Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old    talons            09-03-2005, 9:57 PM Reply   
OK...

Here is where I am...Looking at three boats...

2000 MC 205 - 460 Hours - $25K - minor nicks etc...one "ding" on the bow that I am sure a good glass guy can fix - See photo

1995 Malibu Sunsetter 480 hours - $18K

2000 Centurion Elite V Drive 165 Hours - $25K

All are appointed about the same give or take...

Would appreciate any advice.

The money difference on the malibu is not really a big deal...Whatever the best boat for the money

BTW...Its me, my wife and my three year old son...

I am a skier who wants to try wakeboarding...I am sure that my son will be wakeboarding in the next 3-5 years...My wife likes to chill...

Looking for something that will last for 5-10 years

(Message edited by talons on September 03, 2005)
Old    talons            09-03-2005, 10:02 PM Reply   
MC Ding
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-03-2005, 10:21 PM Reply   
Hands down the Mc 205. this boat has the same hull as the x-2 but is a direct drive instead of a v-drive. This will make a good waterski boat as well a great wakeboard boat when you weight it down.
I'd try to get the price down a little to pay for some of the repairs, and have a marine mechanic check the motor and tranny.
resale will be better on this boat than the others as well.
check boattrader and flipsell for comps.
good luck.

Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       09-03-2005, 11:29 PM Reply   
the malibu sunsetter is a sick boat! my uncle has this boat with a wedge and the wake is almost as big as my malibu vride wake. i would go with the malibu for a lot of bang for the buck.
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-04-2005, 8:33 AM Reply   
I agree with Tom. If you start wakeboarding and REALLY like it (like most of us here who have gotten addicted) you will be glad you went with the 205. Much better wake than the other boats mentioned. Do what Tom said - get comps then find out what it is going to take to have it fixed. You'll want to feel like you are getting a good value - especially at the end of the season. A lot of us ride year round, but for most the season is just about at an end. That means boat prices should be dropping a little.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-04-2005, 9:45 AM Reply   
MasterCraft but get the price down or have the owner repair it. That looks like about a $800-$1000 repair bill at least. Think depreciation. Go to NADA.com and review the amount of depreciation that has occured on the Cent and the BU. APPLES TO APPLES. MC is a better investment. You will get more of your money back later. Plus it is a BETTER built boat by far.
Old    talons            09-04-2005, 7:17 PM Reply   
here are photos of the Cent, MC and malibu...The MC is clearly more "Seasoned" as you will see from the photos.

Change any minds?

BU

BU 2

Elite

MC

MC 2

MC 3

MC 4
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-04-2005, 10:38 PM Reply   
Hobie, What part of the country are you in?
it's hard to tell from the pics the condition of the boats but the 205 does look a little beat.
In no. california I'm pretty sure a clean MC 205 can be had for around 25k. If that one is beat up offer 20 or 21. Or keep shopping for another one. I really think that a prostar 205 is the best boat for the money. This time of year a lot of boats will come up for sale, be patient.
Good luck.
BTW, looks like you'll also have to replace the rub rail if you do buy and repair that boat.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-05-2005, 9:12 AM Reply   
Tom gives good advice, keep shopping...

I would stay from any boat that has been beaten that badly, that MC is just way too rough for a 5 year old boat. I would imagine that the drivetrain, interior, etc. would also have been treated with disregard.

The Malibu looks nice from the picture, save the bucks and go for that since you are a skier anyway. If you find yourself boarding more in 5 years you will probably want a different boat anyway.

You will not like skiing behind that Centurion Elite V. Since it's going to be a few years before you are focused on boarding don't sacrafice the skiing in the near term.

To answer your question to choose from these three, based on your post I would recommend the Malibu of from these 3.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-05-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
not that I know anything about how any of these boats run, but as someone concerned about the details... The Wakesetter doesn't have enough seating area... while you THINK that it is only your wife and 3 year old, you will need a third person if you ever want to ride. Also, when you own a boat, new friends come out of the wood work. You will never have any trouble finding extras. I would look for a boat that has optimal seating.

The centurian is better, but I can't tell if there is a seat behind the driver. A lot of boats dont have one, I guess that's so people can get in and out without stepping on the seat or space to put an ice chest. Again, I prefer the extra seating.

Just my opinion and something ELSE to consider when looking at boat options.

Good luck
Old    talons            09-05-2005, 1:57 PM Reply   
MikeSki...Great point...

Anyone that neglects the exterior...probably neglects the interior even worse...

BTW, I am in Seattle, WA...Anyone have a used 2000 205 or 205v with this level of "Stuff"

2000 Mastercraft Prostar 205, 20' has a 330 horsepower motor! The options include cockpit cover, depth finder, AM/FM/CD player, dual batteries, cockpit heater, hot/cold shower, jump seat, spare prop, wakeboard tower, tower lights, board racks, water ballast system, and a tandem-axle trailer with side guides and new tires

Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-05-2005, 3:30 PM Reply   
or it could have just been an accident, a one time thing. look for cracks in that tower though the early zero flexes did that. the price isnt that bad i saw one sell with that many hours that was clean with less options for 30k this year.
Old     (rektek)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-05-2005, 7:37 PM Reply   
that boat was hit very hard, mastercrafts are tough as nails, I'd stay way from that boat altogether. keep looking if you don't like one of the other boats.
Old    talons            09-05-2005, 9:17 PM Reply   
Ya...I've already sent a note to the dealer on that one and told him that I am not interested...

If anyone else would like info on it...Please let me know.

I think I am going to wait out a 2000 or newer MC 205
Thanks very much for the opinions and insights.

(Message edited by talons on September 05, 2005)