Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-11-2003, 3:02 PM Reply   
Where are you gonna mount the kitchen sink? lol

Looks awesome as usual Grant.
Old    whitechocolate            12-11-2003, 3:03 PM Reply   
Swass: Are you Hott?, Post a photo of yourself in a Bikini, we will see. Do they have domestic partners law where you live!
Old    swass            12-11-2003, 4:31 PM Reply   
Too late! I'm a woman scorned. You'll find your crap on the lawn when you get home. Don't bother coming in.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-11-2003, 5:12 PM Reply   
grant, you were able to get a good finish on the fiber without making a mold?
Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       12-11-2003, 10:47 PM Reply   
Grant: The stereo shop mentioned when they have to run a monitor in a hard to reach area> they many times use 4 wire telephone line to carry the signal and power> kinda like a remote gain control knob.

Old    whitechocolate            12-12-2003, 9:51 AM Reply   
Tim Yes the finish is good. When they are all Carbon fiberd up I will do a finish coat of Resin and sand and polish the whole peice. Im starting on the back sides today
Old    whitechocolate            12-12-2003, 9:53 AM Reply   
Harrold I ll check that out
Old    whitechocolate            12-12-2003, 9:55 AM Reply   

Old    whitechocolate            12-12-2003, 10:49 AM Reply   

Old    whitechocolate            12-12-2003, 10:49 AM Reply   

Old    swass            12-12-2003, 11:05 AM Reply   
Pimp daddy.
Old    hyperryd            12-12-2003, 11:54 AM Reply   
Grant: No one has ever accused you of doing things half a$$ed. Looks sweet. Can't wait to see them installed.
Old     (switch)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-12-2003, 12:34 PM Reply   
Grant, how much would you sell your boat for. I someone buys it hell, they would not have to do anything for at least 20 years untill everyone else comes up to your level. looks bad asss can't wait to see the finished product.
Old    whitechocolate            12-20-2003, 1:59 PM Reply   
Ok here is the Latest, I know It looks like the same photos as last time but, I have had to re do the Mirror's and Im just finishing them now. The problem was the seem's where the carbon met each other The pattern was un-even and you could see the seem, and it looked like hell IMO So I re-did the mirrors. This is a learning curve, for me I have never worked with the Carbon Fiber before, So I guess next round sould be easyer??? Ill Resin the faces tomarow, and then polish them. Then I shoud be done?

Old    whitechocolate            12-20-2003, 2:02 PM Reply   
The picture above is where the 2 peices met each other. If you look closely you can see the seem but, It looks good for me so Im going with it.
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-22-2003, 10:14 AM Reply   
Grant,
Looks fantastic.
I don't know about for this type of application, but when we use epoxy for building kayak parts (carbon fiber combings and stuff), we make sure we finish them with a coat of varnish. I don't think epoxy has any UV protection, and will yellow after while if left in the sunlight.
Just a suggestion
Old    whitechocolate            12-22-2003, 12:50 PM Reply   
Brad: Thanks for your advice. What type of varnish should I use and what does the Varnish do to stop the Yellow effect your talking about, Or can I use a automotive type of clear coat.
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-22-2003, 3:23 PM Reply   
Grant,
As far as I understand, (though I'm certainly not the most knowledgeable guy on the subject) all epoxies lack ultra violet protection, and will break down in sunlight (and hopefully you will be seeing a lot of that in your boat!). They turn yellow and brittle in time.
I don't think that polyester resin has the same problems, so depending on what you used for this project this might not be an issue for you at all...
I don't know much about varnishes or clear coats, but a boat building book I own mentions:
"You should stick with a marine polyurethane varnish; ‘spar varnishes’ sold in hardware stores aren’t likely to have much durability or UV protection. "

Thats about all that I know! I'm sure you could find out some info on the web or from your epoxy manufacturer. From what I've heard, I don't know if all varnishes are compatable with all epoxies either... Might be worth doing a test piece first.
B
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-23-2003, 6:36 AM Reply   
I personally get out on the boat to keep myself and my family *away* from TV/Video Games but when I saw this: http://www.masterspas.com/FST.asp
I did think about how cool it would be to have this rise out of the dash of my favorite WB boat.
Screen
Old    whitechocolate            12-23-2003, 10:15 AM Reply   
Grant thats cool, Thanks!

Hey Brad, This is what Im using,(Marine Grade Epoxy) I went with the Epoxy over the Polyester stuff because the people at Tap Plastics said it works better for our doors use, I didn't ask about the yellowing ect but they aslo said the Epoxy drys clear where as the polyester drys some what pink, The people at Tap will tell you what to use but They have little experiance with actually doing it.

I would like to try some other Resin's This Marine Grade Epoxy from Tap has been IMO not the greatest. This last step covering it with the Epoxy has been the worst, It should be they easyest step but it has been the hardest. Yesterday I had to strip the Mirrors completley The resin started to develope specks in the finish, "Very Frustrating" I re- resind the mirrors last night they good for now,(photo below) Ill keep my fingers crossed.

Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-23-2003, 5:03 PM Reply   
Grant,
The folks over at the guillemot kayak building board -
Either
http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/ or
http://www.kayakforum.com/KayakBuilding/index.shtml
would be the guys that I would ask about epoxies. They have tonnes of experience working with fibre glass/carbon/kevlar, etc for building anything and everything. They are more than happy to answer any questions I have had in the past. Certain types of specs in the finish can be caused by impurities (oils from skin, etc) underneath. Most epoxies (even the non-blushing types) will tend to produce an amine blush as they cure. It's a wax like substance that can be cleaned off with warm water, but needs to be removed before re-coating with another coat of epoxy. Tell them what you are doing, and I'm sure a bunch of them will be more than happy to help you out and walk you through it.
B
Old    whitechocolate            12-28-2003, 2:31 PM Reply   
Brad; Hey I have been posting on the Kayak building board - Thoes guys are super friendly and have given me lots of good tip's, I have learned way more about diffrent types of resins and waht works best. Also ways to keep my surfaces clean and oil free, that will keep fish eyes from returnning. The Carbon Fiber is very sencitieve, This is the 3rd time I have to completley re-lay the carbon, Im getting real good It sounds like from the Kayak building board Im not the first to have these type's of problems and frustration's I even had people E-mail word's of encouragment and finished photos of there projects, So "Update"
There wrapped again and ready to be sanded and then sprayed with the fishish coat of polyurathane clear, Im keeping my fingers crossed.

The other 2 flat peices in the photo are the back side's of sun visors, there done and came out great woo hoo!
Old    tabiggs            12-28-2003, 3:23 PM Reply   
Grant -
Looking sweet - I can see touch screens and a hard drive for Mp3's in the near future...
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-30-2003, 12:32 AM Reply   
Grant,
The guys at the kayak board are quality guys. Some AMAZING do-it-yourself craftsmen too... I don't frequent the board anymore, but still swing by to check out the pictures every once in a while! Plus, like I said before, the all have lots of glassing experience. When you spend 150+ hours building a cedar boat, the last thing you want to do is mess up the glassing!
Good luck with the rest of your project and keep us up to date!
B
Old    whitechocolate            01-24-2004, 12:42 PM Reply   
I should be done this week
Old    whitechocolate            01-26-2004, 9:48 PM Reply   
Ok There DONE!

Old    hyperryd            01-26-2004, 10:04 PM Reply   
Sweet!!!!!!!!! Grant, I have to say you have a lot of patience and it definitely paid off. Nice job. What are you going to use for a source? Where are you going to put it? How is the tower box going? You need a longer off season just to get your monster projects finished. Once again very nice.
Old    whitechocolate            01-26-2004, 10:08 PM Reply   
I should Have the Tower Box Up and running with in the one month from now. That's when Ill mout the Mirrors, The source, I have a small DVD player That Ill mount somewhere out of the way, Its nothin fancy just a simple player. The carbon looks funky in the photos but it came out very sweet, Thank's
John When is your new box going to start to take shape?
Old    hyperryd            01-26-2004, 10:55 PM Reply   
Well we just had a new addition to the family on January 12th. Her name is Hannah and she is going to take up quite a bit of my time and play money, so I don't know when I will get to my new tower box moving foreward. Besides, MB and Skylon are replacing the tower on my boat and I want to make sure none of the measurements change before I start glassing. So for now we will just have wait and see.
Old    whitechocolate            02-05-2004, 9:53 AM Reply   

Old     (d_o_double_g)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-05-2004, 10:27 AM Reply   
If that's not BLING, I don't know what is.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-05-2004, 10:36 AM Reply   
NICE! That looks really sweet! I love that Carbon Fiber look.
Old    aka Brad Beach            02-05-2004, 12:16 PM Reply   
All I can say is WOW! That's PIMP Grant!
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-05-2004, 12:45 PM Reply   
grant-

where'd you get the mirror arms from?

thx
Old    whitechocolate            02-05-2004, 2:07 PM Reply   
Salty: the arms are Boss, They have been anodized black