Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-28-2008, 6:12 PM Reply   
Just curious if anyone has hit something hard while in the water? Especially whle drivein a V drive? Has anyone hit anything and tore off the fins in the middle of the boat? If so what was the cost to get the boat fixed etc?
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-28-2008, 6:26 PM Reply   
i hit stuff all the time, the delta is terrible and will thrash your boat. lakes are a much safer place to go............ we found this on vics one morning late this summer.

Upload
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       12-28-2008, 6:31 PM Reply   
we've hit rocks plenty of times, sometimes you just cant see and its not avoidable. only messed up the prop and got it repaired twice for 100 dollars each. we got lucky that it didnt mess up the shaft though
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-28-2008, 6:50 PM Reply   
I hit something and tore the rudder off of my boat about 6 weeks ago. It beat the prop up pretty good too. I ordered a new rudder and port through Skidim for around $380. The prop will be another $100 to repair. I'm installing the new rudder myself, so that will help save a few $$$. Otherwise it was still a $500 stump.
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-28-2008, 6:55 PM Reply   
tore the skeg of my boat in the delta, never did find what I hit. If it wasn't for the extra ballast pump we had in the boat we had only two options, beach it or sink. Total cost was mid 4k.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-28-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
bryan is right. i always hit stuff in the delta. they should make boats off limits on the delta mostly wake boats.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-28-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
with a few exceptions ^^^^^^^^ if you know what i mean.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-28-2008, 10:15 PM Reply   
they need some taxpayer funded big log/ lumber filters and skimmers for the small stuff to clean the Delta waters before we send it all down to LA.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-28-2008, 10:28 PM Reply   
Chad 4 grant to get the boat fixed?
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-28-2008, 10:39 PM Reply   
we had an incident with a club boat a few years ago - everything under the boat except the hull was damaged and needed replacing. was at least a couple of grand - can't remember exactly now though.
was all covered by insurance though! :-)
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-28-2008, 10:47 PM Reply   
Yup. Hit a rock bar this year. $6K in damage. Sucked hardcore. Good news is, my insurance will only go up $30 a year!!!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-28-2008, 11:04 PM Reply   
^Not bad considering the damage.

Poser, Hope your boat's not f'd!

I've hit quite a few things, never damaged anything luckily.
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-29-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
yep flight. It was around 4,500 or so. There was prop damage and about a 1 1/2 inch hole in my boat where the skeg bolt had ripped through.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-29-2008, 7:46 AM Reply   
I drove through a brick wall in mine but it's a Sanger so it didn't even scratch the gel coat!
Old     (echo_parker)      Join Date: Feb 2008       12-29-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
I was on the river in Parker AZ. 11:00 P.M. (Malibu 23 LSV) the water was still high. We floated down for a while,we left a half hour later the same way we came in. I was going 25 m.p.h. and drove up onto a rockbar in the middle of the river. It ripped off all the underwater gear,the prop was folded and the shaft was bent, major gel coat damage. I managed to push the boat off the rockbar and to the shore. the damage was about $14,000 all I paid was $400 the boat was about 8 months old. I had it fixed, sold it and bought a new one.
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-29-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-29-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
Yea, the Parker Strip can be rough if your not familiar with the area, especially to the north a couple miles from the dam. The river makes a couple of hairpin turns & the rocks on the outside would be brutal on a boat.

One year we were at Mike Mack's shop jumping on the trampoline after a day on the river. After dark we hear a boat running wide open, then a crash & silence, followed by some screaming. We jump in 2 of Mike's boats & rail up to where we think it was coming from. We come around the corner & using a spotlight we're able to see some debris floating in the river, seat cushions, a cooler, orange life jackets, etc. We find 4 people & pull them out..... all drunk out of their mind. And then we see a pair of sponsons sticking up thru the surface. They missed a turn & ran a 28' picklefork into the rocks. They bounced off the rocks & left a pair of 300 hp Yamahas sitting on the bottom of the river.
We took them to the ramp where their truck was parked.... and the sheriff was waiting for them.

The next day the river had swallowed up the boat.... no idea if they ever found it.

There was a time when many insurance companies would cancel your policy if they found out you frequented the Parker Strip.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-29-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
I've done 7K of damage twice in 4 years... doesn't sound like I am a good driver does it!

Anytime you do damage to the bottom of your boat it's gonna cost you 5K at least. New strut, new shaft, new rudder, gel-coat repair all adds up to about $7k.

Stay away from the Sac river if you don't want this to happen to you... it is not a matter of "if", it is only a matter of "when"...

-Uj
Old     (thescott)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-29-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
wake (buguru)...what's the story behind that???
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-29-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
^^I'm curious about that 5k minimum number. Is that with the work done yourself or by a dealer/shop?

I figure if you do some not-so-bad damage to the underside (let's say... prop, shaft and strut are bent, but the rudder is fine.) That's maybe... 1.5k in parts.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-29-2008, 5:45 PM Reply   
i have yet to wreck a boat but my dad was out on lake mead surfing about 50 yards off shore and hit a rock so hard the guy surfing ended up in the back of the boat. prop mushroomed, bent the shaft support, spiderweb cracked the whole back of the hull. boat still isnt fixed so i dont know the costs involved. personally i would have drivin it to the middle and pulled the plug.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-30-2008, 5:24 AM Reply   
Scott - looks like the classic anchor the nose only on a sandy beach and forget about it. One good wave over the bow = too much weight to raise the boat over the next swell and well, there you have it. The pics turn my stomach.
Just a guess.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-30-2008, 7:01 AM Reply   
My parts were more than $1.5K. A new prop is more $600, new rudder was $700 or 800,... I think parts is closer to 2.5 than 1.5K. Maybe you can get cheaper if you buy direct... these costs were all done through an insurance claim.

Fiberglass work all depends on how much damage and how good you want to fix it. The last guy I had work on my boat showed me how the first guy did not chase the cracks all the to theirs ends... this equates to shotty workmanship that you may never know about. Matching the gel coat is another area of high cost. if you want your boat to look like new add on many extra hours. If you just want to fix it yourself... sure, subtract at least $1500!

-Uj
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-30-2008, 7:33 AM Reply   

quote:

By Scott T (thescott) on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 4:51 pm:

I believe those pictures are from a lake in Texas, but I can't recall for sure. They have been floating around for years and years. If I remember the story correctly a freak storm came in and took down several dozen boats with ocean like waves. Some people were able to make it out by hiding behind that island. I'm almost positive that is somewhere in Texas.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-30-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
Ive seen waves like that come out of nowhere on my lake here in Central Florida and Ive seen that happen too - most boat owners keep an eye on the weather every second when it looks sketch. I'd rather cut a day short then end up like that. Here in Florida you can typically just drive around the offending storm to the other side of the lake - if your paying attention.
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-30-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe those pictures are from a lake in Texas, but I can't recall for sure. They have been floating around for years and years. If I remember the story correctly a freak storm came in and took down several dozen boats with ocean like waves. Some people were able to make it out by hiding behind that island. I'm almost positive that is somewhere in Texas.

Sam is correct. I just found these pics from along time ago. Just love seeing the M-craft going under
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-30-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
Looks like the Columbia river near Vantage & Crescent Bar can get occasionally.
Loading the boat on the trailer in 4' chop can be loads of fun!
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-30-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sam is correct. I just found these pics from along time ago. Just love seeing the M-craft going under

I believe it was Sam Rayburn Lake near Jasper Texas. It's a huge lake too.