Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-19-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
My VLX didn't come with a wedge and I was thinking about installing one. However, it will run a bit under 1k if the estimates I have heard are true. I could buy alot of ballast for 1k. So why would I want the wedge other than it frees up some room? Couldn't the same thing be done with just a good ballast system? Opinions?...........
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-19-2006, 2:59 PM Reply   
Its SUPER easy to put the wedge up and down.....

Think about how long it takes to add 1000 of water weight to your boat. Plus, teh wedge doesn't put you over coast guard weight capacity
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       03-19-2006, 3:05 PM Reply   
What year is your VLX? My 03' VLX the wedge was just okay and I never really used it unless we were wakesurfing. The 05'06 wedge is different as well as the Hull of the boat and really does make a nice big, solid wake. I would test or ride behind someone with the wedge and check out the difference. It might not even be what you want in a wake.

Brannon
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-19-2006, 3:08 PM Reply   
ballast
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-19-2006, 4:07 PM Reply   
I know a lot of the pros with VLX boats prefer weight over the wedge,d the guys my son rides with have a 04 and use water and lead for wakeboarding & wedge for surfing. You could get your ballest plumbed in so you wont have to pump fat sacks. The wedge is good for surfing if you surf a lot.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-19-2006, 5:15 PM Reply   
i like the wedge when you're just running factory ballast. if you constantly have thousands of pounds over stock (like the pros), i wouldn't bother with the wedge
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-19-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
dont waste your time with the wedge, in my opinion you dont need the wedge just ballast.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       03-19-2006, 8:57 PM Reply   
The wedge adds some very desirable wake characteristics when used with the new hull. Try it you may like it. It's fast, easy to operate, and it firms the wake unlike factory ballast alone. If you go with an additional 1K of ballast, you'll lose storage, compromise passenger comfort, and still not get that hard launching lip on the top of the wake.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-19-2006, 9:21 PM Reply   
It's the older hull..........
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       03-19-2006, 9:38 PM Reply   
if it is the older hull say prior 05 then just go with ballast. the wedge was not that good for me. It makes it too steep and it the water is choppy it was unpridictable for me. I like more weight. You will find that the factory ballast and some added weight in the bow along with a full boat load or maybe another 500 lbs at the back will be huge.
Brannon
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-19-2006, 9:40 PM Reply   
Have an 04 - (same as 03 hull) VLX. The wedge makes the wake too 'peaky' I never ride with the Wedge.

If you could find someone with the same hull and ride with there wedge, you'd make your decision inside of minutes.

check it out...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Malibu-Boats-Pro-Wedge_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26455QQitemZ46219 23457QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       03-20-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
I have an '06 vlx with a power wedge that is used for surfing, when we ride it's just ballast
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-20-2006, 3:00 PM Reply   
Save your scratch. Its nice to have but it aint worth a grand to add.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       03-20-2006, 5:13 PM Reply   
Depends on how much weight you run, how you like the wake to be shaped, and if you are worried about having some storage or not.

I have an 04 VLX. IMO… if your running just the stock ballast and then the wedge… you will probably think it was a waste of a grand. I run with the wedge down but also add lots of weight on top of the stock ballast. Plus it was already on the boat when I got it. I prefer the wake to get a bit steeper.

Keep in mind that if you go too heavy in the back you actually get a worse wake with the wedge down because of the angel it runs at when the boat is not balanced.

I would save yourself the money… sack it out… front and rear and spend the rest on gas.

Coat guard weight capacity….???? Come on now.. if your posting on WW… you gotta know that number means nothing.