Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old    shiver8u            03-12-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
I was on another thread asking about the Infinity 6100M speaker system.

I have a boat with a 393 V8 and straight pipes out the side. Looking at this new Infinity system and want to know if this will loud enough & clear enough to let the boarders and tubbers hear the jams as well as everyone on the boat?

Any one familiar with the system? Heard it?
If you think this wont cut it I am working with about $1500 total money and looking for a setup.

Please let me know and I am all ears, thanks in advance!
Greg
Old     (wetsoundspro)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-12-2006, 3:53 PM Reply   
Greg,

It sounds bias, but take at look at the company I work for... (www.wetsounds.com}... There are two models. I have compared both models side by side against the Infinity's. The PRO485's are in a league of their own when comparing to the Ifinity's and the PRO80's was exceptionally better...more importantly, I know, without any doubt, that either model will help achieve volume at a distance, especially when considering the unwanted noisy environment.

Now, with any model, one key thing to keep in mind is the power. If you figure, as an example, running the PRO80's with a "quality" 200 x 2 amplifier, you should be under $1200 before installation and achieve plenty of volume 80 feet out even with lots of motor noise.

I hope that this helps but if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to shoot me an email.

P.S. I did send you a note to your email off your last post a couple of days ago.

Dale
Old    shiver8u            03-12-2006, 4:54 PM Reply   
Dale:

Thank you for everything and looking now.

Did you get my response to your e-mail?
Greg
Old     (wetsoundspro)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-12-2006, 5:22 PM Reply   
Greg,

I did not see any email response. Please try again...dpugh@wetsounds.com

Thanks
Dale
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-13-2006, 10:16 AM Reply   
i considered the 6100m package until i went and heard/saw them. they're "okay" sounding. on a scale of 1-10, i'd rate them about a 5 for sound quality. that's about it. couple things, i didn't like the looks of them and they hang REALLY low off the tower. the clamps are a poor design imo too. definitely not worth the money. i opted for a pair of audioformz polk momo tower speakers. mainly so they'd match my interior speakers, but they ended up being worth every penny. they look and sound terrific. granted you're not going to hear them while riding but they are sharp as heck and sound great in/around the boat. i'm only pushing like 75-watts to each of them, so who knows what 4 would do with more power. again, doubtful they'd sound anything close to hlcd gear, but that wasn't my goal. ronnie at www.audioformz.com is the man.
Upload
Old    shiver8u            03-16-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
Very good but I am looking for what speaker and what amps I need to hear while ridding and get a pa talk back feature.

Anyone else got an idea and thank you to everyone so far that has responded!
Greg
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-16-2006, 7:32 PM Reply   
then get a pair of NVS and goto the shack and buy a push-to-talk mic and have someone install it for you. :-)

just trying to tell you that imo, the 6100m package is way overpriced and isn't worth the money. they're the only mfg to make the pa system though at the moment.

good luck.

(Message edited by brucemac on March 16, 2006)

(Message edited by brucemac on March 16, 2006)
Old    shiver8u            03-18-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
Bruce:

Thanks man I appreciate the input. Can you do a Push -to-talk Mic through a normal amp?

Do you think the infinity Amps with the NVS Speakers would work? Or are they not strong enough if I gang to amps one for each pair of speaker.

Any one else please feel free to chime in.

By the way Wet Sounds also looks good but does any one else know about them or heard them?

Thanks again
Greg

PS man part of my motivation is I have all infinity sound on the interior so I was trying to match it. But hey if they do not make a good solution then I do not want it, that’s why I am asking.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-18-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
Interesting point about NVS and power requirements. NVS, and most proaudio gear is in the 95+db/watt efficiency range. Most car based stuff is in the 89-92db/watt range. A 3db increase takes basically a doubling in power. So the NVS running off the Infinity amp will be significantly louder than a car speaker. With that said once you get things running your rider will probably tell you to crank-it encouraging you to pin the volume into the 10%+ distortion range. If you do that you will be risking damage to the speakers. It's better to give them the power recommended. Noting is free...
Old    shiver8u            03-18-2006, 3:21 PM Reply   
Man you got a point!

Now the Infinity Amps are Marine so it should do the trick but is there another amp with the talk back feature built in?

Or should I just get two of the infinity amps ganged up to do the job?

Greg
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-18-2006, 3:33 PM Reply   
Just get a cheap pre-amp and a mic, both should not cost that much. Clarion makes a little pre-amp that sells for about $70 bucks on e-bay...
Old    shiver8u            03-18-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
Your right nothing is for free but no reason to be stupid with your money either!
invest in quality but get what you need, do not need over kill but do not want to under do it either.
Old    shiver8u            03-18-2006, 4:20 PM Reply   
Seems like NVS speakers running 250 Watts each from a single infinity amp (so each speaker has its won amp totaling 500 watts for the boat) pushing 93DB efficiency should do the trick then,

What do you think?
Greg
Old     (wetsoundspro)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-18-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
Greg,

Let's touch on a couple of things that are pertinent to your search.

First, Mikeski is correct. Gaining 3dB is achieved by typically one way; doubling the power. However, you can achieve higher dB by increasing the surface area or cone area as well.

Efficiency or sensitivity is a measure used to determine how easily the cone or membrane of the transducer will move. That tends to determine on lots of variables such as the density of the material used for the cone; size of the voice coil former; size of the magnet; etc... I only mention this to raise a point that even if a product is measured at 95dB at 1watt/1meter; that just means that it takes less power to achieve it's threshold. It doesn't mean that it will be louder than a product that measures at 91dB.

Now, with relating to your application, you seem to have a primary goal which is to have the ability to communicate with your rider. Is that fair to say? If that is the case, then your best option is going forward with a product that utilizes Horn Loaded Compression Driver (HLCD) Otherwise, if you use a typical coax or a stand alone tweeter you will find that it is tough to communicate voicing frequencies at 80ft or greater, especially with noise obstruction. Keep this in mind, majority of voicing frequencies tend to float around 1kHz. Most tweeters, whether they are stand alone or in a coaxial application, are typically designed to slope off well before 1kHz; some as high as 15kHz. Now, with HLCD they can produce at lower frequency ranges, which is why voicing at 80ft with an HLCD is more audible and generally clearer.

The buck just doesn't stop at the speaker, itself. A lot has to do with the crossover as well. Think of the crossover as the director in an Orchestra. It tells what frequencies need to go to what speaker while also controlling the information capacitance. If it's done right, it shouldn't mess with changing the information but instead, only extrapolating the data to determine what goes with what.

I know that this might be a bunch of gargle to you but hopefully it's helpful. So you know, I don't claim to be an engineer. I have been in the audio business on a professional level for 13 years and have dealt with products at every level, from Alpine car to McIntosh home to even JBL commercial. Simply put, I know a few things or so, but more importantly, the company I represent, Wet Sounds, does staff sound engineers and all the products are thoroughly tested in an anechoic chamber using advance software to understand the resonate issues in a driver and the frequency curve.

If you are going to assimilate various products, meaning an amp product to run the towers; a pre-amp for the mic; and then of course the tower speakers, please think of Wet Sounds for that tower solution.

When comparing any products you always want to think of value to dollar. You also want to think about the elements that go into the product and how they were designed for that application. Additionally, you want to think about how your investment will be protected.

With the PRO80 from Wet Sounds, it is a true compression design that is mounted to the back of the 8" woofer. The flute for the compression is channeled through the voice coil former of the 8" woofer with a flare at the end give you wide dispersion. We rate them at 90dB sensitivity but again, take that as a grain of salt because the compression horn is rated well over 105dB sensitivity. We give you universal inserts for the mounting clamp to cover the most common towers on the market. All the hardware, especially the driver itself, adheres to marine conditions. The cone material is a proprietary design called EFG which stands for Epoxy and Fiberglass composite. Always be cognizant about the cone material for any product that you purchase for marine applications. Although that we are a new company to the public's eye, I can assure you that we are here to stay. As time rolls on you will see many new products from Wet Sounds that will set all new standards in the marine industry. Lastly, we offer you 1 year Limited Warranty on the product.

Greg, I wish you well on your hunt, but for $849 a pair at retail, I would say that is a strong bargain. I realize that not hearing them makes it difficult to make a decision like this, but if for any reason you are dissatisfied within 30 days of purchasing them, we will refund your money. I am certain you will be very satisfied with this product.

Good luck,

Dale
Old    shiver8u            03-18-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
Dale:

Thank you and that was allot of information and I am an engineer so the technical details are great.

So are you saying the Pro 80 has a compression horn? I can us it for talk back/PA functions?

You make a very compelling story and I like the looks of your speakers.

Has any one else bought these yet and what do you think?

Thank you for everything
Greg
Old    shiver8u            03-18-2006, 6:08 PM Reply   
Ok any one else thoughts between Pro80 Wetsound and NVS?