Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-29-2004, 12:56 PM Reply   
I've had 3-4 sessions since i had the christmas off wakeboarding(2-3months), I had my 3's and tonnes of grabs down, and was working on backrolls.

Since i've been back i've got video footage and it seems that I've completely lost my approach to the wake, any ideas? have a look at this, it sucks

BADCUT
Old    dustin313            02-29-2004, 3:35 PM Reply   
it looks to me like you have alot of weight on your back foot and maybe you are coming of edge as you are getting close to the wake. Try to lean back and not just squat. If you hit the wake with your knees real bent you will just absorb the wake instead of popping off the wake.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-29-2004, 3:50 PM Reply   
Push the handle lower and close to your hip push your chest out at the lip of the wake and stand tall let the board do the work to accel through the wake you are trying to force it
Old    upupnaway            02-29-2004, 6:50 PM Reply   
I see the same thing Dustin does. You are leaning away from the wake. get your shoulders square.
How far out do you start your cut? If you keep coming off your edge as you get close to the wake, try starting your cut a little closer to the wake.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-01-2004, 8:24 AM Reply   
Your elbows are bent absorbing some of the loading on the rope. Straighten out and load more of the spine
Old    tattoobling            03-01-2004, 9:39 AM Reply   
Same thing here. Stand a little taller and keep the handle down closer to hip level.
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-01-2004, 11:05 AM Reply   
looks to me like you are getting off edge and flattening your board right at the wake
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-01-2004, 11:25 AM Reply   
yeah, think thats about it. I used to have it perfect, but for somereason getting back at boarding after christmas its all gone pear shaped. think i just stopped thinking about the basics and when i came back i carried on "not thinkin bout the basics". guess i just gotta relax and take it easy again. (maybe even wait till it gets warm, i'll probably put a post up saying - how does the cold affect your boarding???)

cheers
Old    deltahoosier            03-01-2004, 12:55 PM Reply   
Sometimes when you are getting your sea legs back, you end up way to far out before starting your approach to the wake. You end up getting on edge earlier and then flatten out at the wake because you not used to the speed.

Try going out 3/4 to 1/2 the distance and work on laying on that edge and taking it up instead of out. You will then start getting used to the speed again and you will have improved your form.
Old    deltahoosier            03-01-2004, 12:57 PM Reply   
Also, when you shorten your cut, you need to get wieght on the front foot earlier in the cut. That will get you in position and will make the board carve better for you.
Old     (wakejumper8)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-02-2004, 8:32 AM Reply   
This happened to me too after being out of the water for 10 months. I couldn't get my edge back and therefore couldn't go wake to wake. Then I started to get some fear because I kept landing on top of the wake on the other side and was concerned about blowing my knee out, which then started a mental block for me. Once my mind was blocked, I hesitated everytime and flatened my board out at the wake. My friend pulled in the rope 5 feet and I got over both wakes again. Then the mental block was gone and I could focus on the basics, which will come back once you get the groove back. Good Luck!
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-02-2004, 9:06 AM Reply   
i've got it back, just took a little more time at the cut in, it took 3-4 sets but its back. got all my grabs back, just need to start back at my spinnin and inverts.

cheers