Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-06-2006, 11:23 PM Reply   
Im going to make my own extended swim platform and was wondering what the best wood to use is for this? I plan on shooting it with bedliner material, but I would like it to be solid

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-07-2006, 6:28 AM Reply   
Teak, it's what every other platform I ever seen has been made of. IF your going to spary if with bedliner, you could probably use something else besides wood.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-07-2006, 7:13 AM Reply   
Even if you're going to spray it with bedliner, I'd use at least pressure treated lumber. Marine grade wood would be the best way to go but it costs a lot more last time I checked. Also remember bedliner is meant to be sprayed on metal. You might want to make sure the material will bond properly with wood before you start your project.

Have you considered glassing instead of using bedliner? Laying fiberglass is messy and somewhat annoying but not particularly hard given a wooden frame to work with. You might want to keep it in the back of your mind as a backup plan if the liner doesn't stick right.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-07-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
I saw some synthetic teak at the boat show or you could also use HDPE (high density polyethylene).
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-07-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
ya, I thought about glassing it and using a wood middle. I just hate sanding fiberglass, its messy and a time consuming to sand. So I figured id stick to just wood. Where can you buy marine grade wood?
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-07-2006, 11:11 AM Reply   
I have an extra teak swim platform in my shop. It's my father-in laws, I can find out how much he wants for it if you're interested. You would just need to hinge the center if it's going on an I/O. I had one on my Reinell years ago, it worked sweet. Much better than the side step..............
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       02-07-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
I tried a "bed liner" type material on some pressure treated wood steps on my deck, it lasted about 2 months. I don't think the CuSO4 in the wood allows too much to bond with it. Try one board first as a test for your spray on material. I know it works well with redwood.
Old     (edandgem)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-07-2006, 7:38 PM Reply   
Isaac, I sent you a P.M. Give me a Call

Ed
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-12-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   
One of my customers sent me this picture. He used Linex. I think this picture is of the platform after it was about 2 years old.
Coated platform
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-12-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
I know a couple of people that have sprayed their teak boards with Linex thinking it would make it less slippery... while it looks nice the slippery factor is lessened by the rough texture. Try getting onto the swim step from the water without scraping the heck out of your knees.

Something to think about. Personally, I would use teak and keep the wood.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-12-2006, 4:25 PM Reply   
I used urathane with anti bear anti-slip and my looks just like it has been just done and it really grabs your feet with out scratching it or your board.