Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            05-24-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
Here it is, part Conn Ugly part...what now, Jerry? :-) Jerry designed this noserider. Pictures before we attached the traction.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       05-24-2007, 11:56 PM Reply   
I've been jokingly calling it "the Ugly Nuuhuwa". Con Ugly nose with a David Nuuhiwa concave. David was the best noserider ever, Probably still is. Of course if we go into production with it, I will have to ask David if the name is cool. Probably not... Last time I saw him I was 13 trying to imitate every move he made...to no avail. Let's use it at the contest this weekend. OK, OK OK? Please? Please?
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-25-2007, 1:16 AM Reply   
oh man...I think she's a beauty, mate.

What is the length?
Old    surfdad            05-25-2007, 5:45 AM Reply   
Jerry, I've talked with everyone in the masters division and we all agreed to compete on the the Ugly Nuuhuwa :-) Dennis is talking trash because of his noseriding experience. :-)

Hey Ed, thanks. Jerry and his folks really did a good job. My goal for this summer is to be able to hang 10 off the nose. Jerry built it for that purpose rather than a simple cruiser. :-)
The length is 8'6". You may remember that longboard we played with last year, it was 10'2" this one is almost 2 feet shorter :-)
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       05-25-2007, 7:07 AM Reply   
Yes, The length concerns me. A little short for tip riding. But I think with the rad concave and the shape of the concave, We'll be fine,,,we'll see Sat...Yea rite, Jeff is probably on it as I type!!!!
Old    surfdad            05-25-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
This concept and the design are such a departure from the norm, I really enjoy being part of it. I have to tell you Jerry, I was VERY tempted to take it out today! :-) It's that dang "work" thing that keeps getting in the way of having a good time.

I don't think we'll get 5 minute noserides, but I'm pretty confident that you'll see pictures of 10's. :-)

I just hope that I'll be able to get up on the thing the first time, at the contest. When I first tried the 10'2" I got the fin in the water, but the board wasn't quite parallel to the transom, it was tail forward and it just LAUNCHED me up and over the wake! :-)

A few things we did learn from that session is that we have to add about 5 feet of rope - otherwise the nose of the board is ON swimstep. Also, because of the length of the fin, once it engages with the water, the board is off to the races. It's best to start with the nose pointed a bit forward - rather than parallel to the transom, the nose needs to be heading more at an angle...OR - start the way that Jerry does with one knee on the deck. The last thing is we have to run the boat faster - we'll try for 13-14mph and the rider has to be patient and let the wake form...so hang out in the flats for a bit then edge back in. For a contest situation, we'll need to remember that for the course length.

Also I think a good rule would be whomever provides the board, the boat, the rules and organizes is automatically declared the winner. :-) Even if he can't ride the board. :-) That certainly sounds fair to me. :-)
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-25-2007, 8:10 AM Reply   
I'd love to see this concave of which you speak.
Old    surfdad            05-25-2007, 8:27 AM Reply   
I tried to get a picture of it last night, but with the restrictions in the size of the pictures on WW, I couldn't get the detail to show up.

Now, I know you'll find this hard to believe, after reviewing this picture, but I didn't do well in my art class in high school. :-) No, really it's true.

The red outline shows the general location of the concave, but my shape and the length is a bit off. It's beyond radical.

Upload
Old     (jstieg)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-25-2007, 2:08 PM Reply   
jerry that things sick! you can nose ride that for sure. i was almost noseriding our thumb. and that things like a 6'4 or somethin.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-25-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
very cool to see it finished up. looking forward to seeing some pics of you guys tearing it up on the nose!
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-25-2007, 3:02 PM Reply   
p.s. what shape / length fin will you use?
Old    surfdad            05-25-2007, 3:33 PM Reply   
No one has ridden it yet and I've got Jerry, Dennis, Mike and I lined up to ride it for the first time at the contest tomorrow. :-) It should be great fun.

It currently has an 8" Rainbow Rake, but we do have access to a 10" and a 12" in case the fin pops out of the water.

Upload
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-25-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
looks like a lot of fun.
Old     (jrodhyco)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-25-2007, 8:15 PM Reply   
Jerry, send one to boats and boards please. I want to ride it.
Old    surfdad            05-26-2007, 5:08 AM Reply   
Doesn't it look like fun Sean and John? :-) I'll be sure to get pictures of it from the contest today.

Something I find interesting about our sport is that it offers more options for hardcore enthusiasts than many other sports. I can imagine that manufacturers would embrace this with open arms. If every hardcore wakesurfer had a noserider AND a surfstyle board AND a skimstyle board AND whatever the next evolution is. Seems to me, from a manufacturers standpoint, wakesurfers would be a lucrative market.
Old    surfdad            05-28-2007, 6:29 PM Reply   
Hey Jerry,

Proof is in the pudding :-) James is on the nose in each picture. I was able to get both feet on the nose, but this was about as close as I got to hanging 10. What I thought was most impressive was Dennis - 250+ pounds, backside and both feet are on the nose.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            05-28-2007, 6:45 PM Reply   
Jerry the design is working well. We have a 10 inch fin in it, but I think that a 12" would be more suitable while we get used to the noserider.

It sets up just like in the ocean, we would coast to the back of the pocket and stall the board. As soon as you could feel the board slow, we would scamper to the nose. :-) James was able to ride the 5 for what seemed like ages before having to back off. You have make the transition quickly or the nose grabs in the flats OR you're up on the swim deck.

We'll be hanging ten after a few more rides. :-)
Old    surfdad            05-28-2007, 6:51 PM Reply   
And it works for girls too :-)

Upload
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-28-2007, 7:23 PM Reply   
Are you starting prone on that board?
Old    surfdad            05-28-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
James did, but mostly to practice for the ocean. The rest of us did a regular wakeboard style start. As soon as the fin connects with the water, the board is going forward! :-)
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-28-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
I just got my boat. It's a 2005 Enzo. This was our first time out. I had the hardest time getting up today. I couldn't do it wakeboard style at all. I was able to get to my knee's and get in the pocket for about 30 seconds without the rope. I've surfed for about 20 years too. Very frustrating to say the least. I want to try my longboard (9'4 epoxy / popout) and start prone next time we go out. Was he already in the "sweet zone" when he popped up?
Old    surfdad            05-28-2007, 8:27 PM Reply   
Yes, I don't have a good sequence but you can see James went to his knees and then up on this effort.

We had trouble getting up with a 10"2", wakeboard style. Finally got that wired by adding a section to the rope so that we could edge out and wait for the wake to form. Make sure that the nose is pointed a little forward.

Upload
Upload
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-28-2007, 10:49 PM Reply   
Jeff, interesting thread and nice nose rides. Looks like Jerry got it right with that board design. I might be ordering soon. I'd be interested to know how long you guys can stay on the nose before backing off. With a stopwatch, you guys could compete for the longest noserides. (Something tells me James might win)
Old    surfdad            05-29-2007, 7:25 AM Reply   
Hey Jim, if you look at the pictures of James you can see that he is a bit stretched out. The Stixx logo is at the bottom of the 2 foot mark from the nose. At that location, James could probably have ridden 5 to 6 minutes. Incredibly long.

Refering back to the picture of Dennis and he is fully on the nose, I'm guessing that ride could be measured in miliseconds :-) under 10 miliseconds :-). I do believe that once we get it all sorted out, and when we aren't fighting Memorial Day rollers...James will get FULL ON nose rides in the 30-40 second range.

I think in the picture of me, I am just inside the nose, but you really need to be ON the inside rail and you can see the nose biting HARD, so I think my ride was probably less than the 10 miliseconds that Dennis had :-)

In any competition between James and I and it is just the two of us, I am ALWAYS guaranteed second place. :-)
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       05-29-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
Nice pics Jeff, Been dying to know how it went in deep water. Looks like the "Brakeing concave" is working. I think it will even work better when both feet are on the tip. This is the first time I have had somebody else do the R+D on a proto type. Drives me nuts! R+D is the funnest part of the buis. Please post or email me any pics you have of you guys on the nose. Looking at the spray coming off the nose, as in all R+D, speaks volumes.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-29-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
Looks great Walker clan! Nice work on the board Jerry!

I've resurrected our "Landlock" and have been trying to hang 5 on that board... been doing it (kind of) like this... 1)start in the far end of the pocket, 2) pump to gain speed towards the boat, 3) at the peak of the wake do a cutback towards the wake, 4) coming out of the cutback I've faded a little towards the far end of the pocket, 5) shift feet towards nose of the board and coast with the rail locked in a (semi five) back towards the boat. the rocker on the Landlock does not allow me to stay there too long, but its a fun time! I'm anxious to try a real nose rider!

Jerry - let me know if you need any R+D out here in Austin!
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       05-29-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
Hay Mat,
You know, You can get 5 on all my other models. The traction on the noses is not there just for looks. They do so because or what you mentioned, rocker and nose kick properly applied.
But this new one is about "10 toes on the nose"!! I would like the think we would have a "10" if I was doing the R+D, but by the looks of Jeff's pics we will have one soon anyway. Tip Riding is an art form and takes a little time to master. I' had since 1963, The Walker crew has only had since Sat. And look where they are already!!!! Stoked, This is gonna work!!
Old    surfdad            05-29-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
Jerry's right, we've been attempting it for about 3 hours now :-) We spent the better part of the morning just messing with the speed setting, then adjusted it again in the afternoon when Dennis and Brea joined us. I spent most of my time just getting comfortable with walking the board. Dennis and James are already past that phase :-) I think there will be phases in the learning process...the first is just getting up, the second is walking the board, the third is managing the speed hump (I'll talk about this below : ) ), the fourth is learning to turn it from the nose and then finally balancing up there on the nose.

When I asked Jerry to design the board, it was with the express purpose of hanging 10. That's my ultimate goal for behind the boat this summer. :-)

I think that we'll see James with 10 toes on the nose soon. I know that Dennis feels he's a bit to big for that board, but with his prior experience I think he'll be doing it also. I'll be a later bloomer, but it feels doable already.

Jer, I'll burn a CD for you. We got a ton of pictures so that you could see the waterflow. I think the next time out we'll mess with the speed and ballast a bit more. The hook in the concave is working like a charm...I think the bigger issue is with the rider. There is a speed hump :-) when you cross that threshold the board just RIPS forward towards the transom. It takes a bit of getting used to the fact that JUST on the other side of the "speed hump" the board slows down again. This speed hump is somewhere in the middle of the board and the board is fastest when you are in that spot, behind it slows the board down, but also, in FRONT of it slows the board down. Intuitively it feels like the frather up you go, the faster the board will go, but...past the magic line and it slows back down again.

The other part that requires some getting used to is steering the board from the nose. You've got the rail design working well. Now we just need to get familiar with...it feels like leaning, I guess. From the back of the board you push the board around, on the nose you sort of coax it in the direction you want to go by leaning in that direction.

GREAT FUN! Love it Jer.
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       05-29-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
Yes , I know one would not want to get on the tip while the board is screaming for the boat, But as you are thinking, it will slow back down when you get on the tip because of the way the concave is shaped. I noticed it doing that when we watched Mike on it Sat. That was my first clue it was going to do what I intended it to do. The rest will come to you. Have fun. I'm jealous !!!!
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-29-2007, 3:21 PM Reply   
Jerry -- yes definitely 10 on the nose is where I want to be!! Let us know when the next noseriders will be ready. Sign me up on the list!

Jeff -- what speed did you guys end up on most of the day?
Old    surfdad            05-29-2007, 3:27 PM Reply   
Hey Matt, we had the best luck at 11.7.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-29-2007, 4:23 PM Reply   
Hey Jerry,
My feeling was that the board slowed to much on the tip with me at least. The problem is getting past the fast point as you are charging the boat. You have to have faith that the board will slow down. I had better luck riding backside I think because one has to be wakeside dominant weight distribution. When ride frontside we tend to be more balanced.. Behind my Sanger I was riding around 13 to 14 mph very much fun at that speed. No problem keeping up riding about the sticker at 30 " back from the nose. For me I think that the concave hook needs to slightly less and the nose needs to be thicker to float more. The board slows down alot when you are at the nose.
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       05-29-2007, 6:27 PM Reply   
Yea Dennis,
8'6" is very short for a noserider for anybody let alone a 250lb'er. I think you would need at least 9'6" to get 10. 9'6" might even be too short. My last noserider back in the day was 9'3", and I was around 100 lbs. But was able to get on the tip in 1' surf. In surf that small ,had to walk up "gingerly" thou.
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-31-2007, 6:49 PM Reply   
How thick is that board?
Old    surfdad            06-01-2007, 7:09 AM Reply   
At the very thickest part it is just at 2.5"
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-03-2007, 2:03 AM Reply   
hmmmm oh sooo smoooth. Love it
Old     (jstieg)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-04-2007, 12:28 AM Reply   
dude jerry, send one of thoes over our way i want to try that thing so bad. looks sickkk.
Old     (mcsurf)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-05-2007, 10:57 PM Reply   
Enjoyed reading the posts. We've been riding longboards for several years behind our boat. Starting with a Pope Bisect Travel Board (Harbour Classic 9'6" Banana) and the last two summers we added a Walker 7' Speed Egg. These are both ocean boards.....but the guys end up wanting to ride these two boards most of the time. We can ride the nose and hang 5 on both...but usually stall out when we add the other 5. For the uninitiated check out Longboard Magazine (beautiful photos) and Longboard TV (on Fuel TV...or their web site) You'll see some incredible nose riding and pick up some tips. We may have to check out this new board you have. MC
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-06-2007, 7:34 AM Reply   
Mike - welcome to the site -- that is cool you are using the Pope Bisect. I borrowed a friend's several years ago to take with me to Brazil. The locals where quite intrigued as I pulled it out of the bag and assembled, and then paddled out to the break...

(Message edited by smedman on June 06, 2007)
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-06-2007, 4:19 PM Reply   
I have a 10'0 Pope Bisect. I love that board. I will be taking mine down to Costa Rica this fall.
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       06-06-2007, 4:21 PM Reply   
Matt your going to costa. Sweet I was there in Jan. Was the best trip I have ever taken. Great surf and great people. Where are you going to?
Old     (tenover)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-06-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
Ooohh Costa Rica. I love that place.

(Message edited by tenover on June 06, 2007)
Old    surfdad            07-21-2007, 7:57 PM Reply   
We have been chasing trophies for most of the summer we haven't had a chance to get back to this board! Tomorrow we are taking it back out.

I wanted to share a few additional pictures so that you can get a better view. This is the board with traction, standing on it's nose up against the truck. 8'6" is LLLOONNNGGGGGG! :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-21-2007, 8:00 PM Reply   
This is a better picture of the nose concave, note the steep step at the rear of the concave.

Upload
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       07-21-2007, 8:01 PM Reply   
Jeff,
That board isn't long my board is LLLOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG.
Old    surfdad            07-21-2007, 8:08 PM Reply   
It's really hard to see, but the nose has fairly sharp rails to allow steering or turning while riding the nose. This picture is looking up towards the nose.

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-21-2007, 8:09 PM Reply   
Dennis you're right 10'+ is WAY LONG! :-) I can't wait to get back to the noserider!
Old     (ecuadorianwakesurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-26-2007, 10:19 AM Reply   
jerry, how much for the noserider.... saw the pics and looks awesome... congrats!!! im a longboarder... i've tried to nose ride behind my boat, but once I start walking towards the tip, and it rushes towards the platform... scary
I live in Ecuador (south america) and i would love to ride one of those... let me know if you have any for sale...
thanks,
Rob
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       10-31-2007, 9:29 PM Reply   
Hay Rob, that's why the rad concave, for breaking one before he ends up in the bow of the boat, It's working a little too well. Going to feather it out very slightly for Jeff real soon. Will keep you posted. Where do you wake surf down there. Passed thru a couple times on my way to surf Brazil and Peru, but did not have a chance to see much more than the airport..Maybe I could hand deliver it????!!!!
Old     (ecuadorianwakesurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-31-2007, 9:55 PM Reply   
hey Jerry!!

we ride in some salt water channels... great condition, it can get a little smelly though, but nothing to worry about.... its called Puerto Azul, you have glass condition 24/7, sometimes little choppy because of other boats... and we also have a fresh water dam, but you need a permit to skii there...
it would be great if you deliver it yourself, that way you get to know Ecuador and new people!! you'll have a great time over here.... you can surf anytime of the year, perfect condition for longboard... i own a 05 210 superair nautique so riding wont be a problem...
i want to try that noserider!! looks awesome!!
so your welcome to visit Ecuador anytime you like...

thanks,

Rob
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       11-01-2007, 5:14 PM Reply   
Sounds nice Rob. We are heading that way on a friends 60' boat two days before Christmas to surf and fish. Not sure we will make it that far, but if we get close enough I will email you. If not this trip, for sure another time. Having a connection in a country one does not know is huge. Thanx soooo much..........Jerry
PS, Let me know if you want to come to CA. Just got out of the water. Still no wetsuite needed at the Delta.
Old     (ecuadorianwakesurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-07-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
jerry, just let me know when you wanna come and visit... the best time of the year for the beach is from december to april... great weather and warm water.... sounds nice! never been to CA... i have some friends living in CA... but none of them wakesurf...

you just let me know when you wanna come visit, I'll prepare some surf trip to the Galapagos Island, sick surfing there, huge waves!!

thanks a lot for the invitation Jerry!