Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (dlockett99)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-05-2003, 12:14 AM Reply   
What years put out good wakes for these boats. Looking at 1990-1995. I have heard the late 90's hull is the one they used for the first super airs, but how do the older ones compare say to a new SAN or X2? Got to get a good wake on a budget.
Old     (tiger20)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-05-2003, 9:01 AM Reply   
My friend has a 94 sport Nautique, 800+ hours and has put a bunch of weight on it and it runs like a dream. All he has had to replace is the battery because his stereo system sucks major power.

It's all about ballast with the older boats. You need 3 sacks two on each side of the boat and one up in the bow and you're golden. Throws a nice clean wake you can expect from a Nautique. He picked it up from Dallas TX for 17K with trailer and tower. Then overhauled it and it's worth around 24K if he sold it today. If I were to buy a boat older than 1995, it would be a 94 sport Nauty without a doubt.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-05-2003, 11:09 AM Reply   
1990-1992 Sports with the fixed swim platform throw a great wake with a fat sack on either side of the engine and a couple hundred lbs in the bow.
Old    natter            08-05-2003, 2:02 PM Reply   
i have 1990 sport nautique and i put two 600 pound fat sacs in the back and has a great wake
Old    husband's name Day            08-05-2003, 2:18 PM Reply   
i ride behind a '66 and it has a great wake without weight and an even better one when adding sand bags.... i think the nautique (correct craft) is a sweet ride ....even the ol '66
Old    tpalmeri            08-05-2003, 2:26 PM Reply   
To add to this, how about those early to mid 90 nauti's with a closed bow? what would be the best solution to balance the weight out. i have a friend in VA that is looking
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-05-2003, 2:48 PM Reply   
I run w/ 2 sacks on each side of the engine, about 500 lbs. each. It throws a nice clean wake at around 23 mph. I haven't had it for long so I can't tell you as much as others, but for the $$ it is hard to beat. The 90-92 w/ the built in platform have only one drawback..you have to make sure you turn out quick when you come off plane fast...as the water will run back up over the stern. No big deal..but you have to make sure you're aware.

As for a closed bow....Since I'm not running w/ any weight in the front (it rides very level) I'd see no probs w/ the closed bow. But I don't know why you couldn't throw a sac up there also.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-05-2003, 5:23 PM Reply   
My friend in AZ has a '94 sport. With three full sacks and about 5 people, the wake is sick. Comes close to the SANTE, but not quite there. It is good a compromise considering he picked it up in great condition for low 20's. One potential issue with his is that the dash and instrument pod eventually began to break all apart from hitting too many huge double-ups.
Old    aquajack            08-07-2003, 6:13 PM Reply   
The 21 foot sport nautique started in 1993 and used the same hull and strut angle until it changed in 1997. So, 1993-1996 will be the same wakes.
In 1997 the strut angle changed and the angle was lessoned by 2 degrees causing the boat to have a better wake, for skiers that is. In 1998 the trunk was added to the stern area and that is when (((I believe that's the year or it may have been 97))) the notched chine was added as well to make for better slow speed handeling. (and no I am not tallking about the Pro-Air with the stepped hull)
As a bonus the 1993 vintage of ALL Nautiques was the elimination of the Douglas Fir Stringers and the start of Composite stringers for All Nautiques.
The Sports prior to 1993 were shoter and narrower and were very "tender".
That is to say they are extremely weight sensitive "Side to Side" and a bit harder to manage the proper even non-washed-out ramps on both sides of the wake.
There is also very little storage in the 1992 and older Sports compared to the 1993 and newer ones.
JMHO
Old    indo            08-07-2003, 6:49 PM Reply   
Tony
I have a 1993 excel (v-drive) that i may be selling towards the end of the season in va email me if your friend is intrested warden@cablenet-va.com
Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       08-07-2003, 9:08 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info aquajack. I have heard people mention that the 95 supersport was better than the newer hulls. Your info sems to confirm.
Joe
Old     (dlockett99)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-07-2003, 10:56 PM Reply   
Thanks aquajack, that is exactly the info I was looking for. Do you know anything about MC 205 hulls?
Old     (nautiboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-09-2003, 5:36 PM Reply   
I had a 1989 ski nautique 2001, it throws one of the best wakes you'll find in any of the older boats.
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       08-10-2003, 10:07 AM Reply   
Quite happy with my 99 Sport. In 98 they switched to the TSC hull which was only recently changed to the TSC2 hull. Weighted properly it will throw an equal wake to a Super Air.