Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-11-2006, 6:52 PM Reply   
We spend a lot of time and gas turning around to pick up a fallen rider.

Would it be beneficial if you could simply stop the boat and the handle would swim back to the rider and the boat would recoil the rider back to the proper length?
Old    malibu73            09-11-2006, 7:01 PM Reply   
how would the handle swim?
Old    alanp            09-11-2006, 7:02 PM Reply   
it would, as soon as you figure out how to attach fins and gills to a handle
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-11-2006, 7:07 PM Reply   
I would think it would take the same amount of time to pick up the rider as it would for the rope to "swim" to the rider, and the amount of money you would spend to create a device like this would be more than the difference in cost of gas.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-11-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
A rope that gets caught in its own built in propeller.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       09-11-2006, 7:57 PM Reply   
have another drink.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-11-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
...and pass the pipe.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-11-2006, 8:56 PM Reply   
the only reason for using up a lot of gas when turning around to pick up a fallen rider is powerturning. if you don't powerturn and simply idle back to the rider, you won't use up much gas at all. now saving time, i got nuthin' for that.
Old    walt            09-11-2006, 8:56 PM Reply   
No more brownies for You Dane.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-11-2006, 10:23 PM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback! I think I will start drinking now!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-11-2006, 10:42 PM Reply   
Yah the gas comes from having to pull the rider back up.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-12-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
I was thinking maybe you could put a rope cannon on the back of the boat and fire the handle back at your ride. Maybe do one up with a scope and crosshairs. At least the people in the boat would be entertained shooting the handle back at the downed rider. LOL
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-12-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
OK, to add to the nutty idea, the rope could have a small hose in the middle and if you filled it with compressed air it would straighten and be a little stiff to maybe allow you to swing it around and float it to the rider. Ooops, I guess I already had a drink this mornin'!
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-12-2006, 10:16 AM Reply   
Hellooooo.... We all just need a "Y" button!
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-12-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
you guys are overthinking it. How about we just dont fall!
Old     (jbwaken)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-12-2006, 11:04 AM Reply   
I like Evans idea....a propelled rope launcher.....like a potato gun...lol..will have a prototype soon....
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-12-2006, 1:17 PM Reply   
You could have the handle go back to the rider, take a remote controlled boat motor and prop and connect it to the handle, encase (sp?) the motor and battery so it stays dry and have the controller in the boat and the spotter drives the handle back to the rider.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-12-2006, 2:42 PM Reply   
Renee! I wonder how many people get that?
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-12-2006, 3:06 PM Reply   
I was wondering the same thing . But doesn't everyone play wakeboarding games on Xbox when not on the water?
Old     (tantrum916)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-12-2006, 4:00 PM Reply   
Hey I got it good X box reference Renee, LOL
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-12-2006, 4:07 PM Reply   
ill take two of what you are on please... hahaha

just kidding man.. would be a cool idea but not until "star trek" comes to life and we have a tractor beam
Old     (calcio)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-12-2006, 4:09 PM Reply   
I'm thinking it would just be easier to tie the rope around the rider. You will never have to turn around for him...
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-12-2006, 4:12 PM Reply   
How about a homing trout that you carry in a holster. When you crash and burn the trout gets the handle and swims it back to you.

You then say "good trout", pat it on the head and put it back in your homing trout holster attached to your homing trout holster belt.

There may be some other homing type fish that would also be suitable, like a bass, a crappie, a mudskipper, or even a muskellunge.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-12-2006, 5:07 PM Reply   
Flux, that ish is hilarious! POST OF THE YEAR!!!
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-12-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
haha, i say thread of the year, just cause its such a ridiculous thought.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-13-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
I'm thinking there is no incentive to stay up if the rope comes back so painlessly.

So what do we have:
1. Swimming handle
2. Rope cannon
3. 'Y' Button
4. Potatoe gun launcher
5. Homing trout
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-13-2006, 12:09 PM Reply   
This is the most ridiculous thread ever, but my idea is now second best compared to the homing trout.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-13-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
For those not enthused about the idea of carrying a trout around in a belt holster, I am working on another idea. I call it the HRR, or Handle Retreiving Raptor.

Basically it's a big ass Hawk, Osprey, or even an Eagle, that hangs out on the tower. When you crash, it take off, grabs the handle and drops it down on you and returns to the tower. I am not really sure about this idea though because I am concerned about it crapping all over the boat and attacking children or small animals. It also might get confused on crowded waterways and land on someone elses boat and cause a real problem.But you could paint the bird orange and it would serve as a rider down signal.

I already found a company that can make trout shaped buckets that are comfortable for the trout, low profile, and very stylish. They can make a carbon fiber finish as well. This could even take over the purse dog craze. The bucket trout.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-13-2006, 12:31 PM Reply   
PS-> I already applied for a belt mounted trout holster bucket patent, so any of you idea thieves are too late.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-13-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
Flux, when are you coming to Naci next? You are killing me here. The trout would have to be careful as the lake has a ton more eagles than in years past.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-13-2006, 12:34 PM Reply   
Hey, can we get Grant to installs some LED's on the trout holster bucket? It doesn't have real functionality, but it sure would look cool.

With regard to the big ass Hawk, Osprey, Eagle idea... what if we got homing pigeons? Those always come back to it's "home"
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-13-2006, 12:47 PM Reply   
You guys are getting way too technical with this....it's simple really. Anyone remember the toy Police helicopters with the hooks that flew around in a circle and picked up the bank robbers car?? Similar to that setup, only with a larger, gas powered remote control unit. Rider falls...boat stops. Rope crewman launches the helicopter, and locates the handle, which has a spring-loaded orange flag that pop out of the side facing the sky to help locate it via remote control...garage door opener style....hooks the handle, flies it back to the downed rider, while the driver creeps back in reverse and drops it, and the rider re-sets the flag, helicopter returns to boat and is docked on the tower mounted heli-pad. Away you go!

And people think guys from the South are stupid!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-13-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
My vote is for the homing trout. But can we paint it orange with WW on it's side so it matches the flags? Or maybe draw a pirate bikini on it? (I assume it's a female trout, cuz a male trout would probably get lost but not admit it and not stop to ask directions, and end up on someone else's boat!)
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-13-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
C'mon Kylie.

Be the trout!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-13-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
um ... you want me to dress up as a fish and fetch for you? that's kinky, no?
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-13-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
Kylie- male trout...Bahahahahhaha
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-13-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
YIKES!!!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-13-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
I only know of one wakeboarding trout, he is of the brown variety and frequently rides the Canyon Lake Backwater. Flux, be sure you sponsor Eddie Valdez when you have the trout all trained and ready.

Do you think we can get the skiing sqirrel in Anchorman to help out? That little bastard could make a wonderful career out of skiing and retrieving handles for downed riders. As long as Mrs. Squirrel isn't driving the boat mind you, gotta keep a straight line... Two can play that game Kylie