Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-25-2005, 11:41 AM Reply   
My boat is having issues where its lurching when I'm getting up to speed. I was told by my dealership that it sounds like the fuel filter needs to be replaced. Only my dealer is far away so I was hoping to do this myself.

So first, the owner's manual says I have an in-line Indmar 556003 and a spin-on Indmar 786020. The dealership said its just an in-line I have and they use a NAPA 3248. The Boat US near me just carries Frams. Does anyone know the Fram compatible for that?

Also, once I get the fuel filter, where is it located in the engine? The manual doesnt show it at all. I don't have big mechanic type skills, but have changed the oil myself and was told this is no more difficult. What do you all put down to absorb the gas as I assume this will be a slightly messy job?

Thanks!
Old    bobbymucic            08-25-2005, 12:27 PM Reply   
My 02 malibu vlx with fuel injection only has the in-line filter. It is located on the fuel line, near the gas tank. It is accessed by removing the seat bottom just above the transmission ( mine is on the starboard side of the tranny).

You need to loosen the hose clamps to remove the old filter. Check to make sure you have the new filter on in the right direction, then tighten.

Off the top of my head, I recall the item number to be wix 3033?? You can cross reference at Napa

http://www.napaonline.com/

good luck

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-25-2005, 12:50 PM Reply   
Yep. It sits along side the fuel tank under the center rear cushion. That's an easy job. Can't miss it.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-25-2005, 2:06 PM Reply   
Cool! Sounds easy.

I called another shop closer to where my boat is and they said they don't have the specific filter I asked about, but that all in-line filters are compatible. Do you guys believe that? I looked up the Napa part on the website and couldn't even find it there!
Old    bobbymucic            08-25-2005, 3:00 PM Reply   
It's all about the inlet/outlet tube size. Different sizes are out there.

I think 3/8 is want you want.

Napa # FIL3033 ~$5
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-26-2005, 10:30 AM Reply   
Cool. Thanks. There's a Napa place just a couple minutes from me out there too!
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-29-2005, 7:02 AM Reply   
Argh. Turns out its a 1/2 inch I need, not a 3/8! None of the local shops down at the lake had that size. All they had was a "universal" which apparently doesn't go up to 1/2 inch.

One place even told me that my boat doesn't use the regular fuel filter, but requires a special micron fuel filter that runs $80!!

I'll head back up to the Napa shop today and get one that fits. My boat still ran this weekend, but we were limited to surfing (which ain't so bad) as it lurched heavily at wakeboard speeds.

It was really easy to find and see how to replace though! Thanks. Only difficulty was in getting to that screw which is holding the filter onto the boat. I couldn't get it off. Was just going to duct tape in the new one till I had a better way to remove the old one.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-29-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
You will prob. be able to just push the filter outta the mounting ring.

Why not just order the part from discount inboard marine www.skidim.com

Wix part #33299
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-30-2005, 9:07 AM Reply   
Got the NAPA 3248 part last night and it looks just like the one in the boat. The dealer also recommended just sliding the filter out of the mounting ring. Until you said that I hadn't considered just sliding it out.