Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-17-2006, 2:25 PM Reply   
I am thinking about selling my current setup to upgrade to faster glass, and more fps what do you think I should ask for the following items:

All items were purchased together at same time. Never cleaned sensor or even pulled lense off of
body.

Black Digital Rebel xt with BG-E3 vertical grip and batteries with approx 1500 shutter actuations.

70-200mm F4L USA lense with Hoya 3 pack filters (polarizer, UV, and Warming)

LowePro holster bag that holds everything

I know I am not going to get close to the original purchase price, but what do you guys think is a reasonable price to ask?

Thanks for looking.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-17-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
Don't sell the lens.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-17-2006, 3:44 PM Reply   
Sean, why do you say dont sell?

I was thinking about upgrading to the 2.8 for faster speed.

I recently started shooting Ice hockey (my little bro plays college hockey currently) and think that my personal experience playing is really helping me frame some nice shots. The high ISO and lack of speed is killing my shots though. I have really enjoyed going to games and taking shots. I refuse to use a strobe or flash on the basis of disrupting the game and I am pretty sure they wouldnt allow it anyways.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-17-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
If you want absolute top dollar put the lens on ebay, if you want to just get a given price that's reasonable post it on Fred Miranda B&S which is free. You'll probably need to go at least 10% less then they sell for now (take the rebate into account as well) It helps to have a Paypal account for either. I'd keep the filters as you won't get much for them and you never know when you'll have another lens that could use them. I have bought and sold the 70-200 f4 L twice (but I'm crazy when it comes to this stuff) so I can relate to what Sean is telling you!

The 70-200 f2.8 (or IS) may be the ultimate Hockey lens as everyone who shoots hockey seems to use it. Fast motion in low light - you've got to have a fast lens.

Get a 1Dmk2 if you can as great AF is a must for lowlight action. But even a 20/30D will AF much better with an f2.8 lens as some extra sensative AF points get activated.
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-20-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
I'd keep the filters for sure (like Rich said) assuming that lens is 77mm.

It's always nice to have a backup and that lens would be a good backup to a 70-200 f2.8

What body are you upgrading to?
-S
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-20-2006, 8:09 PM Reply   
I THINK the f4 version has a 58mm thread, but I'm not too sure. It's definitely smaller than the f2.8, though.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-21-2006, 6:52 AM Reply   
The f4 is 67mm which is kind of an oddball size but there are other lenses out there that will take that size. Filters are another thing that it seems like I've ended up buying multiple times!Upload
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-21-2006, 8:30 AM Reply   
good info to know. I just dropped the hammer and went straight to the 70-200 f2.8. Was a stomach churning buy at $1650, but it was worth every penny. Along with my 10-22mm, the 70-200 f2.8 are my two must carry lenses.

-S
Old     (coldlake)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-21-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
I'm looking for a RebelXT. How long have you owned it? Do you also have the std kit lens 17-55mm? What's the mfr on the 70-200? I wouldn't need the battery grip necessarily but the rest is of interest.

Post up a price range when you have an idea.....
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-21-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
I do not have the kit lense. I have been told you can pick them up relatviely cheap at FM though.

I am thinking (not including shipping, I am willing to split shipping costs with buyer with reason):

Rebel xt body $450, the B&H has new for 539 and used at 469.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=6222&A=details&Q=&sku=371189&is=REG&addedTr oughType=categoryNavigation

70-200 mm F4L USA with Hoya filters (67mm) = $525, B&H has them new for 545. Plus hoya filters are an additional $75

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=8454&A=details&Q=&sku=183198&is=USA&addedTr oughType=categoryNavigation
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=details_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=408017 &is=REG&addedTroughType=accessory_detail&addedTrou ghValue=183198_USA

BG-E3 grip $90, BH has them at $139

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=373932&is=REG&added TroughType=search

Edit: Owned them since approx May of 2006. Approx 1500 shutter actuations on all equipment, filter never taken off of lense. Lense never taken off of body.

To the photog experts, does this seem fair? I am looking to get a fair deal out of selling my equipment.

I am planning on upgrading to a 30D unless I can find a used 1D for relatively cheap.

(Message edited by liquidmx on November 21, 2006)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-22-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
Matt,

Why don't you just post them on e-bay with a link posted here?

When I was considering the upgrade from my Nikon D50 to D80 I just figured out what the maximum upgrade out-of-pocket was then posted the D50 on e-bay with a reserve at that point. It sold for just over my reserve but that was what I needed. I was happy, the buyer was happy, that's the beauty of E-Bay. Your gear right in the target market for e-bay.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-24-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
Mikeski -

How do you like the D80? Seriously considering that camera.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-24-2006, 10:34 PM Reply   
Have not really had a chance to take that many shots with it yet. Two single features are much better than the D50, the viewer on the back and the direct zoom in/out viewer buttons.