Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                07-14-2004, 7:35 PM Reply   
Here is a link to a video of my first Raley attempt. Let me know what I should be doing differently. Also, anyone try it on a wakeskate first? If so, does it help? Thanks, Ty.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=11207
Old                07-15-2004, 10:31 AM Reply   
Come on, someone had to have at least got a laugh out of the video.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-15-2004, 10:54 AM Reply   
Wakepics must be down. I can't get on from that link or any other way.
Old                07-17-2004, 6:09 AM Reply   
you are looking to spot you landind too soon. since your head is turned it lets your body open up and roll over. just a reminder, make sure you have your feet evenly weighted also. this also helps keeping your body going up even. right as you come off the wake you should look straight at the tower of the boat. try and spot the landing after you have fully extended. hope this helps.
Old                07-18-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
Thanks, I'll give it a try next weekend.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-18-2004, 8:26 PM Reply   
hmmm, looks like everything is good except that little flip at the end. keep your feet weighted evenly up the wake and look at the tower once you feel you left the wake. Then kick your legs straight back. You will feel it when you do it right, the board will pop back on its own.
Old                07-18-2004, 9:32 PM Reply   
Dude nice s-bend! Wait..... oooo nvermind. That looked like it might have hurt a little.
Old                07-19-2004, 7:37 AM Reply   
Not too bad. A little left shoulder soreness, but I kept riding for the next 2 days. Didn't try another raley though.
Old     (rhettb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-19-2004, 12:19 PM Reply   
Way too much weight on your back foot, look how high the front of your board is out of the water as you approach the wake. Even weight on both feet, like Malibuboarder said
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-23-2004, 11:01 AM Reply   
That is awesome!
Old                07-23-2004, 11:39 AM Reply   
Damn Straight. There may be more on Monday because I will try it again over the weekend.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-24-2004, 2:30 AM Reply   
that was a disaster waiting to happen even before you got to the wake.

a. you're leaving early, which led to the slack in the rope.

b. look how early you're looking up at the boat.

c. you're back-foot heavy.
Old                07-25-2004, 7:51 PM Reply   
Thanks Joe, I wish you had posted before the weekend because I did about the exact same thing yesterday. I'll have to post it when I get a chance. Pretty funny to see yourself wax that badly. So let me get all of this straight. Much more progressive edge, start to come off edge slightly at the dish, fully extended vertically at the top of the wake with even weight on both feet, and then look at the tower after leaving the wake? Then pull in and ride away with a big ass smile on your face? Thanks again and let me know, Ty.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-26-2004, 10:57 AM Reply   
I am trying to do the same thing- and it scares the crap out of me when I leave the wake trying to get my feet fully extended. Are you pushing them straight back or what?? I was under the impression that if you loaded up the right way (which I am not doing) your legs would naturally start to pull away from the boat, then the trick was to stay balanced and try and get the feet back under me for the landing. Any comments about how to attack the wake would be appreciated. Thanks, Will
Old                07-26-2004, 6:19 PM Reply   
One question regarding the even weight on both feet issue. How do you pop off of the wake correctly with weight evenly distributed between both feet? I always feel like my board will sink into the wake and punch right through it. Thanks in advance, Ty.
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-27-2004, 6:00 AM Reply   
Ty, from what I saw several things were bad wrong, and as Joe said, it was a disaster waiting to happen.
1. You edged WAY to hard at the start of your cut. All a raley consists of is an extreme progressive edge. It was explained to me as turning up the volume with a dial. Your edge "volume" ranges from one to ten. You cut out, then start with 1 and work up to about 7 or 8 right at the top of the wake. You want to build your edge consistenly, 1, 2, 3, 4... 7. Your edge was more like 5, 10, 7, 4, 3, 2. I recommend practicing your edge by cutting out like you are setting up for a toeside jump. Start at the trough of the wake and build your edge outward. Remember, knees slightly bent, handle as close to your hips as possible with your arms slightly bent. Once you have the edge consistent, then take it to the wake.
2. You came completely off your edge at the wake...big no no. What gives the raley its...."raley" is the slingshot you get coming off the wake. You want your hardest edge to be as you come off the wake. This loads the line and when the board releases your feet will be yanked behind you, then it will pendulum right back down. You are popping off the wake and throwing your feet behind you, which puts a good bit of slack in the line, which is bad.
3. More weight forward. The reason you are spinning all over the place is because you are back foot heavy. Have you ever done a wake jump with most of your weight on your back foot? The nose of the board pops up and you lose control. Same goes with a raley. The board won't dig into the wake, if it does, you either have too much weight forward, or your edge is a bit off.
Hope that gives you some ideas.
Later
Tiff
Old                07-27-2004, 6:05 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the help Tiff. Truly appreciate it. Ty.
Old                08-19-2004, 7:52 PM Reply   
You are my hero
Old                08-20-2004, 5:57 AM Reply   
Oh yeah?