Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       02-13-2006, 5:50 PM Reply   
Anyone have any recommendations and/or pictures on where to install a thru-hull scoop on my 98' VLX with Perfect Pass?

I am using a 1.25" scoop, to a 90 degree fitting, to a brass ball valve so I need quite a bit of room, not only to thread on the ball valve, but to open and close the valve. I could also get rid of the 90 degree fitting and just go straight up if I had the room.

-gvb
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-14-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
Make sure it isn't in front of the perfect pass paddle wheel. The scoop will create turbulence and mess up the PP in speed mode.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-14-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
Well I was a little pressed for space installing my ball valve as well. Just take off the handle while you install it and then reinstall it in a verticlly closed orientation. meaning when the valve is closed the handle will be pointing up.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-14-2006, 11:07 AM Reply   
I put mine right in front of the engine, to the side of the plug. I went from the thru-hull to a threaded vs. slip adapter, to the T, and then to my ball valves. The trick (IMO) on getting all this assembled is to use slip pvc fittings. Where you use solvent and epoxy, not threaded w/plumbing tape. I ended up putting mine together in three parts. front, rear, and thru-hull. This way I assembled the ball valves, pumps, hoses, wires, etc. then just fit the whole thing to the T w/ a slip fitting. you may need a few more fittings than you planned on, but its worth it. just make sure you "dummy" assemble it (no epoxy, loosely threaded) to make sure it all fits where you want it.
Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       02-14-2006, 7:21 PM Reply   
cpd, i hear ya. the best possible location is right in front of the paddle wheel, which is why I'm asking for other locations :-)

(Message edited by gvb on February 14, 2006)
Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       02-14-2006, 7:46 PM Reply   
cory, good idea on the handle... i thought about it but never looked at how it's attached.

nacho, what does in front of the engine to the side of the plug mean? It's good practice to use a seacock/non-plastic ball valve immediately after the thru hull for emergencies. I've also heard mention of USCG regulations, and possible insurance issues if your boat should sink.

(Message edited by gvb on February 14, 2006)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-15-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
drain plug - should be a threaded hole in the bottom of your boat. you should always put the "plug" into the threaded hole before you launch your boat.

My thru-hull is located close to this drain plug. use whatever you've "heard" works. My system works beautifully. have fun getting your threads tight

(Message edited by denverd1 on February 15, 2006)

(Message edited by denverd1 on February 15, 2006)
Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       02-15-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
I know what a drain plug is, I was just asking for more details. In front would mean towards the front of the boat? If so, I have my perfect pass paddle wheel on one side and my engine scoop on the other.