Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (whiteowl)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-26-2009, 7:19 PM Reply   
I got my Wakesurfing Mag in the mail today and as always very stoked to flip the pages and see whats new in the growing world of wakesurf. I kept flipping and flipping and as I turned to the back cover and saw DJ and Stretch, again, I thought to myself, "is this an industry magazine or is this a spring media guide for Stretch, DJ, and Josh"

Not that this is a bad thing, those dudes kill it and Stretchs' boards speak for themselves but I do think we are at a point in wakesurfing where there is more content to go around, and, we as consumers look to main stream media to deliver a wider variety of coverage. I could be way over analyzing but curious to know if anyone else felt the same way.
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-26-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
transworld publications global distribution/wakeboarding magazines' 08 board buyers guide had 181 pages,09 issue had 110 pages.
all the mags are feeling it,not just ours.
i think wakesurfing magazine balances out the ads just fine.stoked to have it,appreciate their hard work
Old     (havasu_sue)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-26-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
i love my subscription! where else can you send in ride pics and see it published next to your favorite pros in a really nice magazine
i too am thankful for the magazines hard work
Old     (whiteowl)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-26-2009, 9:13 PM Reply   
not discounting the hard work of the magazine by any means. love the magazine and will continue to subscribe and read. it just seems there may be out there to cover and there are certainly creative ways to cover the sport without spending a ton of money. perfect example, some of the south texas riders like bubba gainan and the ocean surfer crossover beck jr look like they are ripping these days. would love to see more from the up and coming riders but again not discounting the hard work of the magazine nor disappointed with number of pages.
Old     (no_stale_fish)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-27-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
The Mag is weak that DJ dude looks like a rapper wanna be
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-27-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
Hey back paddler do u know why I go by Dj it is because my brother and best friend called me jamesz and they both died so when I started Dj Ing clubs i went by that name in memory of them so keep back paddling bro.
Old     (slimjim44)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-27-2009, 9:31 AM Reply   
Back paddler has been registered for all of 1 day and is already making comments about some of the top guys in the sport? Plus, does it really matter what some one looks like?
Old     (isurf)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-27-2009, 9:36 AM Reply   
back paddler,please post up a pic of your wave and lets compare it to djjames wave.
lets then compare your air to djjames air.
if you dont step up to this call out,its because your WEAK and scared
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-27-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
Eat crow backpadddler or is it back door paddler.Wakesurf mag. rocks! and they do accept freelance articles, if you have enough writing skills to do so! Nice reply DJ Jamesz. Love your pics, you give all of us heavyweights something to strive for.(big air)
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-27-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
The mag looks really good. There is alot from Josh Mulcoy because he is the Rider Profile and Dj Jamesz has alot because he rides alot and submits photo. He also had the trick tip in there which was very good. So relax with trash talking and enjoy the mag. NIce work to the guys at Wakesurf Mag It looks great.
Old     (whiteowl)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-27-2009, 4:07 PM Reply   
whoa, got way off topic in a hurry. you guys killed this thread. i was attempting to make a point about wakesurfing growing to a point where there is a lot of good stuff to cover and how the latest wakesurf mag was a little limited.
Old     (50yearstorm)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-27-2009, 9:27 PM Reply   
OK bro brahs, I had to register just to post on this thread. I agree with all that WS mag is the BEST and ONLY thing going in actual wakesurfing press, and give mad props to the staff for kicking out interesting content each and every issue. Also want to thank them for exposing such a great sport to the masses in a professional way. So with that said, if you don't want to see so much Stretch, then buy some ad space. And as far as Dj goes, can we see you boost one of those airs with a top hat and a cane? At least some sequence shots to see if you REALLY do land those whack airs. out}
Old     (surf2)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-27-2009, 10:20 PM Reply   
When we read surf magazines should we complain that there is so much channel islands surfboards in there. No we dont, then why complain about stretch. As for josh and james, the profile is on josh. Did we complain when it was James Walker. DJ James is there anyone out there that wants to push the sport more by trying to make the biggest wave or shoots as much. Its good to have people like this in are sport. I dont care if he is making his airs or not I like the photos, I cant do that so its good to see. I thought the mag looks good and I am so stoked that there is at least a mag for our sport. Maybe we should work with the mag more and submit photos and stories from are local spots. Anyways good job cant wait to see the next mag. Hopefully kelly slater will take up wakesurfing as well as Al Merrick shape more wakesurf boards, I would love to read the complaints about to much channel islands and slater in the mag.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-28-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
James is a great rider and is pushing the sport big time. Those airs are crazy and way off axis. I know when i do shoots with surfing or wakeskating we make sure not to submit any pics of tricks that I didn't land. That is by my own choice and the with Alliance Mag and Wakeboard Mag it's just the way they do it. With that said whether he is always landing them or not it is a crazy shot. Keep Pushing James and Hopefully one day our paths will meet and we will be in a boat together riding.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-28-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
i heard that the mag will hopefully have 6 to 8 issues next year.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-28-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
What up drew yeah you know there's a barrel sitting in Cali any time you make it out .yeah we've been working on my boat ,some more to make the wave even better,its looking pretty crazy now.still got some tests to do to get it right.thanks to everyone for all the support ,thanks to mike at wakesurfmag for getting the sport out there.a d having a mag ,drew I saw your cover shot that looks sic! Yeah I've been working on those rotations still, as the wave gets better it make it easier the landing is not the problem it's getting back to the wave or landing in the flats, when I've been going for some of those big airs and you eat it,it feels like eating it of a motorcycle jump,like the old saying goes practice makes perfect,I've been working on some new tricks I will post some new photos of the the wave when we get the kinks figured out.thanks again to everyone out there supporting this sport,Its one of the most addictive sports for sure.
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-28-2009, 8:42 PM Reply   
James you're definitely pushing the sport in a positive way. Especially by bringing credible surfing sources into it. Who cares if you land or don't land those airs. You've got one the sickest wave I've seen yet. I wish I could make my goofy wake that good. Keep on keepin on man.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-29-2009, 8:07 AM Reply   
Sounds good James. I know what you mean about landing in the flats I have been working on Riding Backside and then doing Backside 3 shuvs and backside bigspins but I always throw it off the lip and like 2 feet out. Looks really cool just hard as hell to land.