Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (jpuckett)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-25-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
Does anyone know where the hoses come off of the Mercury Scorpion engine that feed the heater? I had my boat out yesterday and had hot water coming out in the floor board under my feet. If I can find where they come of the engine I'll cap them off untill I can get it repaired.
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-25-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
it is proabably your heater core.. Just unhook them from the heater end and either cap them off or hook them together... You are going to have to unhook them anyways from the heater at some point..
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-25-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
I had to do this last weekend, my core must've frozen and cracked over the winter. I think I had 5/8" heater hose and just bought a coupler to hook them together until I can get a new core.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-25-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
They come off the top-back of the engine. On my Avalanche they run along the starboard side. Find the hoses in the rear locker and trace to the engine.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       05-25-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
One comes off the raw water intake (by the thermostat housing/temp sender/the small cast lump of metal with 4-5 hoses leading to it). The other comes off the engine circulatory pump - You'll find it by locating the pump (in the middle as you look at the engine - on the back if you have a V drive, on the front if you have an I/O or direct drive).

The tube will be 5/8ths heater hose (as Timmy! said) and will be labelled as such so you'll know you are removing the right ones.

Take a look at the heater - if water is spewing from it, then its likely corroded and needs replacing. heatercraft.com will be the most likely place to find your replacement.

Hope that helps!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-25-2008, 4:31 PM Reply   
I am going to pull my core tomorrow but some have pointed out that a mid 70's Ford truck heater core is about the right size and is ~$30 instead of the $80+ that Heatercraft charges. I will post back after I find out if it will work or not.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-31-2008, 11:40 AM Reply   
I wound up with a heater core out of a 1976 Ford F100 with a V8 if you find that your core is bad. They are about $20 and come with a lifetime warranty.
Old     (jpuckett)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-31-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
I took it back to the dealer that winterized the boat. The heater didn't get antifreeze throught it and it froze and cracked. The dealer fixed it no charge.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-31-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
A Ford part with a Lifetime warranty?? That's a first! ;)