Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       05-12-2003, 5:47 PM Reply   
I just bought some new tires for my trailer and chose radials over the bias ply tires that came on the trailer. I didn't think much about the new tires until my first trip to the lake. My trip is about 220 miles round trip and I'm estimating I used 2 to 3 gallons less fuel than I normally do. This was based strictly on the gas gauge not actually checked, but I will check it next trip. I talked with a tire guy and he said this was possible because the radial tire has less rolling resistance than a bias ply tire. Anyone seen this before?

Greg
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-12-2003, 7:21 PM Reply   
Hope they're not Carlisle Tires......Those are an absolute joy to replace every 6 mos of towing....
Old    steveaz            05-12-2003, 7:38 PM Reply   
Greg, what the heck did you go and do that for....you're supposed to be getting rid of that boat and trailer

Gee Ryan, I guess I was lucky, I got almost a year out of mine
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-12-2003, 8:15 PM Reply   
I have about 50 miles on mine and already have one going flat. My 3rd boat with Carlisle tires and they all suck. They can't hold air.

Steve, what tires did you get to replace?
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-12-2003, 8:16 PM Reply   
Goodyear Marathon.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-12-2003, 8:17 PM Reply   
As it turns out, Carlisle is aware of the problems. But it seems (at least according to the person that I talked to) that they've only had problems out west. I just had a complete tread separation on a tire that was all of 11 months with maybe 5,000 miles. Probably closer to 3,500 really. After calling the trailer manufacturer and then Carlisle they shipped me 5 brand new tires at no cost.

So if you've had problem with tread separation you might want to give them a call and complain if needed until they take care of the problem.
Old    steveaz            05-12-2003, 8:26 PM Reply   
Brent.....Goodyear Marathons.

I did call my dealer and they said they would replace the tire as Carlisles have had some problems....but I didn't want the headache and don't trust them.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-12-2003, 8:56 PM Reply   
They replaced mine with ones that are rated for a heavier load. It turns out that the Carlisle tires I have are manufactured by Goodyear. Anyway, the news ones are supposed so solve the problem and the slight damage to the trailer is being covered by Goodyear. So I just have to pay to have the tires mounted and balanced.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-12-2003, 9:09 PM Reply   
Bill- Do I need to go back out to Extreme or is all that taken care of?
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       05-12-2003, 9:17 PM Reply   
Steve, I'm still having intense talks home, but it's not over the trailer....seems what rides on the trailer is more of an issue. I hope to have some news for you on that in a couple of weeks.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-12-2003, 10:13 PM Reply   
Mik, hopefully you can pick up a replacement wheel/tire from them this week and bring it down on Friday. I'll give them a call later this week and then let you know.

Aren't boats fun?

Old    wakedad            05-13-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
I also have a Carlisle that won't hold air on an Extreme trailer. I have not had any other issues.
Old    riverfreak            05-13-2003, 10:02 AM Reply   
nice to know I'm not the only one having tire trouble, every 6 months I get new ones....was running nylons, now trying a 6plys, rated for more weight.....