Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old     (svguy)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-23-2004, 12:50 PM Reply   
I'm looking to buy a boat within the next year that must be a good all around family boat as well as wakeboard boat. Our lake is pretty big and can get pretty rough on windy days which is why I am looking at some v-bottom boats (Crownline, Monterey, etc.) Are these any good for wakeboarding? Are there any good wakeboard boats (not overly expensive) than can handle realy rough water if a storm kicks up? Thanks.
Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-23-2004, 12:56 PM Reply   
Sanger V210 or V230..lots of deadrise in the back...can handle the biggest chop. www.sangerboats.com
Old    tigejohn21i            01-23-2004, 1:05 PM Reply   
FWIW, I tried to drive while some friends of mine were wakeboarding behind a Four Winns. It's hard to maintain speed at 20-22, the boat keeps wanting to get up on plane. I had to really work the throttle to maintain speed. This caused an inconsistent wake -- it would narrow and expand etc.. Maybe Perfect Pass could help, I'm not sure.
Old    chris_newrider            01-23-2004, 1:27 PM Reply   
Look at the Glastron GX series. The hull has a unique shape that helps it put out a nice wake. Properly weighted and trimmed, you can easliy maintain 20 mph. The 4.3 has plenty of pulling power so the V8 option will only increase the output. The SX series is less costly, but the GX looks more expensive.

Chris
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-23-2004, 1:45 PM Reply   
21'+ Malibus are decent in rough-ish water due to higher freeboard & a little deeper V, but still not nearly as good as a 23'+ I/O.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-23-2004, 1:47 PM Reply   
the new Tigé hulls also handle big chop well.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-23-2004, 1:50 PM Reply   
AH! and i see you're in Austin, must be Lk Travis. i've had my VLX out there in the middle many times w/ no probs with ~12 ppl on board.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-23-2004, 1:52 PM Reply   
the ski supreme v208 and v230 are very deep and both true vee-bottom boats. take on rough water well. carve through the chop. solid build. no rattles.
Old     (svguy)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-23-2004, 2:36 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm actually up on Lake Buchanan which seems to be worse than Travis at times. Lot less traffic however.
Old    bross            01-23-2004, 3:35 PM Reply   
Regal makes a great boat that I wakeboard behind all the time. Their 24' or 22' model comes with factory installed tower and perfect pass wakeboard pro. By adjusting the trim you can get the white wash off and the wake is then very big and very clean for wakeboarding. If you add some weight to the front you can make the wake ramp off a little bit more and you will have a great time. If you need help finding a Regal dealer email me back. The website is www.regalboats.com. Good Luck!
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-05-2004, 8:17 PM Reply   
Edward i have a 20' Monterey with PP and a high five prop (no speed problems here) also have tower, sacs stereo etc. It handles the rough water way better then either of the two wakeboard boats ive been in including the launch ssv and the old X-star (same hull as the new X-2 i think). With the sacs filled the wake is awesome. One of the drawbacks if you would count it as one is when running a longer rope you need to charge the wake to clear it, dont know if it would even be possible at ropes in the 75-80' range.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-09-2004, 10:02 AM Reply   
I am also on big water. My Gekko will run 40 in 3' chop without slamming or shaking. Deep forward keel disperses the pounding out rather than up. It is worth a look.

rider@boarditup.com