Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-25-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
I saw in the classifieds under the description of a boat that they always "half turn before ignition". is this a big deal? i have been boating since 2001 and just taught myself everything and read a lot on this website, but i have never heard of this.

if it is important, what is the purpose of it?
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-25-2007, 7:23 AM Reply   
maybe i'm just ignorant, but i don't understand what you are talking about... someone fill us both in...
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-25-2007, 7:28 AM Reply   
The idea is that the electrical and electronics are powered up on the 'run' setting before you ask them to do anything. Then you crank the starter. It is really of no benefit. It also dooesn't hurt anything particularly.
Now if you have a diesel it lets the glow plugs warm so the engine starts with less cranking but that's about it.

(Message edited by rallyart on April 25, 2007)
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-25-2007, 7:30 AM Reply   
I think he's talking about turning the key half way and waiting a few seconds, before hitting the starter. This gives the fuel pump and injectors a chance to get the fuel pressure up and ready to fire. The motor will usually fire quicker with less strain on the starter.....I think.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-25-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
gives a chance to turn everything on and get the gas pumping thru the lines.like art said,it will start on less cranks but with todays fuel injection,I wouldn't worry about it.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-25-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
ok... that makes sense to a degree... the half turn part got me -- nothing happens on a half-turn (only the "run" position)
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-25-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
When we bought our boat in 2002, the dealer said to do the same thing... i usually try and do it, but sometimes i just get lazy and start it up
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-25-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
it is better for the fuel pump not to run without gas.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-25-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
sorry i didnt explain the "half turn" well enough. i understand what i was saying . that all makes sense to me. i will try and do it just as a precaution i guess.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-25-2007, 9:06 AM Reply   
I do, the sound of convulsing needles and beeps is music to my ears.

Like a Pavloff dog to a bell.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-25-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
I do. Salesman of the first boat I bought said to. Didn't question it. I like to hear the sound of everything working before I crank. Probably doesn't make much of a difference if any.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-25-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
> i will try and do it just as a precaution i guess.

I'm still not sure why you would do it. The only reason I see is to allow pressure to build up in the fuel system.

If you're going to do this in your boat, why not do it in your car too? If you accept that it's good for boat, then describe to me why you would do it in your (non-diesel) car?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-25-2007, 10:57 AM Reply   
it makes the same difference in a car as it does in a boat which is not much.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       04-25-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
I do it all the time in every vehicle I drive. Now my delay is more pronounced since getting the diesel.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-25-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
If you have Perfect Pass, they recommend this method, at least for the older software. It's recommended that you let the PP system power-up before starting the motor. This gives the servo time to auto-adjust on the throttle body.

Older MC gagues also like it for some reason. They will move left to right on this p.o.s.t. and prep for operation.

Older Chevy trucks (1996-1999 Vortec) like this to. The fuel pump primes the injectors and fuel rails on the EFI motors.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-25-2007, 11:25 AM Reply   
I don't and I couldn't even if I wanted to. Keyless ignition.

No wonder Nautiques have a bad rep.
Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       04-25-2007, 11:39 AM Reply   
on some inboard boats, the fuel pump wont get power to it until the motor is turning over. The power runs through an oil pressure switch and when the pressure switch sees the slightest pressure it will close the circuit. It is a safety thing.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-25-2007, 4:32 PM Reply   
On my 2000 MB I have to do this. Turn the key and wait for the gauges to come up and let the fuel pump get some fuel moving then I start the engine about 15 seconds later.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-25-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
I always do it too, but it's gotta be a pretty anal boat owner to mention that in his ad.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-25-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
...which is a good thing for a buyer.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-25-2007, 8:24 PM Reply   
If your fuel system losses presure to the point that the pump has to reprime then you have a bigger problem. For a cold start w/o a cold start injector I could maybe see the half turn being afective as more fuel is needed for this. But after that it is not needed
Old     (tidalwake0504)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-25-2007, 8:30 PM Reply   
Cliff you can still do it, just tap the start button instead of hold it, that turns all the electronics on.