Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-09-2005, 11:33 AM Reply   
So I was sitting in the "office" this mornin reading my new snowboarder magazine and was reading an interview with professional snowboarder John Jackson. In the interview he was asked the question if his parents know he smokes weed on a regular basis. to which he answered yes.

now I'm not tryin to open the "compare and contrast wakeboarding vs snowboarding" can o beans but what is it that makes snowboarding portray pros how they actually are and pro wakeboarders so screened from the public. I know that there are a lot of pro wakeboarders who smoke and we can all guess who they are but how come none are open about it. several snowboarders openly admit to their lifestyles such as MFM, nate bozung, and now john jackson.

Even when I see posts even remotely involving a wakeboarder and a substance related abuse it rarely graces this board for long and is quickly deleted. (dave dub please let this one live for at least a day!)

what is the difference and if I am incorrect what wakeboarders don't hide their lifestyle?

Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       11-09-2005, 12:15 PM Reply   
I think that if they do that they should not come out about it. Its better for the sport if they keep stuff like that behind close doors. A lot of young kids look up to the pro, and want to be just like them. We don't want all of the young kids in our sport thinkin its cool to smoke cuz the pros do.
Old    i_love_shelton            11-09-2005, 12:18 PM Reply   
Because man its a family sport way more than snowboarding is you need a lot more parental support in wakeboarding
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-09-2005, 12:21 PM Reply   
It's all about marketing. Snowboarding markets itself to a younger crowd. Many 14 to 20 YOs can spring, or get there parents to spring, for the goods to snowboarding. Most parnets aren't gonna buy their kid a 50K plus boat, especially if a pot smoking image was displayed openly. While certainly an older crowd can relate to pop smoking, mst of us stopped years ago.

Wakeboarding is an older demographic. How many in the under twenty crowd own a boat? Let alone are actively in the market for a new wakeboard boat. The boat manufactures control the riders, and their open habits/lifestyle. They don't want that image, the rider's won't portay it if they want a paycheck.

Plus do you really think that Mastercraft want's to promote blunts and operating a boat? If rider's talked about it in a mag, then in the next page he's in a mastercraft ad, how does it look? Maybe OK to some, but wouldn't be the best marketing plan for the market's demographics.
Old    swass            11-09-2005, 12:26 PM Reply   
What's the benefit to a pro athlete being open about illicit drug use? On the down low sounds like the prudent choice to me.

(Message edited by swass on November 09, 2005)
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-09-2005, 12:29 PM Reply   
Swaas, it did wonders for Ricky Williams career!
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-09-2005, 12:43 PM Reply   
Not really...he has one touchdown since 2003 and his production is underwhelming at best. I think stating that you smoke pot in a public forum ought to land you with a ticket at lesat and court appearance at worst.

Before some of you decide to jump all over me about that view...I don't necessarily have it out for potsmokers, but it is still illegal.
Old    byerly137pro            11-09-2005, 12:44 PM Reply   
Scott Byerly's wakeskate had 420 written on the bottom, that seems pretty open to me.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-09-2005, 12:53 PM Reply   
gatorboards seems pretty party orientated as well. I think they have Tim Kovacich smoking a cig (parliament) in an ad as well shortly after his drop from lf.
so what everyone is saying is that the boating industry drives the sport of wakeboarding? I definately see the correlation but what about originality. Harris seems to be one of a kind and seems to live his life how h wants and not how he should.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-09-2005, 12:59 PM Reply   
I agree with Eric. Anything that is a lifestyle choice is his/hers own business. The real question should of been why would a reporter ask such a stupid question. What did it accomplish? Is John Jackson that lame of a person that we need to ask about his drug use? I mean at least result to the "worst pickup line you've ever used" question?
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-09-2005, 1:01 PM Reply   
if you dig deep enough or look hard enough, you will find it. they try to keep it underwraps but you would be really surprised who does what especially in the Florida scene. if parents really knew what happened they wouldn't be all that excited about "lil johnny" wanting to be a pro rider. same can be said about all professional sports i guess.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-09-2005, 1:03 PM Reply   
I think its the other way around I think wakeboarding drives the boating industry. look how all towboats have some sort of ballast and towers as opposed to 5 years ago. what if wakeboarding didn';t exist what would happen to BU, mastercraft, nautique and the rest? I know money rules in this world and thus the boat companies decide who does what "the golden rule" but as to wakeboarding being a family sport...... thats a stereotype. I ride with my boys and never my parents in fact my parents took out our boats maybe once since we got it and never this summer and its on a lift behind our house.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-09-2005, 1:08 PM Reply   
Adam are you about not knowing the real truth. why would you not? Its questions like that that give us a glimpse into the REAL lives of pro riders and you know what.... it kept me reading and it will probably keep my subscription goin to there mag because they tell it how it is and don't censor. 1984 man its everywhere... things are not as they seem
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-09-2005, 1:12 PM Reply   
Your right Ringo. Back in the mid 90's ski boat companies were dropping like flies, and the industry was hurting. Wakeboarding saved them. But are you implying that wakeboarders smoke pop? I know a dramatic number more that don't, than do.

But, I still stand buy what I said above. If the marketing people at the boat companies wanted that image, that'd grab it. I'm don't know of the exact numbers, but I'd bet you a lid that more 25 to 40 year olds buy more boats than 15 to 25 crowd. Traditionally, the 15 to 25 crowd smokes a hell of alot more pop than the older folks.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-09-2005, 1:35 PM Reply   
"but I'd bet you a lid"

Jeff showing his age.
Old     (fifitrixabelle)      Join Date: May 2004       11-09-2005, 2:20 PM Reply   
maybe because there is actual driving involved in our sport?
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-09-2005, 2:24 PM Reply   
Ringo I not naive to what goes on and I am sure many pros and posters here alike use whatever it may be. But that question is meaningless. I don't think any different about him knowing that. I want to know what tricks they are doing and how they are going to step it up. Not whether or not he uses illicit drugs.. But then again, you are now going to continue to subscribe to a magazine on the basis of knowing this John Jackson information, start handing out the Pulitzer. If I wanted to know this I would subscribe to High Times. Hence "Snowboarder Magazine".
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-09-2005, 2:56 PM Reply   
Jeff hit it on the head...

Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-09-2005, 2:57 PM Reply   
Again what does it matter whether he is or isn't. Do you need to use to wakeboard no. If you do so what. Unless you feel some connection to some pro for knowing this, it is meaningless IMO. But by asking that question their "keeping it real" I guess.

(Message edited by uppledup17 on November 09, 2005)
Old     (brian0384)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-09-2005, 6:00 PM Reply   
I think it has to do with location... Most snow towns are small little ski-towns where everyone knows everyone, and everyone is there to relax and chill out... wakeboarding is more everywhere, you don't have to be in a small town way up in the mountains..... or atleast this was my case when I lived up in Steamboat for a yr.(total pothead town)
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-09-2005, 10:32 PM Reply   
I think the US needs to legalize pot... People smoke weed, its a fact of life. I was blown away when I got to school at how many people smoke regularly and still maintain high GPAs and have a high quality of life and are productive people. Just because you like to get high doesn't make you a bad person in my book. If the US legalized marijuana for recreational purposes, think of how much less crime would be on the streets with dealing pot etc. Also think of the tax revenue it would bring... and you could get "the good sh*t" all the time haha... Some people say pot is a gateway drug, I agree to a point, but if it was available for recreational usage people might not abuse as much. Look at alcohol, its legal, people still abuse. Anyways, I find it somewhat funny that he would be open about it in an interview, but if he does, so what. Many pro snowboarders do, skiers as well and I imagine many pro wakeboarders smoke pot. It comes with the "free" ride atmosphere, of cutting loose and relaxing etc...
Anywho, flame on, flame me, call me a hippy and a pothead (I am neither), will I deny being at college? nope

btw, jeff makes a good point, many of the 'hardcore' guys I ride with on my lake are all older, hence no pot, but theres plenty of beer!
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-10-2005, 4:01 AM Reply   
Being as kids do look up to pro athletes, I would condone the overt display of either drinking or smoking by pro athletes. That said, why the hell can't the guy to my right fire up a spliff when the guy to my left is drinking and talking my ear off because the booze has negated his stupid filter?
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-10-2005, 5:39 AM Reply   
Isn't alchol the true "gateway" drug?
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-10-2005, 7:15 AM Reply   
There are pro athelets that have murdered people, gotten DUI's, used steroids, raped women, assulted women, attacked fans and smoked pot.

Not saying that I condone any of that behavior, but seriously, smoking pot is BY FAR the least harmful of all of the above ('cept maybe the roids, but that's still cheating!)...

Our country is really a** backwards with some stuff. You can molest a kid (which in my book you should be shot in the head for doing) and be out on the street in less time that the kid who was caught driving around with pot in the car. People will tell me that in not the case, I know a girl who is spending 4 years in prison for BEING IN THE HOUSE when the cops busted it cause someone was selling weed.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-10-2005, 7:29 AM Reply   
All the arguments are not relevant while there are laws on the books that say use/possesion/distribution are illegal. Not saying I agree with the laws, but they are still there and wanton disregard is still just that.

Forget the argument about crime being less if we legalize pot...do you really believe there are people out there committing crimes to get $10 worth of pot??? You're crazy if you do. Crack and meth are only slightly more expensive, harder to get, severely more addictive, and the most likely candidates when it comes to people committing crimes to obtain them.

Pro athletes are role models? I think that went out the window with Daryll Strawberry and Pete Rose. Probably went out with the "black sox" back in the day. I just wish...and believe me it's only that, that people who have the public eye behaved more like role models than they do. I am not assigning value to either of these individuals and hope I am not putting more pressure on them either, but if more people in the limelight conducted themselves like Shaun Murray than T.O. that would be a good thing right?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-10-2005, 7:55 AM Reply   
ok... maybe I was wrong with the crime related pot dealing. What I meant was there would be less dealers. I guess I would deduce that many dealers start out with pot... maybe not, but if people also weren't smoking pot that had additives in it such as cocaine, meth, whatever which I hear is very possible in many batches of marijuana... you know, it would be safer and less addictive
I agree 100% with you eric, T.O. needs to be dealt with. However, by the logic of the way this country is run they figure "Hey... lets give this illiterate f*ck more air time to try to speak a coherent sentence that was written for him on paper that way he can try to make a few hundred million more dollars in his lifetime and contribute nothing to earth"
Old     (brian0384)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-10-2005, 7:59 AM Reply   
As for the legalziation of Pot, it's started... Alaska- can have up to a quarter pound for personal use, Denver- just legalized an Ounce for personal use..but the catch is... you can have it in your home.. it's illegal to have it in public, in your car, and to buy or sell it. So basically it's illegal to receive it and transport it, but if you can get through that and get it in your house, then it's ok... oh yea growing is still illegal!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       11-10-2005, 8:05 AM Reply   
To each his own is what I say. Its none of my business what someone else does with their life. Just keep it to yourself.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-10-2005, 8:15 AM Reply   
Right on Jeff and the point I have been trying to make. Legal questions aside because this is not what the thread was intended for. Whether any pro does or not, just like anyone with in this online community, it is your personal choice. I am not a better or worse person for knowing this. It has proved no purpose. IF it effected his riding ok now we can talk. People lead their own lifes and make their own decisions, I just don't need to read about them.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-10-2005, 1:02 PM Reply   
What I was getting at with my posts is you came across like "Holy sh*t he said he smokes pot, why would he say that yada yada" Ringo made the point that Snowboarder was portraying the lifestyle side of things in the interview a bit to make things interesting I guess... media sells controversy basically. I don't know why they would ask or tell about smoking pot other than the media...
"People lead their own lifes and make their own decisions, I just don't need to read about them."
I strongly suggest major censorship from newspapers, news on TV and SNOWBOARDER magazine lol
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-10-2005, 4:39 PM Reply   
Pot has nothing to do with wake boarding and vice-versa Although there are many boarders who smoke pot. These are two seperate topics, some people partake in both.
With a growing family I find it harder and harder to sheild them from the bad. So I choose to educate them on the perils.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-11-2005, 2:04 PM Reply   
wboarders have about the same percentage of pot smokers as do snowbarders
and engineers
and doctors
and laywers
and cops

I think only polititions out toke us.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-12-2005, 7:08 PM Reply   
Someone pass the chips please......
Old    alanp            11-13-2005, 8:26 PM Reply   
brian pot is very much still schedule I federally controlled substance. while some states may have choosen to regulate the use of pot less aggressively pot is still an illegal substance to possess, grow, and use(federally)
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-14-2005, 4:57 AM Reply   
mmmmmmm.......brownies.....(drool)
Old    tcboarder            11-14-2005, 8:52 AM Reply   
Byerly had 420 on the bottm of his skate because that is his birthday not because hes trying to tell people he does drugs.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-14-2005, 9:13 AM Reply   
not quite true, I remember an old ad when he had his baby blue and white wake tech pro model. It had a huge "graffix" sticker on it. Some people here will know what graffix makes. I will tell you that it has nothing to do with his birthday.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-14-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
graffix = high quality equipment
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-14-2005, 11:56 AM Reply   
Doesn't everybody put ther birthdate on their board?
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-14-2005, 1:53 PM Reply   
haha nacho, thats awesome.

I think that for the younger crowd including me, smoking pot is a norm for our culture. Especially if you live in california. Ive seen people smoke pot in just about any location at anytime. When I lived in chico for two years I don't think I had a friend that didn't smoke.
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       11-14-2005, 3:55 PM Reply   
Personally, I have nothing against pot. But it is a fact that drug use has a bad stigma. You young people might be able to impress your peers by openly admitting to toking up, but it is not a recipe for success in mainstream culture. You will find out that openly admitting drug use will in no way help you in the business world. Get used to that fact. For the most part pro wakeboarders have.
Old    justsomeguy            11-14-2005, 4:14 PM Reply   
Is rampant pot use one of the reasons why the majority of wakeboard "pros" that I have seen on TV sound like such dimwits? Or are these guys just naturally slow and unable to speak a full sentence that doesn't sound like an even more illiterate Spicolli?Is rampant pot use one of the reasons why the majority of wakeboard "pros" that I have seen on TV sound like such dimwits?

Or are these guys just naturally slow and unable to speak a full sentence that doesn't sound like an even more illiterate Spicolli?
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-14-2005, 4:19 PM Reply   
HAHAHAHAHA
Old    justsomeguy            11-14-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
Like whoa Mr. Hand, double text.
Old    low_key_wake            11-14-2005, 4:53 PM Reply   
snowboarders dont have to opperate heavy machinery
Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-14-2005, 8:20 PM Reply   
i used to think watson was awesome, then i saw a pic of him on his myspace that said "blazed", and yes, he defiently was...he totally lost points in my book
Old    low_key_wake            11-15-2005, 11:20 AM Reply   
on the other hand, hitting a tree baked isent good either.
Old    dyonisus            11-16-2005, 8:47 AM Reply   
Basically it should be a persons discretion to admit to the usuage of pot or not.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-16-2005, 9:04 AM Reply   
"Is rampant pot use one of the reasons why the majority of wakeboard "pros" that I have seen on TV sound like such dimwits?"

Probably not, more likely just a conscious choice to be stupid...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051014.wxcanna1014/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=54893
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8155
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/10/051016083817.htm
http://www.neuroreport.com/pt/re/neuroreport/abstract.00001756-200002280-00013.htm;jsessionid=D7lZ3Zu1CJoCn1MlcG84KgCLV6Kb9aSZz1I5Cc Ub8RraNaTbqFJQ!232945895!-949856144!9001!-1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4286435.stm
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-16-2005, 9:18 AM Reply   
BTW, here's society's "approved" way to get smarter... Feed your children amphetamines!

http://www.utdallas.edu/~cxk034000/VisualAnalysis.htm
Old    00wakesetter            11-17-2005, 2:30 PM Reply   
John, i couldnt have said it better. When i was younger my parents tried to get me to take that stuff and it truly is "leagal speed."
Old    h60swimmer            11-17-2005, 11:29 PM Reply   
It's funny that this thread started...Pro wakeboarders are the "rock stars" of there sport...they are just young men and women living lives that most of us would do if we could....so if they want to party and go crazy I say good...to many people live in boundries that society sets....we all have done things that others would say "thats not right or thats not what we did" but in reality we did that or wanted to do that....stop being hiprocits...love wakeboarding for what it is to you and stop letting what you read in magizines influence you...its all about family, friends, and fun!
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-20-2005, 9:48 AM Reply   
No! its about indy glides off double-ups, cooler full of beverages, a tank of gas, bumpin tunes, bikinis, and butter conditions.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-20-2005, 10:36 AM Reply   
Toking is a lifestyle,just like wakeboarding...If you don't like it,don't do it!

to this day i'm still to meet somebody that doesn't smoke or that didn't smoke...that I'm aware of!

I don't know anybody that had too many to drink that can tell me or somebody else different but I could be high as a kite and nobody in this world would know any different,in fact you probably met me high.hahahahahaha AND NOW WHAT??

Get over it people,80% of the people toke in the U.S. and everybody in the world knows it so I can't understand why people that live here have such a hard time believing\understanding the fact!
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-20-2005, 7:37 PM Reply   
"to this day i'm still to meet somebody that doesn't smoke or that didn't smoke...that I'm aware of!"

Ed count me as one, never have and probably never will. My wife hasn't either, but you haven't met her.

But I have no probs with people that do. It certainly isn't any worse than drinking. All I ask of user is to keep it away from us that don't. I have the same rules for people that smoke cigs. I certainly can care less what people are smoking, and it certainly would effect my opinion of them
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-20-2005, 8:57 PM Reply   
Jeff,yes you and probably few more people that I have met on WW but I don't think of you any less.(your going to Berryessa RIGHT?!)We will change that.(stimulate your mind Jeff,stimulate your mind j\k..

Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-20-2005, 9:31 PM Reply   
80%???

Please enlighten the 20% of us "non-tokers" where this number came from...
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-21-2005, 8:15 AM Reply   
If it weren't for the drug test I have to take, maybe
Old    obsurfer            11-25-2005, 6:52 AM Reply   
If you could get video of any snowboarder or wakeboarder stoned verse unstoned. They well always perform better "un". You just think you are doing better. So maybe the feeling of being the better cuts you free and opens you up to try something you would have never tried.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-25-2005, 7:39 AM Reply   
Oscar,you are one of the 20% so don't worry about it.
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-25-2005, 10:43 AM Reply   
No worries here Ed. I was just wondering where your "factual" numbers came from...
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-25-2005, 11:40 AM Reply   
Big Ed, I hate to disagree, but....I do. I use to think exactly like you and it's more likely that 80% of the people you meet are smokers. That is probably because of the circles you travel in. Just like for those who don't smoke thinks "nobody I know smokes", that's untrue also. They don't know anybody who smokes because they don't smoke.

I would assume the number is more 40-60 to do-don't, but I have no factual data to back that up. I would say 70% have tried it, but I don't count those people as being smokers. The "I tried it at a party once" doesn't count in my book.

It's all good, just a little friendly debate.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-26-2005, 8:07 PM Reply   
now I'm not tryin to open the "compare and contrast wakeboarding vs snowboarding" can o beans but what is it that makes snowboarding portray pros how they actually are and pro wakeboarders so screened from the public. I know that there are a lot of pro wakeboarders who smoke and we can all guess who they are but how come none are open about it. several snowboarders openly admit to their lifestyles such as MFM, nate bozung, and now john jackson.

After you haave a olympic medal taken from the sport it is kind of hard to to hide the fact that some top riders in the sport smoke pot. I think thats why they would be more open to the public about his use of pot.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-27-2005, 11:11 AM Reply   
Steve,you might be right but from my teenage years to know my life and the crowd I hang with dramatically changed but the % really did not.