, that the boat is clean and the check is good.

Good luck,
Sangeria
Old     (mcmike)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-31-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
If you are having that many issues selling, you may want to consider consignment with a local boat dealer. I did that with my last MC and was happy with the price and conditions. Remember, everything is negotiable...
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-31-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
I had my old boat on all the free sites for about 3 weeks last spring and I got very little interest. I put it on boattrader.com and within 3 days I had a serious buyer who bought it 4 days later. I'd try the free sites for a while then go to boattrader.com if you don't get much interest.