Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-25-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
so this is kind of a dumb question, but i always had a bit of a "ka-chunk" sound when starting from stop with my old boat on the trailer. slop/play from the hitch attachment. well now with the heavier boat, it's worse, obviously becuase it's bigger, more weight, etc. what's weird is, it doesn't do it when you stop, only when you take off. regardless, how to i fix this or make it better? should i go shop around for a better hitch one that fits better? or is there something i can do to my current setup? i'm guessing this can't be all that good on the tow package and tranny, but could be wrong. maybe that's just how it is. obviously just want to make sure i'm not causing any long term harm. any advice or guidance is appreciated.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-25-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
nice x2 by the way.

have you checked the brake fluid in the trailer. i went from a boatmate trailer to a mc trailer and had the same issues. turned out that the fluid was low and also needed to be bled.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-25-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
That is how surge brakes on a trailer work. Try not to floor it from a start and ease into it.

Edit: I assume you have checked the fluid.

(Message edited by Stanfield on April 25, 2008)
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-25-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
If the trailer hitch is making that sound it's the serge brake on the hitch itself sliding out when you move forward. My trailer does the same thing. When you slow down the trailer pushes on the tongue which applies the brakes hence why you don't hear anything. When you pull forward it pulls back out....ka-chunk.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-25-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
Also, look into something like this (cushion mount hitch) to absorb some of that banging: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_47815_47815
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-25-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
hmmm i have seen someone remidy this with the use of small strips of sheet metal to take care of the noise .

here is what i saw http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14099&highlight=hitch+receiver
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-25-2008, 2:51 PM Reply   
There's 2 issues.

1- Some peoples hitches rattle around in the receiver which causes nosie.

2- What I said up top about the serge brakes.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-25-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
what's weird is, my last trailer didn't have breaks and it still would do it from time to time a little bit, just not as much or as loud. maybe i have two things going on now. the play in the hitch and the surge brake actuator. fluid is fine by the way.

but you're rigth, if i ease into it, i can eliminate it. i'll just have to start slower i suppose.

mostly wanted to make sure i wasn't doing harm. taking the boat and trailer in soon to have PM stuff done on the trailer so i'll have him go over it all well.

thanks again for all the replies!
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-25-2008, 2:59 PM Reply   
and thanks insuranceman! you too!!! love those new one's...
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-25-2008, 4:26 PM Reply   
dumb question. but do you guys use brake regulators installed on your vehicles when you tow a trailer with brakes on it? or does it automatically work when you tap your brakes?
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-25-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
There is a little shock absorber that lives inside your surge brakes, depending on the age of the trailer it might be time for replacement.

Obvious statement of the day: make sure you have the right sized ball on your hitch.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-25-2008, 5:29 PM Reply   
Bruce Mac most trailer hitches (at least all the ones I've used) made a small klunk sound becuase there is a small ammount of play in the recieve. In this case it's your actuator and it's normal.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-25-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
hey bruce are you still rolling the maxum 180
?
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-25-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
wait wrong bruce mac
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-26-2008, 6:00 AM Reply   
a small amount of play is normal, but if you are really hearing a "ka-chunk" sound, then your brakes are likely not working at all. As mentioned above, the first thing to do is to check your fluid. I had brake issues all last season unfortunately, and I'm very familiar with the "ka-chunk" sound. I had a few issues with my brakes (finally all straightened out now), but the first was leaking brake fluid.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-27-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
The damper on the coupler brake actuator is bad.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-27-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
Mine did this when fluid was low and had air in system, Filled and bled, noise gone.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-27-2008, 7:25 PM Reply   
My brother had a problem with his Master Craft trailer a few years back. There is a pin that holds the caliper on. Its a small pin that snapped and he had to drag his trailer up the ramp when it snapped and locked up the brake. At the dealer the guy told him it was a problem and to keep an eye on it and gave him extra pins. I dont know for sure what year his boat is but I would guess around 02. Any way just a thought.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-27-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
TigeMike is correct. Bleed the brakes and you'll be fine. I have seen it countless times at my shop. It's a pretty easy fix.