Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (redracer2003)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-07-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
when trying to get someone up do you need to hammer down on the throttle or can you gradually ease into it and still pop them out of the water? also when practicing edging drills should a person be pulled at say 10-12 mph instead of the 21-23 mph?
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-07-2007, 8:25 PM Reply   
DONT HAMMER THE THROTTLE!!!
you dont need much gas at all for a begginer. that doesnt mean give them hardly any gas, but not to much
10-12 is way to slow for wakeboarding unless its a small kid. 18-20 is whatshould be good for wakeboarding beginners, but if they start jumping at all, 20-22 (or faster if you have a big enough boat) is good. if they get really scared of the speed at 18-20 then slow it down a little bit.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-07-2007, 10:03 PM Reply   
10 mph is surf speed.
Old     (redracer2003)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-08-2007, 4:33 AM Reply   
i was watching a section of "The Book" and there were a few drills they said to use the speed of 12 mph so the fall isn't as hard. Hope more people can elaborate on this!!
Old     (matt5)      Join Date: May 2007       06-08-2007, 5:33 AM Reply   
I just started this summer and somewhere in the middle is good to gradually get up. once their comfortable with that try more throttle. 18 mph works for me.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-08-2007, 6:36 AM Reply   
When I teach a newbie we don't go over 14 mph until they get some board control. Very often once they get up it takes a few tries to get the board under control so it is no sliding out from them. Once board control has happened then I will work up to 18 MPH until they get comfortable. I was able to teach a guy this weekend who has never done any water sports and he was up on his thrid try. It took him a few more attempts and the board control started to come around. As for getting them out of the water we go with enough juice so they can feel good pressure without pulling them over the top. The lighter the person the less gas they need.
Old     (gervy)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-08-2007, 6:43 AM Reply   
i was watchin the book to and 12 is a good speed for edging drills...also its fun to screw around on slow speeds like that

(Message edited by gervy on June 08, 2007)
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-08-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
I go about 18MPH when a boarder gets their board legs. Going as slow as 14MPH is just going to wear them out fast since the slow speed is going to require a lot more upper body strength to maintain. Getting out of the water, I ease it until I see their rear end clear the water line and then I floor it to cruising speed. Seems to me after they are out of the water, too much time to think about what they are doing is a bad thing.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-08-2007, 7:24 AM Reply   
I usually pull new people at 16. 04 x2. At this speed the water is soft for face plants and still fast enough that they aren't having to expend a ton of energy.
Old     (eric_ms)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-08-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
COACH..... I am having trouble getting my girl up any suggestions. I have taught lots of people through the years but cannot figure her out. help....
Old     (redracer2003)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-08-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
thanks for the replys!!!!!!