Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ripping_trends)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-20-2008, 4:09 PM Reply   
Looking to buy a new boat, it's between the 24ft Enzo or the 23ft MB Tomcat. Does anyone own a MB Tomcat, if so, what is the wake like to surf behind?

Any information is welcome,

Got Pic's?
Old    mobster            02-20-2008, 5:16 PM Reply   
If you are going for the Tomcat the 08 Model has been redisigned for wakesurfing as the 07 models did not have the best wake set up this is what we were told from the owner of MB boats we will be testing 1 soon. The 24 enzo is the real deal at that price range there are more options out there The Svfara Sv3 is a great surf boat . there are more choices out there & and the boats are being made for the wakesurf market good luck in your search
Old     (ripping_trends)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-20-2008, 5:38 PM Reply   
The MB dealer near me is taking me out next weekend with the 08 Tomcat. I'm still doing a lot of research, and all suggestions are welcome, thanks for the feed back.

What makes the Enzo better?
Old    mobster            02-20-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
I think beside all of the innovations they have done more wakesurf testing so they had a lead . With everyone testing, adding more than the factory ballast & moving people to find the sweet spot the consumer has progressed to a point of having wave making knowledge . The Enzo has a good wave ,it's hull size ,the weight you can add, the switch blade add up to a good wave . You can get a good wave out of most of the boats out there it's how you go about it .You can get a great wave out of a smaller boat also. Test as many boats if you can as there are many boats with many options. The boating market wants your money make them work for it Every boat Co we saw at the boat show had a Wake Surf model, if there is a boat show near you check it out
Old     (ripping_trends)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-20-2008, 7:01 PM Reply   
I spent 9 hours at the LA Boat Show this past weekend. I spent at least 1.5 hours with the big 5 manufactures and then at least an hour with Mercury checking out their motors. The tow boats that stuck with me were the Centurion Enzo and the MB Tomcat. I'm just having a problem getting use to the pickle fork design. A few of the manufacture are going with it,I just don't want to buy a boat that will not sell in the future due to a funky nose <shrug>... All of the manufactures were trying to huck me a deal at the boat show. All of the manufactures were doing the "give me a deposit" and we can take you for a test drive. What a joke... One of the local dealers is very cool, they said they would take me out in a Tomcat and Enzo with no pressure. Jim at Castaic Boats is a stand up guy, been honest with me from the get go..
Old     (wakelover04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-20-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
Alot of the new boats are going with pickle forks these days.I think in the fauter alot of the wake boats will be pickle fork,I have never been a big fan of the pickle fork but alot of bot manufatures are coming out with pickle forks.
I ride behind a Enzo and the wave is amazing,That is why centurion is number one in the wakesurf business.Enzo is made so you don't need alot of weight to much weight and the wave is wash.Have you ever seen learn how to wake surf?? Well drews wave is amazing, you can never go wrong with that wave.I set mine up just like his and it handels great.i have never riden behind a tom cat so i have no information about that wave,But i have rode behind MB's and the centurion is way better.Thats my opion hope i could help.
Old     (ripping_trends)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-20-2008, 10:25 PM Reply   
Thanks, thats some solid information, do you have any pic's of your setup and the wake? What did you do to make the wake better? Yeah, we surf whenever we can. I have a 5'11 that my nephew rides on the front of while I surf. We get a lot of looks when we cruze by and he is standing on the front of my board grabbing the face of a wake...
Old     (ripping_trends)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-21-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
Still looking for some pic's or video of a MB Tomcat wake. I have seen the company promo, but I would like to see the boat work by some riders other than the team sponsored setup.

Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-22-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
I have the MB 220V, which is the B52 hull and the surf wake rocks. From what I understand the Tomcat didn't have any kind of a surf wake.

Here are pics of my surf wake.

http://freshmyspacepics.com/prsnl_pics/MB_Pics/mb_sw1.jpg
http://freshmyspacepics.com/prsnl_pics/MB_Pics/mb_sw2.jpg
http://freshmyspacepics.com/prsnl_pics/MB_Pics/mb_sw3.jpg
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-22-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
Chad you should take a look at the inland surfer guys boat. They are selling their 24' enzo and it is a beautiful boat. Plus it already has the 1500# enzo sack in it.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/528601.html?1198645274
Old     (ripping_trends)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-23-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
Thanks for the pic's, on my way to demo day's at Lake Elsinore for MB. Hopefully I can remember to take some pics while I'm testing.

On a side note, anyone ride the Ronix Fish yet?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-25-2008, 5:58 AM Reply   
ChadO, did you take the pics??
Old     (ripping_trends)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-25-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
No, It was raining pretty bad and the wife did not want to demo boats in rain. I tried to explain that water is water but no dice.... I will see if I can get some from John at MB Boats and post them.
Old     (ripping_trends)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-25-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
This was the information on last weeks demo days:

Come drive them for yourselves!
Our 2008 Demo Days Event is this weekend- February 23-24
Come down to Lake Elsinore Marina West (32700 Riverside Dr.) to test drive the all new 2008 Tomcat, B52v23, B52v, 220 Sport, and the Epic v23.
Call 951-377-7280 to reserve a time, or just drop by and we'll get you out on the water.
===============================
$$$ Don't miss out on our amazing winter deals! $$$
===============================

Looking forward to seeing you there,
John

Making Dreams Reality!
www.mbboats.com
john@mbboats.com
Cell (951) 377-7280
Office (951) 245-9848
Fax (951) 245-2779
18560 Pasadena St.
Lake Elsinore, CA 92530
Old    mobster            02-25-2008, 1:55 PM Reply   
We will be testing the MB Tomcat on Fri we will be shooting photos & video
Old     (ripping_trends)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-25-2008, 9:43 PM Reply   
Are you guys going to Lake Elsinore to test?
Old    mobster            02-26-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
yes that is the plan
Old     (jstieg)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-27-2008, 6:46 PM Reply   
yo jl, i dont think im gunnna make it on fri. i have a snowboard contest to go to.
Old    mobster            02-27-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
Johnny are you going to Castaic Lake thurs I'm bringing Charley Stevens & Cris Cabezas will be testing your JS model Plus the 08 Cabezas models
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-28-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
CENTURION IS THE LEADER IN WAKESURFING THEY HAVE DONE MORE TESTING AND DESIGNED BOATS SPECIFICALLY FRO WAKESURFING. I WOULD PUT THE ENZO UP AGAINST ANY BOAT WEIGHTED OR UNWEIGHTED YOU CAN'T BEAT IT.
Old     (bluto)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-28-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
Your supposed to ask for the time to give a shameless plug. And why are you yelling at us. It's rather internet rude to use all caps.
Old     (steedracer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-28-2008, 5:22 PM Reply   
Who cares about the all caps thing. I don't get it(that it matters). Anyway, Drew & Danny J. are right (yes I have an Enzo too; I'm partial to the SV230. Will order another one after this season). Not saying that others don't do a decent job as well, but it is well-documented as to how good the Centurion Enzo is at wakesurfing. MB may have a good wake for boarding, but Enzo's rule (most deep-v Centurions for that matter) for surfing. Ride behind one. Talk to the guys at Inland Surfer. I think you'll be more than happy, have a deep-V for a smooth ride, snap-out carpet(MB?-not sure)...and you won't have to put up with that two-speed transmission shift (aargh!). Good Luck in your search & decision.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-28-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
I don't represent any boat manufacturers although several have sponsored events that I have organized. Other manufacturers have also supported events I have organized. I try to provide unbiased information on things that I have first hand knowledge of. If I were a team rider (I'm too slow, old, and fat) I think I would first qualify that I have that connection and then only reply to questions directed to a product that I support. I would tend to say little about products I don't represent. The exception would be if I could help someone from my experiences.

I’ve only seen MB boats at the boat show so I can’t say much about them. The good folks at Malibu make great boats. They supported my 2006 and 2007 events. I some times offer my first hand experiences with these boats on this forum. I own an older Centurion and Centurion sponsored two events that I organized last year. So I sometimes respond to Centurion posts because I have first hand experience and I want to help.

I don’t find that posts that make simple claims, true or otherwise, helpful. Statements about how the wake is different, about a new gadget and how it works, and so on would be informative and maybe helpful. Otherwise IMO you’re just making noise.

(Message edited by Bigshow on February 28, 2008)
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-28-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
Chado, new pics of the tomcat wake and surf wake up on www.pdxwake.com, under wakesports click on pictures and video......I'm too lazy to copy the pics.....
Old    surfdad            02-29-2008, 6:07 AM Reply   
http://www.rhsmith.umd.edu/faculty/cdell/opinionforums.html

http://www.rhsmith.umd.edu/faculty/cdell/papers/onlineopinionforums.pdf

There were some Yale studies that I can seem to locate any longer.

I am more circumspect these days. There are some dated but interesting studies about the value and processes of online opinion forums. The studies define "manipulation" as a firm or representative intiated content. The social cost of online manipulation can be reduced by developing "filtering" technologies that make it costlier for firms to manipulate. Interestingly enough, it is pretty universally understood that "as the amount of user-contributed online content increases, it is firms, and not consumers, that have the most to gain from the development" of filtering technologies. So unmoderated forums like WW or WO hold the greatest benefit for consumers, when there is a significant amount of content. I'm doubtful that the posts in the Wakesurfing forum would fall in that category.

What is MOST benefical for firms is when a firm or a representative starts developing an ongoing dialog with ACTUAL consumers. Merely shouting "THE BEST SINCE SLICED BREAD" is pretty meaningless as, Ed points out.

If you go over to the boating forum - there are supposed "consumers" that post pictures of the inside of a factory repeatedly. Those are obvious attempts to manipulate consumer opinion and if they actually engage consumers in a dialog...that is hugely benefical to firms.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-29-2008, 6:30 AM Reply   
Hey Bryan,

Is that the only wakesurf pic you have?

Thanks!
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-29-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
Your supposed to ask for the time to give a shameless plug. And why are you yelling at us. It's rather internet rude to use all caps.

Guido- why is it that the only time you post is to call Drew out. Again, he makes no effort to hide his affiliations and is most likely the most knowledgeable and experienced poster on this message boards. We need more posts from people like Drew not less.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-29-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
Only,

Not my pic, but it's one that was posted recently. Sounds like stock ballast. Those guys work for Active Watersports in town. I'm sure if you contacted them they would be more than happy to get some more pics to you. Looks like they like taking new boats out!
Old     (sector7s)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-29-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS ANNOYING. Maybe Drew doesn't know that because he's been busy winning competitions instead of typing on a computer. Not sure.

Its great to have Drew on here. Fo sho! Amazing rider if not the best there is.

But posts that just say "mine is the best" are annoying and don't really help anyone. Save that for the magazine adverts.
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-29-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
"Who cares about the all caps thing. I don't get it(that it matters). Anyway, Drew & Danny J. are right (yes I have an Enzo too; I'm partial to the SV230. Will order another one after this season). Not saying that others don't do a decent job as well, but it is well-documented as to how good the Centurion Enzo is at wakesurfing. MB may have a good wake for boarding, but Enzo's rule (most deep-v Centurions for that matter) for surfing. Ride behind one. Talk to the guys at Inland Surfer. I think you'll be more than happy, have a deep-V for a smooth ride, snap-out carpet(MB?-not sure)...and you won't have to put up with that two-speed transmission shift (aargh!). Good Luck in your search & decision."

For the love of god. The topic is about the WAKESURF WAKE. Not the snap out carpet, ride, and your opinion on transmissions.

"But posts that just say "mine is the best" are annoying and don't really help anyone. Save that for the magazine adverts."

TRUTH
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-29-2008, 5:33 PM Reply   
Here is my surf wake on my B52 V23. I just had my girl friend sitting on the left side and this was the wave it madeUpload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-29-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
When your girl friend sits around the house, she sits AROUND the house?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-29-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
LOL yeah I like big butts I can not lie
Old     (angrygolucky)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-01-2008, 12:41 AM Reply   
Sorry, don't know much about the surfing setup (although i may try it this year), but I just wanted to give props to the guys at Castaic boats. They're great to deal with. Jim is a very cool cat to deal with. I got my Avalanche from him. Roy in the service dept is another up front, no BS kind of guy, which I really appreciate. They'll help you figure out what's best for you. I saw the Tomcat picking my boat up from service today. Looked cooler than I expected.

(Message edited by angrygolucky on March 01, 2008)
Old    mobster            03-01-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
here are a few shots behind a MB tomcatUpload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            03-01-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
whoa! Look at the length of the pocket. The height on the second picture is insane. C'mon JL some details - rider and board and how did you have the MB set up?
Old    mobster            03-01-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
Chris Cabezas on the 1st two Charley Stevens on the next. Charley pulled a new trick Called the Steezz The Boards are a Cabeszas Quad & New Wave Vehicles Josh Buran model We ran alot of ballast as we found most boats produce a better wave with more than the Factory ballast there is a fine line & this boat showed some promise
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-01-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
How much extra above stock did you add?
Old    mobster            03-01-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
starboard side factory ballast full fills fast with pure vert system plus 750 in the rear locker plus 800 on the seats it could use some in the bow to keep the nose down.The wave is not as long as we are used to,With some adjusting could turn out to be a good wake surf boat Upload
Upload Tyler Daugherty
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-01-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
Thats pretty frickin impressive. The wave even seems to start farther back. Looks like you have her leanin pretty hard in the one pic, two up.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-01-2008, 5:18 PM Reply   
Too bad there's no room in the nose for weight:-)
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-01-2008, 11:32 PM Reply   
No doubt Ed. We did a demo day in one and there was a mom, dad and 3 kids seated comfortably up there. Could just stick a waterbed up there!