Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (sang_bangin)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-19-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
Yo, does anyone know when they are coming out?
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-19-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
The local dealer here in MN said they'll have 1 or 2 by this weekend to check out. So, they are shipping. Call your area dealer and ask them when they are expecting their first ones in.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-19-2009, 9:23 AM Reply   
MN Inboard?
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-19-2009, 9:29 AM Reply   
Salinas Valley Marine had a demo 2010 a week or two ago.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-19-2009, 9:36 AM Reply   
Yes, MN Inboard is supposed to have a VLX and maybe a VTX by the weekend.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-19-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
This week I believe. I know that Paradise here in So Cal is supposed to get some. Mine is supposed to be delivered as well.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-19-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
You getting a wrap on that thing Dave?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-19-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
No, I don't think so. It's just going to cost too much for me to justify it, even with the discounts I can get. I'll probably do a ghetto wrap with some big ol' stickers!! :-)
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-19-2009, 3:02 PM Reply   
I saw one this weekend on the lake, but the factory is here so it could be a test boat.
Old     (davidggriffith)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-19-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
my friend in hollister bought salinas valley 2010 lsv 3 weeks ago it is an awesome boat
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-19-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
Anything that started being built after July 1st is a 2010. The boat will be in build for a week or two and since all boats are coming from the east coast, could take a few weeks to get to their location. So they will be arriving any day now for dealers who have ordered them.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-20-2009, 6:27 AM Reply   
My buddy already has his 23LSV with the new tower.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-20-2009, 6:41 AM Reply   
lets see some pics of the new ones that have been shipped
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-20-2009, 8:31 AM Reply   
I wish I could, but it looks like mine has been delayed another week.
Old     (brd4fun)      Join Date: May 2002       08-21-2009, 11:06 AM Reply   
I will try and take a few this weekend.
These were taken by jonyb at wakefest.

Upload
Upload
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-21-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
Augh, once again, that tower is horrible.
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       08-21-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
Can you get the tower in all black? If it was one color I think it would better.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-21-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
The tower is not for everyone, but neither was the Illusion and that one was a hit.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-21-2009, 2:16 PM Reply   
IMO, that boat is hideous. The windshield, the tower, the venting, the mixed up fonts, the colors, the lines -- ugly!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-21-2009, 2:32 PM Reply   
I agree. Ugly. But I'd probably still buy one. Functional, sick wake, best of the best quality and tons of space.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-21-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
Remember that episode of southpark where Indiana Jones got raped by the directors??? Thats what I feel happened to this wakesetter only with designers.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       08-21-2009, 3:36 PM Reply   
^^^^^HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-21-2009, 3:36 PM Reply   
what the hell did they do to the 'wakesetter' font...?
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       08-21-2009, 3:50 PM Reply   
its still a sexy boat, tower is ok and graphics are ok.

you can still get the boat with different tower and graphics.

right?
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-21-2009, 4:13 PM Reply   
not my thoughts, but i completely agree:

my girlfriend: "looks afflictiony" hahaha!
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-21-2009, 5:59 PM Reply   
I went through the factory tour a few weeks ago, there may also be a delay because they have gone to a 4 day work week. Not sure if it's 10hr days or not.

Off topic a little: the Axis boats have gone to monocoque construction where everything is glassed together (seats, gunwales and floor are one piece and fiberglassed to hull) which I think is a huge plus.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-21-2009, 8:39 PM Reply   
vlx has snapout carpet in 2010 as well
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-21-2009, 11:50 PM Reply   
I prefer the look of my 2000 BU with a boss tower.

1 2
Old     (haven)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-22-2009, 5:21 AM Reply   
if you took the tower and decals off those 2 boats above they would look alot nicer. whats with malibu chopping and changing every year. just make their boats date quickly.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-22-2009, 7:41 AM Reply   
I do like the center W S sticker. It doesn't look like the transformers badge anymore.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-22-2009, 1:31 PM Reply   
Nick, I think you've got it. I think I would be OK with that tower if it was all one color.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-22-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
The tower is all one color, that is an option shown above.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-22-2009, 3:56 PM Reply   
If you could turn that tower around, move it forward, and have it slanting the correct way, (toward the rear) IMO it would look a lot better...
and the font has to go
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-22-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
I saw the boat in person today. All in all it was pretty nice. The tower is not as bad to me as some of you make it out to be. Yeah the font is changed but it looks fine.
The one thing i did not like was the snap out carpet it looked cheap.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-22-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
I'm blown away that someone could call this boat ugly! I can see if it's not your cup of tea, but ugly? I don't understand that at all. I think the boat looks incredible.

After seeing the boat in person this weekend, I kind of feel bad for taking for granted the fact the I'm going to have one of these in a few days. I never really checked out the 2009 VLX, so all I know is the 2008. I think this boat looks great!! I love the way they removed the rails from the bow and put them below the deck height. I like the way the playpen is set up with backrests. The windshield is super clean since they basically eliminated the frame. The walk-through is wider. They removed the speakers from on top of the dashboards and put them in the walkway. Not sure if that will sound better, but I'm glad I don't have to clean stuff out of them any more. On that note, they added stainless covers to all the speakers, which is way better than the plastic chrome covers on my 2008, which didn't last long in the sun.

The tower looks much better in person. I'm told that they will color match it eventually. It's a unique finish, which is similar to the finish of the frame around the engine compartment. The fold down is awesome with the gas shocks. You can do it with one hand, but you still need to undo two allen bolts to make it happen. I'm also told that they are working on a simpler pin system instead. That would be nice. With a couple more allen bolts removed, the tower really folds extremely low, which is nice for people that have to get into a low garage.

The Maliview is just way too cool. I'm stoked that pretty much all the major manufacturers are doing computers like this in their dashes. I tried out the Nautique, Tige and Supra version this weekend and they all had their pluses and minuses. I think we'll have to review them all at some point this year. This is great for all boat buyers.

All in all, this is a beautiful boat with some really great features. I'm going to be doing a more in-depth review this fall, so look for that. As we did with our last boat, we will be fielding questions about the boat and will answer the best we can.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-22-2009, 6:23 PM Reply   
I agree with a lot of what you said David. But I am curious what you thought of the carpet. I realllllllly thought it looked bad-not up to Malibu standards. Maybe this is just a proto type with the snap in and they will get it better. I thought the Axis snap in carpet looked nicer.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-22-2009, 7:59 PM Reply   
What about the fact that the 2009 VLX wake is very inferior to the 2008 VLX wake? Why aren't people bothered by this like I am?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-22-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
I rode the 09 wake stock and I was pretty impressed. FYI I am normally pretty fussy when it comes to wakes and I have ridden weighted up 08 SAN210's 08 VLX's & 05 X-stars for comparison.
Old     (martinez30)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-22-2009, 11:01 PM Reply   
As a malibu owner, the graphics DO suck...and so does the tower. Frankly I am still waiting for Malibu to come up with a decent design and tower. then I will buy my next BU...I must say though, Malibu interior or wake...NO COMPLAINTS!
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       08-22-2009, 11:57 PM Reply   
I saw a 2010 247 this past week and there was no snap in carpet, can someone post a picture of this?
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-23-2009, 2:52 AM Reply   
Malibu makes a nice boat, but I am not thrilled with the tower design. I do like the WS sticker over the transformer looking emblem. That same boat with the Titan tower would be rockin!
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-23-2009, 4:30 AM Reply   
Quote-Off topic a little: the Axis boats have gone to monocoque construction where everything is glassed together (seats, gunwales and floor are one piece and fiberglassed to hull) which I think is a huge plus.
Not from what i saw. I just saw one for the first time at surf expo and the seat bases are this metal crinckle finish that are screwed down and the center rear is free floating so you can pull it out and sit facing backwards.This is the one part of the Axis I didnt like.This free floating seat base has to rattle like crazy over ruff stuff and double ups.But overall the Axis is pretty neat.You have to keep in mind its an entry level boat. Nice but not over the top with "bling" and all the bells and whistles if you will.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-23-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
"Snap in" is an option. They glue in a finished fiberglass floor.

At the factory, she told me it was on the VLX, not sure on the other models.

Kevin, you sure? The mold they were spraying had the seats in it. Not sure on the rear seat, seems like you would have to pull that out for access to the vdrive.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-23-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
Kevin, I didn't even take a look at the carpet, but I should have. I'm actually looking forward to trying snap-out carpet after all the years of having the entire floor carpeted.

GD, as far as the wake goes, I haven't been behind an 09/10 VLX, but you're the only one that I've heard calling the wake "very inferior." I've heard many more positive comments than negative. Obviously, that would be very disappointing if the wake isn't as good, but I can't imagine the engineers changing the hull to reduce the size of the wake on the premier wakeboard boat, so it makes me wonder if there was another factor involved in your '09 test drive that would give this impression. However, you've certainly got more experience than I do since you've been on one and I haven't! Hopefully, in a few weeks I'll be able to give you a first hand report of what the wake is like in comparison to our 2008 boat.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-23-2009, 5:12 PM Reply   
Dave, there is a chance that the 2009 VLX that I rode was setup improperly but I was told it had max ballast, plus the bow option plus the wedge deployed for the maximum wake. The stock wake that I rode was paltry. I was very disappointed since so many had told me that the VLX stock wake was really good in previous years. Note, that I am talking about stock wake only. I am sure a great wake can be built with enough weight but thats true for almost any boat. BTW, I have heard from others that my impression was not off base -- that the 2009 stock wake is not what it used to be. And, to me, the ease at which a boat builds a great wake is important (effort/cost). So, yes, please let me know if I am incorrect. If I am, I will be sure to test the VLX again when I resume my boat search next year (postponed this year).

(Message edited by greatdane on August 23, 2009)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-23-2009, 5:26 PM Reply   
I agree with you that the ease at which a boat builds a great wake it key. That's why I loved our 2008 VLX so much. The majority of time we just ran stock ballast and the wake was amazing! I hate messing with sacks and that's the last thing I want to do to get a good wake, especially considering that I'd have to be constantly draining and filling since my kids would not want that huge wake. I'm counting on the new boat to be just as good or better!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-23-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
I hope my test ride was bogus for your sake. Yes, dealing with plumbing in lots of additional ballast is no fun -- hoses, sacks, difficulty filling/draining and mold/cleanup issues. BTW, I think the interior of the new VLX is the best available -- great function and style.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-23-2009, 5:36 PM Reply   
Qoute-
Kevin, you sure? The mold they were spraying had the seats in it. Not sure on the rear seat, seems like you would have to pull that out for access to the vdrive.

Lucky dont take what I say as cold hard fact. I am pretty sure though. Take a look at some axis pics on their site the center seat that slide they call skybox. If you look of some of the interior pics you can see the metal seat base front on the two side seats as well. It does appear that the observer and rear corners could be molded like you said. Oh also the Axis I saw had a cargo bimini that was insane. Shaded the whole boat and lots of room up top for gear.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-24-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
Here are a few pictures of the 2010 I saw over the weekend. The tower looks better in person than in pictures.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-24-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
That one looks a lot better than the one above - the side graphic is sooooooo much better and the tower is growing on me
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2009, 4:29 PM Reply   
Malibus have the best looking windshield on the market! All the other Mfgs need to pay attention to it and get rid of the 20 year old frame designs.