Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-22-2011, 2:21 PM Reply   
So we were pulling the boat out of the water on Saturday and had a interesting yet not surprising scenerio happen at the Chinook Landing boat ramp east of Portland on the Columbia River.

My wife went up to get the truck and trailer and was waiting in line for her turn to use the next ramp available. She pulls down the ramp and there is a boat tied up almost up against where we need to be to get the boat onto the trailer.

The wife and kids holding this boat against the dock realize that they are to close and walk their boat back a few feet I'm assuming to give us room.

As I maneuver toward the trailer our board racks touch theirs. Minimal damage to theirs and tore mine off as well as put a pretty big gash in the surfboard.

I was the one moving so I assume I am at fault. I dont have an issue with this and once we all got out of the water and up into the parking lot I went up to the boat owner and said "let me know if you have any damage and we can exchange information". He quickly says he is all good and no big deal .

I then said just as a common courtesy you may want to explain to your wife and kids that if they are going to hold the boat against the dock at the boat ramp that they may want to try and give a clear path for people loading and uploading their boats.

Of course this quickly turned into him spouting off that my wife cut him off and that that lane was his because he parked his boat there first. I have been boating for 20 years and I havent seen this type of chaos in years. The guy and his wife got pretty verbal and sad to say it got pretty colorful around their 4 kids. At this point we just ignored them
He threatened to call the Sherriff and I told him to go ahead. I was really curious to get an answer about whether I was totally off base.
As we were finishing wiping down the boat the guy has his wife jump into the car and they drive off. (Funny that she was now driving the truck)

Not sure I will be gong back to Chinook Landing anytime soon. This was a new ramp for us and we went out again Sunday and decided to launch somewhere else.

Am I totally off base? Doesnt the tow vehicle determine your place in line when pulling the boat out. I get that not everyone knows how to back a trailer and that not everyone knows how to load the boat on the trailer but maybe its a good idea to at least have some common courtesy when you dont have one of each.

I think there is a question in there, sorry for the rant.