Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-07-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
I just changed my steering cable the other day. It got tighter over time so it was not real noticeable at first. Well with the new cable it almost turns to easy. I started to think a ajustable steering damper would be cool. One that mounts to the steering shaft and would have no effect on the cable. They have every thing else on wake boats now. Why not a adjustable damper. Lets hear your thoughts.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-07-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
You've got two choices. One is load the rudder so the boat always wants to turn one way, like tournament boats often have. That you do by shaping the rudder to pull to one side.
The second is to add an automotive damper like many manufacturers add to a car's rack. You could add it to the rack or the rudder. If you put a few mount holes on the rudder you could change the lever and make it adjustable. The thing about a boat is that it is not affected by small steering inputs immediately like a car is so the damper does not have as much effect.

I always took off the damper on any car I had that came with one. I just figure less work is less work.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-07-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
I was thinking more like a sport bike damper that mounts on the tripple tree. My idea is to mount it to the steering shaft so there would be no added stress on the cable and have adjustment control at the top of the collum just behind the wheel. I would like to have just a little resistance on the wheel.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-07-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
That could work.