Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-16-2007, 7:48 AM Reply   
My buddy bought one of these and wants to buy a boat. They are rated @ 3600 pounds towing capacity which seems a little light to me and they have a 202 hp, 3.8-liter V6 Engine.

Any one have any experience?

http://www.jeep.com/en/wranglers/index.html?pid=12206060&adid=23835209&rid=
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-16-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
Small I/O, sure. Vdrive wakeboat, not so much.
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-16-2007, 7:07 PM Reply   
Small johnboat or a couple of Jet skis, sure. Asking for trouble with anything wake worthy.

I towed a small, light bayliner POS I/O last summer with my 4 door Dakota which has about double the towing capacity, a bigger V8, more torque, bigger brakes, full tow package, and longer wheelbase and it still felt a little light as a tow rig.

Wranglers are fun toys...not tow rigs.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-16-2007, 9:47 PM Reply   
newty... where you been... stereo is waiting...
hey we went and looked at them for aimee since we are big wrangler fans, but they put the little mini van motor in them this year. pretty gutless otherwise we would have done it. would not have been our primary tow vehicle, but we wanted to tow on occasion. I would not tow sh*t with that new motor... the old inline 6 was a good motor. I bet we see a v8 soon in that rig. It needs it. We were on the waiting list for it when it came out, and still love it, but not a tow vehicle. It will tow it, but wait a few years....
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-16-2007, 9:51 PM Reply   
It will go BOOM! Even with a Dana 44. Most boats weight over 4000 pounds on the trailer.
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-17-2007, 7:25 AM Reply   
no way in hell...if he wants to it to last longer than a week...smack your buddy for being so stupid!
Old     (sroot1)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-17-2007, 8:23 AM Reply   
Unless you are only towing down the street on perfectly flat ground and the ramp is low pitch OR you know you will NEVER have to stop fast!
Don't do it. I used my old mini S-10 blazer to tow with, after a major valve job on the engine and having the boat push me thru an intersection at the bottom of a hill I knew it was time to step up!
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-20-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
Thanks guys! I kind of figured that already. I suggested some options but he wanted to know if there were any wakeworlders out there that had one. He wanted to hook my boat up and try it out, and was answered with a resounding NO!

Diggs. I'm still kind of kicking it around. You have a title to keep and I wouldn't mind being the one behind it. I hear the boat stereo wars ARE ON this year on the Willy.
Lets talk.