Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (kalcotter)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-25-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
I needed to buy a new impellor because mine was completely demolished. It didn’t have any fins left when I took it out of the housing, so my question is… which way do I put the new one in? Which direction does it spin? I didn’t want to have to pay someone to put it in, it looks pretty basic. Also, is there some kind of spray I should hit it with before I put it back together?

Thanks!!!!
kal
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-25-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
It doesn't matter which direction you install the fins. They will flip to the proper direction when the pump turns. Use some diswashing soap or binding lube to make it easier to install.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-25-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
Yup you want to put a light layer of greese or lube on the blades before install.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-25-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
Yeah, it shouldn't matter which direction but I am sure you can call a local boat dealer and ask. They usually will help you with simple questions.
Our impellor went out in the middle of Lake Powell but luckily we were able to get a tow into Dangling Rope Marina. They only charged us $50 for a new impellor and the install. Not bad for a marina that is basically only reachable by boat.
Old     (kalcotter)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-25-2006, 8:03 PM Reply   
cool. Thanks for the info. I was thinking that if it was in the wrong way, it could damage it. This helped a lot. Thanks!

Kal
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-25-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
"It doesn't matter which direction you install the fins. They will flip to the proper direction when the pump turns."

I wouldn't bet day on the water and another burned up impeller on that. It certainly DOES matter. I have personally
witnessed them NOT flipping back over.

In a V-Drive, if you were standing on the swim platform, looking into the back of your boat, the impeller would rotate clockwise.

If the location is as tight as mine, use a small mirror to verify that all fins are going the same direction and the right direction. I have seen half go one way, and half the other.

Old    walt            04-25-2006, 8:37 PM Reply   
If you have a plastic housing you should probably change that too.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-25-2006, 10:35 PM Reply   
Jarrod, I was wondering as I read if anyone was on to that. You beat me to it. Yeah, they need to be installed in the correct direction.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-25-2006, 10:41 PM Reply   
I find it handy to put some grease on the contacting metal parts (hub, spline) for easier future removal
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-26-2006, 4:30 AM Reply   
Learn how to change an impeller yourself and always have an extra.Change them out at least once a year.
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-26-2006, 6:09 AM Reply   
I'm not sure if the direction matters or not, as I to believe the pump will put the vanes in what ever position they need to be in, but if you are curious about rotation direction, you can "bump" the engine over for a second or two, and the direction of the belts/pulley's will assure you the rotation of the impellar(assuming it's belt driven)
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-26-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
you also have to get all the vains out of the lines if not you will over heat again, its like kinking off a hose, so dont neglect doing that.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-26-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
I've got to agree to everyone above that installing these things directional is critical. I used to change them yearly in a Sanger DLX and the one time I put it in backwards it ate it. This was one of those larger Merc ones. I have Salinas Valley Marine do the Malibus, don't even want to mess around back there on the Vdrives.
Old     (highmarkco)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-26-2006, 7:45 AM Reply   
Yeah, you should be spending some time chasing you cooling system for those lost fins. They will block off your system and cause you to overheat. Not a fun job at all.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-26-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
I tested the pump on my Centurion Avalanche (Mercruiser) when I had if off on the work bench. I put the impeller in wrong direction and rotated the pump and it fliped the vanes into the correct position. I rotated the pump backwards and the vanes flipped back into the wrong position etc. The johnson pump used by Indmar might not do this but I'm sure the Mercruiser does.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-26-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
Check your thermostat housing if you did loose fins. I have seen them keep those from opening up causing overheating as well.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-26-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
Not saying it won't work. Just saying it might not work. If it doesn't work, it's back to pulling the impeller out again.

It didn't work in my indmar, and half of the fins were already going the right way.
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       04-26-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
in my experience a new impeller (johnson) will orient the vanes correctly when the pump is rotated, regardless of how it is installed. However, i wouldn't want to leave an impeller stationary for a long time with the vanes folded the wrong way, maybe memory would not let them spring back when the pump is rotated.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-26-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
What kind of motor? I'm wondering if the lube plays a role too. If the housing of the pump is dry, maybe the vanes will catch and flip over.

I had a well lubed Johnson (impeller that is) and it wouldn't happen for me.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-26-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
HAHA J-Rod you said well lubed Johnson.
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       04-26-2006, 10:32 AM Reply   
Monsoon (Indmar), Johnson 812, housing and impellor lightly coated with petroleum jelly.

Always lube your Johnson.
Old    pistolpete            04-26-2006, 5:45 PM Reply   
Yikes,
Petroleum? ICBW but, aren't you not supposed to use a petroleum product on rubber? Besides that, you guys seem to have a lot of experience so, lemme ask you this. When you say that the vanes should rotate clockwise, are the ends of the vanes facing forward toward the direction of rotation? Or, do they flip so that the outer edge of the vane is trailing?Upload
Old     (kalcotter)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-26-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
geez, I'm glad I checked back. If the direction it needs to go is clock wise when facing the nose of the boat, I'll install it the right way. I don't feel like testing mine to see if it flips or not. Thanks a ton for the info. It's a good thing I'm lazy and haven't put it back together yet.

I'll also try to find where the pieces to the old impellor went... not sure how, but it would be good to find them.

Thanks again.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-26-2006, 7:38 PM Reply   
dish soap or binding lube works fine and won't hurt anything
Old     (kalcotter)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-27-2006, 4:53 AM Reply   
I thought the outer edge of the vanes would be trailing... at least that makes the most sense to me... I think it would look like this. forgive the bad drawing I'm at work, typing incognito.
image/bmpUpload
impellor.bmp (54.6 k)

Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       04-27-2006, 5:39 AM Reply   
pete, what's the deal with petroleum on rubber? never heard that.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-27-2006, 7:46 AM Reply   
which way do you guys brush your teeth -- up or down or side to side... how confusing can it be???
Old    pistolpete            04-27-2006, 9:25 PM Reply   
Dtb,
I've always heard not to mix two petroleum products together. Like asphalt and gas or oil. They will react with each other and one will break the other down. On the plus side, I think impellers are made out of Nitrile or Neoprene. Not to sure if those are still rubber or what? That image I posted is from the back of an old Johnson impeller packaging. It actually tells you to lube it with Glycerine.

(Message edited by PistolPete on April 27, 2006)
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       04-28-2006, 5:11 AM Reply   
interesting, never heard that. i did the same on my last impeller and didn't notice any negative effects.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-28-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
"I had a well lubed Johnson and it wouldn't happen for me."

Aren't you kinda young to be having those problems?