Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-01-2003, 10:13 PM Reply   
Has anyone seen this ad? Looks like Grubb skating in jeans? Yellow skate, looks like a prototype composite skate? Sick riding....
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-01-2003, 10:53 PM Reply   
is that the one he filmed in mission bay?
Old    lindsayl            08-02-2003, 12:30 AM Reply   
I've just seen it twice in the past hour on MTV, definitely Grubb. Pretty cool. Can't tell where it is.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-02-2003, 12:40 AM Reply   
Just saw it again, definately a proto composite skate.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       08-02-2003, 12:50 AM Reply   
We saw them filming with Grubb at castaic a little while back. Don't know if it's the same commercial their airing now because I havn't seen it. Unless they shot more than one commercial (common) Some of the footage should be Castaic.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-02-2003, 12:56 AM Reply   
Well, he's wearing jeans?
Old    awlang            08-02-2003, 7:23 AM Reply   
What type of jeans are they?
Old    mike_mike            08-02-2003, 4:17 PM Reply   
thats gay, talk about sell out bad.

its so stupid, they try and made it moody and serious. Close up shots of his face with water splashing.

He is wearing jeans jeesus.

tony hawk for wakeskating
Old    peter_griffin            08-02-2003, 10:56 PM Reply   
No freaking kidding, Why do they need Grubb to sell JEANS!

Whats next, Bagel Bites? Right Guard?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-02-2003, 11:20 PM Reply   
Haters!
Old     (jschwart73)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-03-2003, 9:09 AM Reply   
If he banked some decent skrilla for doing it, good for him!

You'd do it if you could.

-Jeff
Old    mike_mike            08-03-2003, 9:20 AM Reply   
I would do it if the company I was doing it for had something to do with wakeboarding/wakeskating.

Nautica has nothing to do with the sport, don't support contests or anything else. They want to be the first ones to have this new sport in their commercials.

They dont have any wakeboarding/wakeskating products or anything to do with our sport.

And it just helps wakeskating become like skateboarding, which is really bad. I hope wakeboarding or wakeskating never gets like that.

Old     (wakebo2169)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-03-2003, 9:58 AM Reply   
seems odd that grubb would do a commercial for a clothing company considering he rides for billabong.......wouldn't that be stepping on their toes by doing a commercial for nautica of all people?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-03-2003, 10:09 AM Reply   
yeah man, it is so not core. who would do such a thing?

haha I think it is great. he gets to be on TV, get the sport out there, pay some bills. right on!
Old    catalyst            08-03-2003, 10:24 AM Reply   
its all fine and dandy to say hes a sellout but 10 to 1 odds are that if thousands of dolars were offered to you to advertise anything you would do it. Lets face there aint much money in wakeboarding and your carrer isnt always gonna be that long so you need to get all the cash you can get your hands on.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-03-2003, 12:42 PM Reply   
Nick, I couldn't agree more. He needs to make a living.
Old    upupnaway            08-03-2003, 12:57 PM Reply   
Bring on the cash and recognition.
Tony hawk for wakeskating? Maybe one day, but not quite yet. Quite a compliment for him though. Hawk stuck through many years of lean times in the industry before he earned his millions, showing determination, skill, adaptability and tenacity.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-03-2003, 1:04 PM Reply   
All of your points are relevant. It's really sad but true. I would really like to think that if Nautica offered me some money to endorse their product, knowing that they don't have anything to do with the industry, I would turn it down. I wouldn't, and even if I did, they would find someone else to do it. The answer is not persecuting Grubb, but calling out the poser company.

Tim - you really thing it's "great"?
Old    mike_mike            08-03-2003, 2:22 PM Reply   
yea i agree with thane,
when you get to be that big in your sport you need to have principles and if you dont and do anything for money then they lose the respect. I just really hope wakeboarding and wakeskating stay underground more or less and dont become the new trendy sport.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-03-2003, 3:09 PM Reply   
yes i think it is great. how is making a commercial selling out? is it bad when a basketball player pushes pop or ceral or something unrelated to basketball? did you get your panties in a bunch when audi made that wakeboarding commercial? so what if nautica is trying to expand their market. that is simply normal business tactics. nothing to do with being a poser. the poser is the one that doesn't understand what they are doing.

I really don't think you have to worry about wakeboarding becoming any more trendy than it is, as it basically is a trendy sport that takes a lot of money to be serious about. you don't think this is true? look at all the 'pros' most are rich kids that wear trucker hats and saggy pants. Then look around at the wakeboarders on your lake. Many, many of them try to emulate the 'look' and what not. I personally don't have a problem with the fact that it is trendy because I am not really concerned with image, as I know it is fun, and a good way to hang out with friends.

you might think you are 'core' but you are really not.
Old    upupnaway            08-03-2003, 3:39 PM Reply   
Does Lance Armstrong deliver mail, or Install cable?
Do you think Emmit Smith, Terry Bradshaw and Doug flutie really dial 10-10-220?
Shaq at Radio shack?
Is Martha Stewarts house furnished with the crap she peddles?
Have you ever seen Joe Montana eat at steak and shake?
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-03-2003, 4:42 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding is not basketball. When wakeboarders start getting several million-dollar per year contracts that's when we can say wakeboarding has sold out. I can't believe that you can even compare wakeboarding to a professional team sport. Wakeboarding is a soul sport that's all about style and thinking of it as an art form. It's about doing what feels good and what looks good, not what team can score more points in a given time period, so the people in that certain geographic region can claim some kind of pride. Wakeboarding is becoming more and more trendy every day and that's what is gonna make it lose it's genuine feel. Am I the only one that finds it a little strange that all of a sudden Nautica is trying to get into the wakeboarding market? I wasn't defending anyone on my previous post except for Grubb because I know that, reluctantly, I would do the same thing he did. I'm upset that a company, who appears to know nothing about the sport I love, is trying to capitalize on it. I can just sit back and timidly ask; what's next?

I am worried about my image for one reason: I don't want to be taken for something I'm not.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-03-2003, 4:54 PM Reply   
thane, that explains it more clearly, and i respect you for your views. I have no style, I just go out and have fun, so I am not one to really care what people think about me. that explains the difference in viewpoint.

I have a feeling that they are going after more of an 'extreme sports' market (a LOT wider than just wakeboarding) which everyone and their mamma has been exploiting, and I am fairly confident that they wouldn't spend the $$ making commercials and airing them without a significant amount of market research.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-03-2003, 5:29 PM Reply   
I will respect anyone for doing something just to have fun whether it's wakeboarding, bull riding, racing shopping carts, playing jenga, as long as they're passionate about it, they have my full respect. I'm glad that we can agree to disagree.

I'm sure they researched the market but I still don't want them in "OUR" sport. When I think Nautica I think of dillards, not Motocross.
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-03-2003, 5:51 PM Reply   
i think its cool. nautica makes bathing suits too ya know.
Old     (wakebo2169)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-03-2003, 7:21 PM Reply   
right, nautica does make bathing suits....but i doubt you'll see grubby in one considering billabong makes baggies too and he rides for them.
Old    renegade            08-03-2003, 8:37 PM Reply   
You guys get wakeboarding commercials?? gotta move or get better cable
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-04-2003, 6:55 AM Reply   
If wakeskating defines you as a person then I could see the comercial posing on your image, otherwise its just a commercial.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-04-2003, 8:07 AM Reply   
The fact that a huge spotlight has been put on the tiny sport of wakeskating through a national ad campaign is great! It is good for Grubb, good for the sport, and hopefully its ends up good for Nautica too.

That ad will probably encourage some people to try wakeboarding/skating. It will also help to legitimize the sport on a national level. What if some tv exec sees that ad and decides to give the Wakeboard Pro Tour a little extra coverage because his kids thought it was cool? It will probably bring more sponsors into our sport which will support ($$$) the riders and the industry, resulting in better products and events.

I don't care if Grubb was riding for Victoria's Secret (bad image...okay so that's a bit much, but you know what I mean ) as long as it brings relatively good publicity to our sport. I don't think Grubb's selling out. I think he's leading the charge.
Old    awlang            08-04-2003, 8:46 AM Reply   
When was the last time that Fox Racing made a wakeboard? No one has ever made a comment about Shaun and Fox Racing. I think it is great that wakeboarding is getting noticed. It's not like he is doing a commercial for toilet paper or something! I would ride a wakeskate any day with jeans on if I was being paid!
Old    andystrawn            08-04-2003, 9:05 AM Reply   
Fox Racing is stupid too
Old     (mattbob)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-04-2003, 9:08 AM Reply   
I just got some sweet new Nautica board shorts. They look like jean shorts but they are board shorts.
I got the stone-washed version because I hear it's coming back in style.
They were only $143.

P.S. Get the optional belt ($39) or they will sag off your ass.
Old     (tense)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-04-2003, 9:13 AM Reply   
Let Grubb make some bank. He does not have to make a political statement with everything he does or every commercial he makes.
When he does a commercial, he is now a wakeboarder and an actor. He doesn't have to use the product.
But, if you think that he should be more honest, then the question should be: Is this a product that he would use or does use? If he would wear the pants, that he is not selling out by endorsing them.
Lastly, he is not endorsing a product that is anti-boarding or an environmental disaster, I don't have a problem with it.
If he was endorsing accessories for tubers or jet skis, that would be bad.
Old     (onealrep)      Join Date: May 2002       08-04-2003, 9:30 AM Reply   
I haven't seen the commercial, but it sounds like he really isn't endorsing the product at all. Does it state that anywhere? Or is Grubb just the "actor/stunt man" in the commercial. There's a big difference. If he's not directly endorsing the product, then he's just an athlete making some good money using his skills. There's nothing wrong with that at all.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-04-2003, 10:25 AM Reply   
Click here to see the commercial...

Old    mike_mike            08-04-2003, 12:07 PM Reply   
that is exactly what wouldnt be good. What Matt is talking about is exactly what happened to skateboarding.

Look at the X-games, worst competition ever, all for the ratings money and promotiong. They could care less about the sports. What do they show most, skateboarding, motocross and sometimes biking. That is it they just want ratings they dont care about the sport. On the new x games commercials they got the most trendiest thing every, they got Snoop Dogg to say It is off the Hizzle for Shizzle Dizzle. You gotta be kidding me that is so sad, if i was a athlete i wouldnt compete in the x games at all worst trendiest thing ever. Now every kid see tony hawk heres the gay announcers talking about the 900 and kids are like cool sweet i wanna go be a skateboarder.

i dont care anymore
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2003, 12:13 PM Reply   
I would make a Tampex commerical if you paid me.

barry@femininehygiene.aol.com

B-

(Message edited by Barry on August 04, 2003)

(Message edited by Barry on August 04, 2003)
Old    awlang            08-04-2003, 2:03 PM Reply   
The X-Games and other shows and commercials like this one show a positive side to their sport. There is no reason a kid should not look up to most of these guys and think to themselves that they want to be like them. Also, these guys don't care about how the X-Games is presented. They are there to put on a show, and have a good time.
Old    warlock00            08-04-2003, 2:20 PM Reply   
and to take home the biggest check of the year I would bet.
Old    tattoobling            08-04-2003, 2:46 PM Reply   
Wow, "did you see Grubb's commercial" evolved into this spirited discussion and I can't help myself but to join in, if nothing more than to dispell some of the negative vibe about wakeboarding's emerging popularity. Heck, IT'S ABOUT TIME! You can dis Nautica, Grubb, Hyperlite, Castaic Lake, and the guy who towed the boat to the commercial. But do this too: Pull the peircings out of your head and let a little reality sink in: Exposure of this sport will make it only more accessible and less expensive for anyone to participate in it, it's call in economics the economies of scale. Make more boards, make more boats, make more "Wakeskate Jeans" = they all get cheaper per unit.
To say Nautica "doesn't support the sport" is BS. THEY JUST DID! They showed it to millions of people. That is precisely the definition of "Support". OH, and yeah I don't want wakeboarding to get "Trendy" or be more popular or anything. 'Cause I remember trying to go snowboarding in the late 80s and early 90s. I LOVED IT WHEN NO SKI AREAS would let us "gays on trays" in to ride. I that it was awesome I had nowhere to buy equipment and I had to wait 3 weeks to get it out of a catalog 3000 miles away. Oh, but the best thing was that because no one knew what the sport was, I had to beg someone to go riding with me. Boy am pissed at the X-Games and the mainstream media for bringing snowboarding to forefront. It just sucks that I can go riding at ANY ski area I want, I can get the latest board at a good price when at a shop in a BEACH TOWN in Florida. And God forbid that if my kid wants to, he just might be able to make a GREAT living at that sport if he's lucky. You can say that about MAYBE 5 guys in wakeboading. You can stick to your isolationist theory on the "core" (whatever) of wakeboarding and get no respect from those unfamiliar with your passion. But at least do it with some sense of logic.
Old    tattoobling            08-04-2003, 2:55 PM Reply   
Sorry about yet another long winded post, but one MORE thing. To say the X-Games "doesn't care" about the sports? NOTHING, I MEAN NOTHING could be further from the truth. The X-Games puts on a HUGE production, shows it on network TV for FREE, allows live spectators in to watch for FREE, has a huge kids area for FREE, and allows the spectators to interact with the Athletes (to some, Heroes) and get autographs for FREEEEEEEEE! But Hey, they only do that for ratings which I guess they probably need. Since nobody's has paid them yet I suppose they might actually need a market to sell some commercials, thereby engaging in that capitalist evil despicable activity called EARNING A LIVING!!

IT IS PRECISELY BECAUSE OF THE X-GAMES THAT, UNLIKE 10 YEARS AGO, THERE IS SOMETHING ON TV TO WATCH OTHER THAN BASEBALL.
Old    mike_mike            08-04-2003, 3:07 PM Reply   
your an idiot
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-04-2003, 3:12 PM Reply   
No offense but if you're going to call someone an "idiot" at least use correct grammar.
Old    mike_mike            08-04-2003, 4:02 PM Reply   
i dont really care about correct grammar on the internet

if you know what im saying thats fine
dont care about impressing you
Old    awlang            08-04-2003, 4:05 PM Reply   
You the man Kaiser!! I couldn't have said it better myself!!
Old    upupnaway            08-04-2003, 5:13 PM Reply   
This argument against Grubb doing the commercial reminds me of all of the high schoolers back in the day complaining about how nirvana sold out because they went "mainstream". The main point that the anti commercial people put out in rants like these is always the same. "I was cool enough to be into this band/sport/clothing way before anyone else, so everyone is just trying to be like me".
The x-games and main stream media can bring in butt-loads of cash to this sport, but forget about that. They are not hard core.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-04-2003, 5:22 PM Reply   
You guys are so jaded. This is ridiculous. The more our sport is exposed like it's being represented in a commercial like that, the more people are gonna say, "that 'looks' cool! I want to be cool, I'm gonna do that." It's the people that have that mindset that will pay any amount of money to be cool. That's why boat companies can charge $60,000 for a wakeboarding boat. News flash, the prices of wakeboarding necessities aren't going down as our sport gets more exposure.

rootc - you're right on.

andy - fox racing at least has a foot hold in the extreme sports industry. They're target market isn't the Nordstrom's shopper.

mattbob & barry -

Fern & chuck - if you're getting paid, that's an endorsement. If you wear the jeans or not doesn't matter.

Kaiser & Adam - you're both being naieve, but I do agree with you about the x-games. And I said I would wakeskate in jeans too if I was getting paid but I wouldn't be proud of it.

Mike - chill on the insults bro. Can't we have a civilized, I'll admit heated, but still civilized discussion?
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-04-2003, 6:25 PM Reply   
barry - are you "just one more liar" now? ;)

kaiser - well logic can just as easily be used to argue against further building the popularity of the wakeboarding, or snowboarding for that matter.

i too snowboarded years ago when there were mountains that didn't allow it. i had no problem finding a place to rent a board and boots. sure, it wasn't anywhere near my house, but then again i wasn't fighting insane crowds on the slopes, getting run over by idiots that were once/twice a year boarders, and watching the prices of lift-tickets go through the roof as resorts scrambled to cash in on the popularity of the sport by cutting down more trees and expanding their development.

more than one person can tell you about how crowds have ruined their favorite riding area - or how folks with no respect for or knowledge of the sport have ruined a day out. and of course, one can have a great deal of fun behind a loaded 2001 natique (the model, not the year), apparently contrary to the boat manufacturer's idea that each new boat must cost more than the last.

have you seen the price of the new hyperlite wakeskates? wtf?? if the economies of scale are really in operation (and not the economies of name brands or signature models), then wakeskates should be the cheapest water accessory you could buy.
Old    mike_mike            08-04-2003, 6:47 PM Reply   
you know how to connect a digital camcorder to a tv so i can record a scene off a dvd?
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2003, 7:20 PM Reply   
Mr. Stack:
I would make a Tampex commercial if you paid me.
I am not lying!

B-
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-04-2003, 7:39 PM Reply   
ah, but you'd be joining the lie. and become just another one of the liars - because we all know you don't USE tampex.

just another note - i think it's funny when folks say things like

quote:

Lets face there aint much money in wakeboarding and your carrer isnt always gonna be that long so you need to get all the cash you can get your hands on.

and...

quote:

He needs to make a living

sorry, but regardless of which way you look at this (and im not sure myself what i think of celebrity endorsement as a moral position - it certainly doesn't affect my choice of purchases), but to say it's viable because he needs the money?? please. im not saying the boy is rich, but don't try to tell the majority of people in this world that work hard everyday just making minimum-wage or slightly better that brian grubb should make a commercial because he needs the money.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-04-2003, 8:10 PM Reply   
Most of the posts appear to be leaning in the direction of support for Grubb's decision, and I agree. Of the pros I have known over the years, the vast majority either get permanently injured or simply get surpassed by the younger kids before they ever have a chance to put any money in the bank. After years of "soulfulness," hard work, and body-sacrifice on behalf of progressing the sport, the majority wind up with nothing in terms of financial security and ultimately are forgotten. Those of you who are dissing on Grubb could just as easily be saying that you don't think he deserves to own his own house or to have have any money saved for retirement, because that's what this is about. People said the same crap when Dean Lavelle had a good season in 97 and got the Mountain Dew endorsement, which I believe was the first big-time deal with an "outside" or mainstream company that finally decided to pay attention to wakeboarding. Deals like that are what now sustain our sport.
How can you possibly criticize Brian for making a prudent financial decision?
I do feel for some of the concerns expressed here, like how growing popularity of the sport makes for more crowded waterways and also seems to play a factor in the increasing prices of boats, but then again, the boats are worlds better. You can't blame the growing popularity of a sport on the athletes who are trying to make a living at it.

What I want to see is Thomas Horrell and Eric Schmaltz replacing Method Man and Redman in the deodorant commercials - THAT'S when we need to start getting nervous!!
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2003, 8:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
ah, but you'd be joining the lie. and become just another one of the liars - because we all know you don't USE tampex.
You're right.. I switched to Stay-Free a few months back.. still, I have used Tampex in the past.. so, technically,I wouldn't be a liar!

B-
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-04-2003, 8:32 PM Reply   

quote:

Those of you who are dissing on Grubb could just as easily be saying that you don't think he deserves to own his own house or to have have any money saved for retirement, because that's what this is about.

wow. i really don't agree.

1st, no one "deserves" a house or to have money saved for retirement. those things aren't rights, they're priviledges and i certainly wouldn't want to be put in the position of having to decide who does or doesn't deserve them - by most accounts they're either earned or lucked into.

2nd, again the means doesn't justify the ends. IF it's morally or ethically wrong to "sell out," then you can't justify it because you want a house. and if it's not, then the point is moot, and he's just another capitalist making some money off an opportunity.

either way, justification doesn't work because it's either not necessary or completely objectionable.

im 35. i have a pretty good job and a college degree. i worked 30hrs/week to pay my way thru it. but i don't have a house, and i have no money saved for retirement. im probably at least 10 years older than grubb and arguably older than most wakeboarders. i pay money for my equipment and for the gas i burn riding behind other people's boats that i can't afford. where's my right to my house and retirement? i may get both, but not because i "deserve" to make a commercial that will help me obtain them.

there are plenty of amateur athletes that work just as hard at their sport, and spend more money on it, then many professional athletes. aren't they just as deserving?

im not knocking grubb for getting some money - but i think it's ridiculous to try and justify it because he either deserves it for his sacrifices or because he doesn't make a good enough living.

Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-04-2003, 9:41 PM Reply   
Chris,
I appreciate your right to disagree. First, you should know that you and I are in remarkably similar situations in terms of how hard we have worked in life and what we have to show for it, so I understand the frustration. When I said "deserve" I absolutely did not mean in terms of being entitled to anything, all I meant was being compensated for his effort and skill (and risk) and making the most of it. Any day, even tomorrow, Brian could come down weird and break a leg, tear an achilles tendon, or even suffer a brain injury. Possibility, his career would be over, so then it would be back to the drawing board for him. How foolish would he have been for previously having passed up the opportunity to put a down payment on a home by letting some film guys shoot him riding around in some silly expensive jeans?
For the second point, I am well studied in principles of ethics and also intrigued by the sometimes more elusive issues of morality, and I can't see how agreeing to let some corporate-types shoot film of you while doing the thing that you would already be doing anyway has very much to do with either. Brian did not invent capitalism, rather, I imagine he simply is paying attention to how it works and playing his cards the best he can. You might be surprised, but most pro wakeboarders really don't make very much money unless they can skillfully dial in the endorsements, and that is what he is apparently trying to do. IMO, many of those atheletes you spoke of in other sports ARE just as deserving, but the opportunity has never been offered to them, and that is not Brian Grubb's fault or responsibility.
Respectfully,
DO
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-04-2003, 10:31 PM Reply   
Look what I started here..... He looks pretty happy here??
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-04-2003, 10:36 PM Reply   
Now that's Capitalism !
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2003, 11:03 PM Reply   
He's a hypocrite, those aren't Nautica jeans.

The reason he looks happy is because he's with those chicks.. the reason those chicks are with is because he's *not* wearing Nautica jeans.

If he were wearing Nautica jeans the pic would look like this:

g'day!
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-05-2003, 4:21 AM Reply   
Love the pic, Barry!
Old     (ahuser22)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-05-2003, 6:34 AM Reply   
Alright, I saw the commercial last night and it is lame, but I don't blame Grubb at all. We live in a society that values materials very much, besides look at how much cash it costs to participate in this sport. Unless you make your own boards and bindings out of raw materials, I think we all have sold out in someway or another
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-05-2003, 6:45 AM Reply   
Those pics are a crack up. I think in the first pic Grubb is so happy because they all went to the same salon together to get their haircut.
Old     (justinstephens)      Join Date: May 2003       08-05-2003, 9:07 AM Reply   
I think that beyond everything mentioned already we all just need to be stoked that a company this big would take the time to scout out the right talent for the job...Its not like grubb was out looking to do a commercial like this...they called him and he was into it...You also just have to assume that he knows what he is doing and communicated all of this with Billabong etc...

In a nut shell, Grubb knows what he is doing...

Justin
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-05-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
Dig my my mad paint skills!

B-
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-05-2003, 4:58 PM Reply   
Hey, wait, isn't that a Louis Vuitton board bag slung over his shoulder? THE PLOT THICKENS!!!!
B, can we get a close up on that?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-05-2003, 6:46 PM Reply   
Custom made bag no lining. Cool looking though.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-05-2003, 7:17 PM Reply   
It's a Nautica bag and it's actually over the gals shoulder.. here, let me show you.

Looks like he's earning his money for Nautica.

B-

Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-05-2003, 7:19 PM Reply   
Upon further examination, it appears you're correct.. he *is* carrying a Nautica bag. See? he's not a hypocrite!
Go Grubb!

B-
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-06-2003, 5:08 PM Reply   
He's getting paid and thats all that matterrs. Nautica is just trying to appeal to a fastly growing community of teens(consumers) that need jeans. So if it works for him and it works for nautica then get off his back. he's advertising jeans, billabong doesnt make jeans!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-06-2003, 5:22 PM Reply   
Jared, billabong does make jeans.
Old    upupnaway            08-06-2003, 8:04 PM Reply   
It is interesting that people get so worked up about this. What your wakeskate Idol does or does not do is not a reflection on you. do not take it personally. Say what you will, but if you idolize him enough to get heated over what you see as an immoral or unethical choice, picture this. The money he made to do this ad or series of ads may just be enough to give him one more season in the sport.
As far as the people go that want to keep this an underground sport, throw away your playstation 2's, 'cause they contribute to the mass exposure you so despise via wakeboarding unleashed. Throw out your copies of detention and higer education, it makes tricks easy to learn and makes people want to take part in this "cool" sport.

Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-07-2003, 11:14 AM Reply   
Man the haters on here are unreal!
Old    mike_mike            08-07-2003, 11:24 AM Reply   
I THINK WE SHOULD JUST GO PLAY KICKBALL!!!!!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-07-2003, 12:18 PM Reply   
well a national commercial for a sag actor, the buyout would be bigger than 10K that's for sure. but perhaps for a relatively unknown athlete that's not bad. i've had friends make more from commercials that their face is barely in - let alone starring them.
Old    mike_mike            08-07-2003, 12:25 PM Reply   
KICKBALL!!!!!!!!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-07-2003, 12:31 PM Reply   
You're just trying to exploit kickball for your own personal gain, you capitalist sellout!
Old    mike_mike            08-07-2003, 1:18 PM Reply   
good your real good
Old     (tiger20)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-07-2003, 2:06 PM Reply   
Endorsing products unrelated to my field of success? I would NEVER do that...

Sincerely,
Tony Hawk, Catherine Zeta Jones, Bob Dole, Carrot Top
Old    mike_mike            08-07-2003, 2:20 PM Reply   
hahahahaha
Old    wakeboard4568            08-07-2003, 2:26 PM Reply   
i saw it a lot! how exciting. it comes on a lot during the new tom green show.yup.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-07-2003, 8:41 PM Reply   
Maybe Tom's a wake skater???