Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 07, 2006

Old     (john15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-01-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
i'm regular footed rider and i was wondering how to load the rope on the cable lakes to do raleys and stuff. is it easier to go switch or toeside into the corners or can u still use the heelside aproach?
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-01-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
I ride regular foot on the cables. all you have to do is cut to the inside rather than the outside. Switch would not be easy unless you're already extremly good at riding switch.there's a video on my myspace page cutting to the inside doing a couple backrolls www.myspace.com/bendowell
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-01-2006, 6:24 PM Reply   
If you cut to the inside, wouldn't the rope go slack, and then rip your arms off? The one time I didn't cut to the outside, I got served!!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-01-2006, 6:31 PM Reply   
that would be true if you did it in the short section of the cables but on the long runs you have plenty of time to cut back out to get around the corner. if you watched the video on my myspace page you'll notice one time I got yanked and another I just let go. that was b/c I was loading the line in the short section and not cutting back in fast enough. the only reason I was doing them in the short section is because then I was just learning how to do backrolls and was getting tired of walking all the way around everytime I ate it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-01-2006, 6:37 PM Reply   
gotcha..I thought you could only do air tricks in corners. I'll have to try
Old     (john15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-02-2006, 7:56 PM Reply   
alright but like how do u make it so u get that pop to get into the air i am wondering.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-02-2006, 9:04 PM Reply   
this is for a backroll. you are riding regular, you want to cut out as soon as you get around one of the corners. Once you cut out cut back in. hold a steady edge all the way until you get a good tension on the line, make sure you're well inside the cableway. now that you're on the inside with a good amount of speed and tension you need to lay back on a really hard edge, hold the handle in close to your stomach, stick your stomach out. Now you should have a enough tension to pull you out of the water, kick down with your back foot and look over your left shoulder. make sure you keep the handle close to your body. this is how the world cable wakeboarding champ (josh rice) taught me how. so follow those steps and you'll be doing air tricks on the cable in no time.
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-03-2006, 5:05 AM Reply   
You edge hard to load the line then you flick your board our from under you. Like if someone grabbed your feet from behind and pulled. That's the best I can explain it, don't do it on a corner do it on a straight way. You have to edge until your butt is almost on the water. Make sure you get the board back down under you quick or you'll eat it! It happens quick
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-03-2006, 5:53 AM Reply   
John, its all about speed a line tension. its easier to get speed cutting to the outside cuz the cable is whipping you out that way. However, you can still build just as much speed cutting to the inside (just takes more effort).

So the key is to get as far outside as you can and make a solid turn back towards the middle. You have to do a progressive loading edge just like behind the boat, but you have a much short time to do it. Load it up HARD! then release. The best place to learn it is right off the dock. Hop in and start loading up. It doesnt get any more outside than the starting dock! (plus you dont have far to walk if you fall)

You will find that being a regular stance rider is better on the cable than goofy. YOU get the help of the cable on your weaker stance. When goofy footers learn switch tricks, not only are the on their weak stance, but also dont have the help of the cable.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-03-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
Jason, i've gotta disagree with what your saying there, what d'u mean about the cable helping.
i'm a cable rider here in UK, and am regular, but wish i was goofy cause it opens you up for learning a whole load of trix because of the directoin of the cable. If your a regular rider, my best advice is to practice your switch as much as possible then you can start to learn the bigger trix.
i learnt my regular raleys going straight from the dock. Let your self cruise for a second then start cutting and through it just after you pass under the cable.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-03-2006, 9:58 AM Reply   
you're right harry, regular riders are at a disadvantage. It's a whole lot easier if you're goofy because you can swing out with a lot of speed to pull an air trick. although I have seen regular riders do big s-bends cutting to the inside.

Harry, do they have any cableways on your side of the world that rotate clockwise? I've heard there's only 2 in the world?
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-03-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
Harry, you wish you were goofy so that you could do your tricks with the help of the cable cutting to the outside, right? Well, goofy guys have to learn trick switch not only on their weaker direction but also on the harder direction on the cable. At least when you cut to the inside on the cable you get to do it on your good direction. So yes, initially you wish you were goofy, but in the long run being regular will be better. You follow what Im saying?
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-03-2006, 1:35 PM Reply   
I had to read that a few times to understand what you're saying. you're saying it would be easier to learn tricks to the outside riding switch than it would be to learn tricks to the inside riding switch. good point, never really looked at it that way. although I would still rather me goofy or ride a cableway that rotates clockwise.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-03-2006, 2:24 PM Reply   
I have observed the same thing as Jason mentioned. Regular riders are forced to ride switch quite a bit on the cable. Plus, when they are performing their air tricks switch, they are using the outside which is better than the inside. So even though the cable favors goofy riders, in the long run it seems that the regular riders benefit from being forced to develop their switch skills.

I know a lot of cable riders that are regular riders and perform switch tricks like it's natural. But not the other way around.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-03-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
very true, I had no clue josh rice and some of the other pros at TSR were regular footed until I asked them. you wouldn't be able to tell, especially when their doing switch double s-bends
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-03-2006, 4:06 PM Reply   
exactly.

Regular:

Good stance = weaker cable direction
Switch stance = good cable direction

Goofy:

Good stance = good cable direction
Switch stance = weaker cable direction

So, to me the hardest setup to learn is the goofy switch tricks. While they have the advantage as beginners, the have the hardest time getting to the advanced riding because they have to combine the two weakest links.