Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-17-2008, 6:06 AM Reply   
Okay, so we are trying to sell our 1996 Sea Ray Sundancer 240. I came up with a roughly 21-23k value, but my dad said that he found it to be worth less.

If I had pictures, I'd post them, but I'm kind of a ways away from the boat right now, so that won't be happening.

The boat is in great condition. There's nothing wrong with it that can't be fixed with cleaner. The entire cabin area is immaculate, minus a flaw where the plastic panel on the refrigerator is too big for the fridge itself, so it's all bent up and crooked. which is odd because it came like that... Anyways, here are the options:

Depth Finder
Transom Shower
New AM/FM CD Player with 6-8 speakers
Never used head.
Electric Range
Refrigerator
Sink
I think the engine is a 212 Mercruiser
Single Prop
Transom Swim Platform w/fold down ladder
Dual Battery
Fresh Water Hose system
Hydraulic Trim
Soft Camper Top w/ plastic windows all around
Bimini Top
15 foot cover for main deck
Snap in carpet

I can't think of anymore options right now. I've used NADA, but that doesn't actually have any kind of options for some of the things that this boat has, which is slightly frustrating. So yeah. Any ideas about what it would be valued at? The boat is 12 years old, has 344 hours on it, and is in near immaculate condition. Only problem that we've ever had with it was recently when the engine wouldn't idle, but we solved that by burning all of the old gas and filling it back up. Did you know gas only lasts around 30 days now?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-17-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
Why don't you go on as many boat websites that sell boats and find your boat model and year and see what they're going for. NADA has no bearing on what you will get for the boat, or what you should ask for it. You've got to see what you're up against when trying to sell a boat.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-17-2008, 7:34 AM Reply   
Nu bu is right about looking up what other boats are worth. However, he forgets the one place where NADA is extremely important: most banks use NADA (or something similar) as their price guide. If your potential seller has to take out a boat loan to buy the boat, that loan is likely going to be a percentage of the NADA value. If you're too high above NADA, you're going to lose a lot of prospective buyers.

Out of curiosity, if you didn't get your 21-23K price from NADA, where did you get it from? And where did your dad find it to be less?
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-17-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
I got it from NADA, and my dad apparently found it to be less on NADA, so I don't know...
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-17-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
One thing when I was looking at & pricing used boats with Nada, I had a guy tell me that you have to price the boat & trailer separately. This could raise the value of your boat/trailer a couple grand in some cases.

I always assumed the trailer was included. But when I said something to the guy at the bank, he said he usually does it both ways to cover his bases.
Old     (silverwake)      Join Date: May 2007       01-17-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
Usually, there will be a note that says whether the trailer is included in the NADA price or not (from my experience, they're normally separately priced. Go to the back of the NADA book to find the trailer values). As said above, go to boattrader.com or boats.com or something like that to find the value of your boat.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-17-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
NADA options are excactly that. Most of what you listed are standard, not a paid-for option. Use the base price. Look at comparable boats on the web and you should have a fairly good idea of what it is worth. Of course, the boat is worth only what a buyer is willing to close the deal for.