Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-04-2008, 3:59 PM Reply   
Are there limitations or is a DO NOT DO thing, to leave weight in the boat when trailering? I ride with some local guys and filling up the sacs takes about a half hour out of our already short ride time, unless on the weekend, so I was wondering if you could keep the weight or some of it while trailering it to allow for more ride time.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-04-2008, 4:09 PM Reply   
I kept about 600 lbs of lead in my 205 for years without any problems. But I had it scattered throughout the boat, used a tandem axle trailer & was no where near the limit on the trailer.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-04-2008, 4:11 PM Reply   
Check your trailer load rating and the load rating of the tires. You have the toyo proxie tires on your extreme rims right? Check out the load rating on those bad dogs first.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-04-2008, 4:14 PM Reply   
I do it sometimes if we're gonna ride again the next day. Pumps aren't working at the moment so I have to take the plumbing apart to drain it out. She's only on the road a couple of minutes to the ramp and back though. I usually take it pretty slow though (more often than not I've got people riding in the boat on the way there and back anyway)
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-04-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
There are a lot of factors Tyler. Distance traveling, road quality, type of driving (downhill etc.), where the weight is in the boat, what type of weight, what type of boat, what type of tow vehicle, what type of trailer etc.

I personally trailer with a bit of lead, I tow with a tahoe, drive VERY carefully with the lead, no major uphills or downhills, the lead is evenly dispersed on a tandem trailer.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-04-2008, 7:09 PM Reply   
if you leave bags filled they will be bouncing around on the road alot more and stress the floor and more importantly put spiderweb cracks in the hull. lead is solid and doesnt not bouce nearly as easy, but still is extra weight stressing the hull and floor.

when i had a boat and worked on the leake, i would stay 2 minutes from the ramp so we would leave the all extra weight full but drain and stock ballast.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-04-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
heard of busted axels. definitely is not a recommended option
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-04-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-04-2008, 9:10 PM Reply   
nice pic but would be cool if you could see 4 sets of vented disc's with some big reds
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-05-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
The problem with weight in a boat on a trailer is that all the weight is dispersed through the relatively small surface area of the bunks. When the boat is is in the water, the extra weight is dispersed through the entire hull so you expose your hull to way more stress on a trailer. Add a few bumps in the road and you really get more stress. If this creates problems in real life when you trailer a boat with weight, I do not know but have no doubt you increase your chances of stress fractures. Of course there is the added stress to the tow tranny too.

I suspect you would be OK with a sac or 2 filled, but wouldn't think of trailering it with full ballast that most people load into their boats.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-06-2008, 5:46 AM Reply   
i trailered about 10 miles with 600lbs rear ballast. (also 400 in lead scattered out) We had been home about half an hour putting things up when I noticed the tires were warm.

definitely would have been a problem if we had further to tow...
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-06-2008, 6:00 AM Reply   
Don't forget added tongue weight to the tow vehicle and it's rated tow capacity.
Old     (freewake)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-06-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
Like Matt said "There are a lot of factors Tyler. Distance traveling, road quality, type of driving (downhill etc.), where the weight is in the boat, what type of weight, what type of boat, what type of tow vehicle, what type of trailer etc."

We towed a 97 Sunsetter with 1500 lbs of sacs in the back of the boat, on a single axle trailer. The trailer was not stock...it was a galvanized steel trailer, but I'm not sure of the rating on it. We towed with a 95 T100 about 2 miles to and from the water at least three times a week for years. The only problem we ever had was overheating the brakes on the truck once from going downhill. Other than that, no problems to speak of. The boat, trailer, and truck and still running strong to this day.
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-06-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
Distance: 1-2 Miles
Road Quality: moderate to bumpy
Road Surface: Flat
Boat: Malibu V-Ride
Trailer: Tandem
Weight: Back lockers (500lbs) and bow (250)
Type Of Weight: Sacs
Tow Vehichle: Full Size Chevy
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-06-2008, 6:30 PM Reply   
i would just invest in more/faster pumps