Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-09-2006, 10:29 PM Reply   
I want to add court lights to my interior. The lights are new and for a X30mc. Should I buy one of those graduated bits. I need a one inch hole to flush mount the lights. Any suggestions??
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-09-2006, 10:45 PM Reply   
Place masking tape on the area where you will be cutting, and use a hole saw. Run the drill in reverse. It will work fine.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-09-2006, 11:00 PM Reply   
Everything Mike wrote. Plus, be sure to drill a pilot hole before you used the hole saw.
Old    basemechanic            01-09-2006, 11:03 PM Reply   
i use a sharp hole saw to cut the holes in boats for transome remotes
the trick is keeping the cutting surface and the hole saw at the same angle and not to let it shift around i dont use tape on the surface but it cant hurt to use it
and try to make the first contact with the gel coat a smooth slow cut in reverse until your through to the fiber glass
the other way is using a stepping drill bit
to much presure on the drill will cause the gel coat to crack
in all this i guess its about a steady hand so the bit doent bounce around while its cutting
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-10-2006, 6:31 AM Reply   
I used one fo those expensive ($35) graduated bits to drill holes for my transom remtoe. I just drilled the hole in reverse, no tape, it's almost like is just "sands" thru it.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       01-10-2006, 6:52 AM Reply   
you may also want to bevel the outside edges of the hole to prevent spider cracks. There is a drill bit tool that looks like a round wedge that will do this, or you can use sandpaper.
Old     (mx21)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-14-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
I used a 2" hole saw without teeth, looks like carbide grit bonded to cutting surface. It was a lot cleaner and easier to use. I've also used router bits on a dremel for speaker cutouts. I went thru 2 of them on 4 holes-they dull quickly.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-14-2006, 8:04 AM Reply   
Use 5min epoxy to seal the raw fiberglass inside the hole.
Old    buzzy            01-14-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
Don't forget to wear sleeves, gloves and goggles. Fiberglass shards are a pain.