Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   
Just curious who else has been through this and how long the recovery time was. I broke one lower rib and seperated at least two others, basically where your ribs are meant to curve in mine now curve out.

Im three weeks out now and the break doesnt bother me but the seperation really hasnt healed at all. It seems every motion you make involves that "core" area of abdominal muscles.

Ive heard anything from six weeks to a full year to allow this to heal, and im interested in hearing from other people who have had seperated ribs. Im still hoping to be able to ride in september, or at least be on the mountain in November. Thoughts?

www.wakecoupons.com
Old    sierradrinker            08-03-2005, 10:25 AM Reply   
how about hearing opinions from a doctor?
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2005, 11:24 AM Reply   
you think i wasnt there getting a shot of morphine when it happened?

Here is what I was told.....

Nothing can be done for broken or seperated ribs except time, healing process is anywhere from six weeks to a year or more and it may never heal right.
Old     (lakeday)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-03-2005, 11:30 AM Reply   
i think i did the same thing a couple of summers ago. i still have a spot that sticks out on the right side of my rib cage. i guess that will probably always be the case. as far as healing time, it seems like i did mine in early July and it hurt the rest of the season (thru August). i did some limited riding, but couldn't do much more than simple wake to wake and the pull of the handle and jolt when landing didn't feel too great. i think it didn't bother me at all anymore after 3/4 months.
Old     (kingbriana)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-03-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
I did the same thing to my left ribs last September. It took six weeks before I was back to normal activity. I still have two ribs that stick out. My doctor informed me the "juice is not worth the squeeze" to fix something that is cosmetic. It will be too painful and recovery time will be just as long or more as the original injury. The ribs still move from time to time, I just don't have anymore pain. Good luck on your recovery.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2005, 12:40 PM Reply   
Thanks Brian, my left lower ribs is where this injury as well. Its doubtful I will be riding in six weeks seeing as how much it still hurts just to cough/sneeze/laugh/sleep/anything else.

Im not afraid to ride injured, last year I sprained my ankle and decided that taking it easy meant rave slider sets in too big of bindings. ( my foot was too big for normal bindings lol ) the year before I rode on a bad knee that hurt so much i needed help getting out of my board, yea stupid i know. My point is if i thought I even had a chance of riding yet this season I would be out there....this one took me the f out.

Still hoping maybe someone who took a long recovery time could shed some light on how long it took and whether anything they did helped the healing process at all.

Im still hoping to at least be wakesurfing by september.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (speedy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-03-2005, 5:54 PM Reply   
I'm on my 3rd break in the past 5 years. This one is a week old and doing better than the first.
First time 6 weeks, second time 3-4 weeks, this time I'm shooting for 3 weeks. That is time until I ride again, pain lasted for a couple of months, and it is still tender if I lay face down on something solid (such as a surf board).