Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-15-2012, 4:08 AM Reply   
So last time we went out it got really windy and we had some problems with our regular side surf corner sac. We pretty much got things working by the time Frank surfed and the wind had died down. I didn't feel like we got a good test, though. It seemed like the regular side was more finicky or different than the goofy side and that has not been the case with any of our other Tiges. They always are the same on both sides. We are heading up to Wakemakers in Oregon next week to install a special system into the boat, but before we did I wanted to make sure that simply adding plug and play sacs in this boat was all that would be needed to create a great competition level wakesurf wake on both sides. We have worked hard every year to provide a great wake and conditions at the West Coast Wakesurf Open.

The weather was great today, it was only a high of 65 but when the Sun was on you, and the wind was down it felt like the high 70s. The water temp was high 50s and up to 60 in a few places. As soon as we got the Z3 out of the slip we situated the sacs carefully this time. We also bought out a second Jumbo V-Drive sac so that we didn't have to move the one we had from one side to the other, which is what caused the problem last time. Once we got that all done we filled up the 2 440s under the side seats all the way, and then the surf corner jumbo. We also filled up the hard tanks under the surf corner floor (250) on both sides and filled up the front completely (1000 total). The jumbos and the side sacs don't fill all the way up but we figured this is as close as we are going to get to simulating the plug and play sacs. No other weight, lead, mods, etc. Also, we carefully made sure that the corner sacs were both setup the same way, and so when we rode each side we made sure each side was weighted as identically as possible including how we adjusted people all day.

Well, the weather held up except for an occasionally gust here and there. The regular wake was just as impressive as the goofy side. We ran the same speeds, the same TAPS (wake plate), and with the same weight the same list angle of about 8ish degrees side to side.

Before I get to the pictures and videos, a few observations.

• This boat has tons of power/push. Dennis rides both sides and weighs about 280 or so and moves back and forth in the wake with ease. Dennis is excellent at "walking the board" and adjusting his weight to get farther back than most guys his size, but he is handicapped when riding backside. He can still adjust, but not with the same skill/ease. So when you see him easily ride back far while backside you know the boat is giving him lots of power back there.
  • The Z3 is a$$ heavy and creates a big hole, which has to be where the power is coming from. You really need to ride it, or chase it to see, doesn't come out well in pictures. This also means you have to put a lot of weight up front to compensate for what you put in the back. If you don't put enough weight up front, the boat just digs its butt down and drags and you hear the motor work harder and the wake doesn't work. If you have just a bit too little weight up front, you get more wash. Add some more weight up front and bam, its gorgeous and still tons of power.
  • The Z3 handles the weight very well since it uses less of a list and requires lots up front, it is spread all over, which makes for a comfortable ride and since the boat is so deep, nothing feels remotely extreme. We are not going for a "slammed" wake here, but a great comp wakesurf wake. We still have 4 to 6 inches of room before the water comes to the rub rail.
  • The rollers this thing puts out our meaty. Dennis was comparing the shape of the curl to Chopu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teahupo'o) and if you watch from the chase boat I swear you could surf the second set behind the main wake. At least RJ or Thomas probably could.

Here is the first pic of Rob Harrington, and I slid the camera off the side so you could see how much room we have to the rub rail.

Another great shot of Rob on the regular side.

Dennis riding backside, and still heading way back. Yes, he rides this out, this is not a pic of him falling out. 6'2" and 280lbs.

Jesse got her turn, and first goofy shot of the day.

Thomas was just barely getting air last year, and starting to get back to it.

Maddie doesn't like the cold but braves it to surf.

RJ can ride very far back and recover easily, partly because he has a fast board, and partly because he can pump pretty well.

RJ is starting to edge out more on those bottom turns. This is the 4'8" Fang Tail from Soulcraft and is the best board I have seen him on to date. Fast, fun and forgiving. (We do have a new Shred Stixx chaos custom coming in soon, that should also be fun.)

This is an easy recovery for him, but I have seen Chris Wolter come back from farther.

He really likes the shape and the lip, and he seems to boost off of it really well.

RJ has a hard time full on grabbing the board, but usually gives it a good slap, rub, or tickle.

I think this was my favorite air shot of the day.

This is a good shot of Dennis riding goofy and you can see when he gets down into the trough the wake is about to his waist.

Yes, no tricks, he surfed this back in.

Great day but I know some of the pictures you don't quite get a good perspective, and especially the ones with Dennis riding way in the back may seem like shots of him falling out, so I threw together some quick raw footage. No slow mo or music, just raw GoPro2 at 720P60 mounted on the gunwale halfway from from the rear seat to the back corner.

We are off to Oregon in a week to visit wakemakers.com and I now feel confident we are ready. We are having way too much fun so early in the season.

Last edited by ragboy; 04-15-2012 at 4:13 AM.