Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (lakepirate)      Join Date: May 2007       08-14-2007, 2:14 AM Reply   
Here's my story. I'm 26, have a descent job and minimal bills or commitments, and had thouroughly enjoyed the time I spent on a friend's boat the last few summers. So, I decide that I'm going to step up to the plate and buy one myself. After looking for nearly 6 months, I finally purchased an '05 Malibu Wakesetter VLX. I thought to myself "this is going to be a piece of cake, right?"

Wrong. After 3 trips, I'm quickly discovering that having a boat and the responsiblities that come with it can be quite challenging. So, I figured I post this thread with a handfull of problems/concerns that I have and hopefully get some good advice from you guys. Feel free to answer any or all. Thanks so much in advance, and hopefully my next few posts will be how much I love having this thing.

1. Why do my batteries keep dying? The last two times we took out the boat, we launched, went to start the engine, and discovered our batteries were dead. Luckily we had jumper cables and there was other boats around, but it sucked. We have dual batteries + perko switch. Should we turn the swith to "OFF" when not in use? Should we have a battery charger on board? Also, how can we see the benefits of that perko switch? Should we have it on "1", "2", or "ALL" when out on the water and when hanging out with engine off but stereo on?

2. Why do I suck so bad at getting the boat on the trailer? Yeah, so what should be a 10 minute process has been turnig into an hour long headache. Any tips for where the trailer should be in the water and how to make sure the boat is centered on the trailer without pulling it in & out of the water 18 times?

3. What's the best way to anchor/moor the boat? I've heard the anchor buddy is good for that type of application. I've heard that some people attach chains to their anchors. Any advice on anchor and mooring?

4. Is it worth paying the $500-$1000 to transfer the Malibu lifetime hull warranty?

5. How difficult and expensive is it to install new diamond plating on the trailer's steps and wheel wells? If I do it, what type of diamond plating should I use? I have what seems to be some plastic stuff on there right now, kind of cheap but seems to reduce the heat on your feet when stepping on and off.

6. I can't seem to find lights for the Illusion Tower. Do they make them? If so, what website can I purchase them at?

7. What's the best stuff for wiping down the boat and getting off water spots? Right now we're using some of that Babes stuff, but a friend told me something like water and vinegar will work just as well (not to mention save you around $30).

8. Are tower socks useful? And if so, how expensive are they? I would like to keep the tower looking nice and shiny, but living in the dusty/windy desert makes it difficult. I've even thought about having my mom sew one up for me. Anybody have experience with that?

9. Can I stain or paint my teakwood swim step? I have heard mixed answers on this one. I prefer not to use oil and wouldn't mind a little work sanding and staining if it kept it nice for awhile?

10. Why do my ballast tanks fill up even when I don't tell them to? I've noticed that whenever we start using the ballast system, we'll drain one completely, check to make sure their empty, and 10 minutes later, the display will say "3/4" or "1/2". Why is it doing this? Also, will it burn up the pumps if we accidently leave on the fill switches?

Ummm, I think that's it fow. Sorry to bombarb you guys with questions. But thanks again for the help. Also, I posted a pic of the Wakesetter below.

Upload

(Message edited by lakepirate on August 14, 2007)