Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 01, 2004

Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-20-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
I have a good riding buddy who is thinking about buying a '03 Calabria. The only experience I have with Calabria is the one time I rode behind the Wakesports Unlimited Calabria at one of the So Cal Tournaments. If I remember correctly the wake was pretty small, rampy and wide, similar to a Tige'. I would really hate for him to buy something he wasn't happy with. So I would appreciate any of your opinions.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-20-2004, 6:07 PM Reply   
We are on our second Calabria. Had a '02 VTS sold it for a Pro V. Looked at all other boats and love the '04 Pro V.

First I'll address the wake. The Best Ballast design in the industry PERIOD. Under the floor NO PUMPS. Gravity feed. About 700# ballast. Wide and rampy yes, small no. If you require more wake, adding a additional 1500#(500# each locker and 500# between driver and observe) will provide plenty of wake.

As far as a boat fit and finish a very good. The interior is very plush. Better than MC or Malibu. Most storage PERIOD. You can put 2-3 boards in the storage trunk. Very roomy. Drives very well with relatively no bow rise. Plenty of power unless you add alot of weight and then just re-prop.

Calabria is a personalble friendly company. If you have any questions you can call and talk with someone. They are in Merced, CA.

A strong point of Calabria is a one-off custom boat. No cookie cutter. Graffics are in gel. You can pick interior and exterior colors. Not just packages A,B and C.

Factory ballast

(Message edited by sydwayz on April 20, 2004)
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-20-2004, 6:19 PM Reply   
wuttup Shawn

I've ridden behind the pro-v a several times. The stock ballast is just not enough to get a good wake out of that boat. I'd say with about 2000 lbs of extra ballast (people or weight) the wake gets really nice, big and rampy, slightly steeper than a Malibu. It takes a lot of weight to sink it cuz it's so wide. It's a very wide boat, but the wake really didn't seem that wide to me. It is very sensitive to weight side to side, but once your weight is good the wake is nice. It is a huuuuuge boat with tons of storage.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       04-20-2004, 6:27 PM Reply   
That looks like the Portland Spirit in the background of the 2nd pic.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-20-2004, 6:30 PM Reply   
Yes, Porland water front. Willamette park.
Old    maverick_gear            04-21-2004, 1:54 AM Reply   
i personally think the stock wake is tiny especially for the shape, i rode one in a tournament though and it was well weighted and you got booted very nicely it has a good shape
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-21-2004, 6:53 AM Reply   
Although there are many positive features on the Calabria I haven't heard any positive comments about the wake from intermediate to advanced riders. (Well, Thane could be the first!) I have talked to an owner of one who even says he doesn't like it. But take it for what it's worth.

Go out and demo it with some sacks and see for yourself. What you like vs. others could be very differrent.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-21-2004, 7:37 AM Reply   
I rode a Skurfer behind one in a competition and did a stand up run with 3 inverts. I thought the wake was great. . . of course it could have been the board also.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome Industries
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-21-2004, 8:12 AM Reply   
Shawn - We've had a '02 Pro-V for 2 years now. I agree with Thane, the wake with only the stock ballast is kinda small & rampy. We've added about 1200 lbs (approx 70% in back) and the wake is pretty darn big and a lot steeper. Every boat on the market needs more weight than is provided via tanks or bags from the factory. We haven't had any problems with this boat in the 1st 300 hours. The extra floorspace & loads of storage were a big selling point, I haven't had an issue with the wake width. If we were buying a boat purely for the wake it would be a SAN, but we've been totally happy with our Pro-V. Definitely have your bro demo as many boats as he can (preferably the same day)

Good Luck - Chris Moran
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       04-21-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
At the Wet Wednesday tournament, I thought the wake was fine and big. A little wide and rampy, but everything is after riding SAN's. Didn't get to really feel the wake because I had rollers on all 3 passes so I never actually saw the wake clean, but I've only heard bad things about the interior of their ski boats.
Old    swpmwinc            04-21-2004, 8:58 AM Reply   
We are on our second Pro-V and the wake takes some fine tuning with extra ballast couple of extra sacs and it gets big and solid. Most people tend to load the front of this boat to much. The ballast system puts most of the weight in the center of the boat. A sack in each locker and 1 in the walk thru is just about perfect.
IMO. The boats fit and finish is great. Take a tour of the Factory and see how they are built. And then drive down the street and look at Malibu and Fineline. Then make your choice.
Old     (switch)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-21-2004, 9:25 AM Reply   
Shawn, The best we have ever had the pro-v for the Wet Wednesdays was one 550# in the walkway than one 550# just infront of the v-drive, with about 4 people in the boat. But yes every boat you have to put extra ballast in the boat to make it yours. The ballast taking only one minute to fill is not a big deal to me as we have to but fat sacks in the boat, and that take longer than one minute. Hope that helps
Old    goose69            04-21-2004, 10:10 AM Reply   
I am not a big fan of the Pro-v.
Other then looks it does not have much going for it.
I found it lack in power after filling adequate amount of fat sacks and it also seems to have cavitation problems when you fill the fat sacks and turn. The one thing it does have over other choices of boats is the room in the boat. The Pro-V has one the biggest beam on the market for it’s size. The width doesn't seem to help the wake at all for it’s not a wide wake and does have the vert you need to progress your riding (especially for how much weight you have to put in it). The wake is average and balancing the weights correctly so it can plane or not have water come over the bow seems to be an impossible task.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-21-2004, 10:20 AM Reply   
who needs vert to progress their riding? It cavitates when weighted and turning? define cavitate. I've never seen a pro-v take water over the bow. A new prop could fix the not planing problem.

I'm not here to defend the pro-v, but I want to tell you you're coming out of left field with the info in your post.
Old     (switch)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-21-2004, 10:32 AM Reply   
Thane, I have takin water over the bow on a number of times with the pro-v. I'm sure that Jared from NumbSkull has some pictures to show.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-21-2004, 10:35 AM Reply   
I've driven 10-15 hours in a heavily weighted pro-v and have never taken water over the bow.
Old    goose69            04-21-2004, 10:38 AM Reply   
Cavitation-
The sudden formation and collapse of low-pressure bubbles in liquids by means of mechanical forces, such as those resulting from rotation of a marine propeller.

But I guess the jerking and pulling I felt was something else
I have seen water come over bow consistently about once every Wednesday last year.
As far as getting the boat to plane true buy another prop I didn't say you couldn't but it also has to do with the engine and its horsepower. Simple physics really, it has the same size engine used in other boats. The problem lies in the fact it has a bigger beam.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-21-2004, 11:12 AM Reply   
The Tige 22v also has a 102" beam, and it actually weighs more. I'm assuming the engine in that boat drastically outperforms the engine in the calabria. Taking water over the bow in the Pro-V shouldn't ever be a problem.
Old    swpmwinc            04-21-2004, 11:21 AM Reply   
Well Jared you seem to know alot, once again someone rode in a boat loaded wrong and blames it on the boat. As far as water over the bow maybe your driving skills need help or it could be that the boat was loaded wrong. Wow two things that happen when you put to much weight up front low nose and poor handling,plus cavatation in the turns. Maybe you should try out a properly weighted boat.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-21-2004, 11:23 AM Reply   
Hey guys thanks for the opinions. I just wanted my buddy to see what other people thought before he runs out to buy one.

Thane: wuttup buddy, always a pleasure.
Old    goose69            04-21-2004, 11:44 AM Reply   
xxxl wake,

Love the sarcasm..
Didn't know I was rude for me to disserve that. Sorry you took offense.
But I actually never drove the boat. But it seems out of 20 Wednesdays and a trip to the lake with a Pro-V ,and about 4 drivers it seem a difficult task to provide enough weight to make a descent wake with out having planning problems planning or water coming over the bow. Why not ask whirlybird how many time he actually changed the way he put water in it to see if he could stop water coming over the bow. Over how about asking Collin Wright.
Funny I have been in an X-Star, WakeSetter, and Launch and never had them cause cavitation.

I do believe I encountered these problems with the weight the whirlybird is talking. He can correct me if I am wrong.

(Message edited by goose69 on April 21, 2004)
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-21-2004, 11:52 AM Reply   
check it. Take the Pro-V, fill the pure-vert, put about 500lbs in each locker, about 800 in the bow/walkway, add a couple people, and the wake will be MORE than decent. If you have trouble with the boat planing switch out the prop. If you need more adjustment to the wake, adjust the trim plate.

Jared - you've been in an x-star, wakesetter, and a launch? That's a LOT of boats.
Old    goose69            04-21-2004, 11:59 AM Reply   
I think you mean allot but that's okay I not the best speller either. Ask my business partner. ;)
But I forget the boat that I think puts out the best wake. Ron2biz's 01' SAN. I am not going to get into a pissing contest about how many boats I have been in, drove and road behind. I don't really care. Those where example of boats that we put ALLOT more weight then what your talking about and didn't have planning problems or cavitation problems.

(Message edited by goose69 on April 21, 2004)
Old    swpmwinc            04-21-2004, 12:00 PM Reply   
Well Jared I have asked Collin since he spent a week in my boat at Shasta last year he seemed to get it weighted fairly well, nobody had any complaints that trip. Time and again Jeff has proved to load the boat wrong and then say it is the boats problem. Sorry to be a smart a$$ towards you but once again Jeff shines thru. He has loaded that boat wrong from day one. Then people like you take it as the boat sucks. Not really the boats problem but operator error. We put 250lbs sacks in each locker 600lbs over the v-drive and 700 in the WALK THRU not the bow plus fill the stock ballast and allways make sure the gas tank is full. My boat does not do any of the things that you were complaining about.
Old    goose69            04-21-2004, 12:11 PM Reply   
WoW, I heard it took two weeks for from Collin for him to get the wake how he liked it. But hey I might of heard him wrong. And no need to bash jeff when talking to me ;)
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-21-2004, 12:12 PM Reply   
Well I didn't mean for this thread to be turned into a argument. But I guess thats what you get when you ask opinions.

oh BTW Jared it is: A LOT not ALLOT.
Old    goose69            04-21-2004, 12:20 PM Reply   
Shawn this usually happens for some reason when people talk about Calibria boats. And ya your probably right about the spelling but just proves why I use spell check.
Old    swpmwinc            04-21-2004, 12:28 PM Reply   
Shawn You are right so I am out of here. Jared If you get to NorCal look me up I will give you a pull and hopefully change your mind about the boat.
later Sean
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-21-2004, 12:45 PM Reply   

come here big boy.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-21-2004, 3:55 PM Reply   
Shawn I also am on my second Calabria. My boat is weighted different than the others because of the stereo equipment and I have the Black Scorpion motor. I would agree with what Sydwayz states about the factory. Nice guy's that will go out of there way for you.

If your friend is going to run in really narrow channels or do double ups all day then I would say the Pro-V is not the right boat for him. However if he is into riding with friends and family it is a boat to consider. I do believe that some of the boats talked about in this discussion were weighted incorrectly. That happens with all boats until the correct set up is established. If your friend does end up with a Pro-V have him add a second ballast switch so he can have left and right ballast separately. Makes evening out the boat a cinch and you don't have to move people around. I have only noticed the prop cavitating in really tight turns at higher speeds ( over 25).

I can tell you that with 10 adults in my boat with NO factory ballast just gear the wake is easily mid thigh to waist high on a 5'10" rider. The wake is solid with a good transition.

We have over 140 hrs on our current Pro-v without any problems.

As with anything have him test drive the boat and make his own decision.

Good luck!
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-21-2004, 10:15 PM Reply   
Holy crap, I've never seen a wake that big! Do you have a pic?
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-21-2004, 10:28 PM Reply   
Jared has plenty of video from Wet Wednesdays. Didn't look like riders had problems with the wake.
Old    ag4ever            04-22-2004, 6:05 AM Reply   
Usually the wider the beam, the easier it is for the boat to plane. There is more urface area for the water to push against, and it actually will help it ride a little higher in the water, hence the reason you need more weight to sink the boat. A more narrow boat will require a little more power with the same weight to get up on plan, as it does not have as great a surface area to spread the load out on.
Old    goose69            04-22-2004, 9:18 AM Reply   
I can't believe you guys are still going at this.

He asked for an opinion and I gave mine, based on the experience I had on the boat and riding behind it.
I also have footage of riders doing tricks behind a seadoo 2 man craft……... Doesn’t mean I am going to go buy one or give it a great review.
I also don't remember seen a Calabria mentioned in a conversation based around the topic "best wakes".

(Message edited by goose69 on April 22, 2004)
Old    tombugg            04-22-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
Our 2004 AWA towboat is actually a 2005 Pro-V. And I agree, with a little extra weight (what boat on the market doesn't need it..) The wake is killer. Add that with the fact you can put a billion people in it (comfortably) and the fit and finish is impeccable... We absolutely love ours.. I would post a pic of it on here but it is too big. It's sweet, All red top and bottom with a Grey swoosh. Email me if you want pics I would be glad to email it to you.

Tom Bugg
The AWA

Old    tombugg            04-22-2004, 10:02 AM Reply   

ll
Old     (catdaddy76)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-22-2004, 1:13 PM Reply   
If these Calabria boats are so great why don't they sell more of them? The dealer in my area can't give them away! SANs rule the roost here. I actually tried to buy a Calabria and I could not catch the local dealer OPEN...how can they possibly be very good at service after the sale, if they can't service before the sale?
Old    tombugg            04-22-2004, 2:20 PM Reply   
I think you just answered you own question Teddy. YOu didn't buy because you percieved the dealer as not reliable. I would not have bought from them either..

I am going to try to post a pic of ours. THis is before we really got all fo our Decals on there.
untitled.jpg
Old    kennethl            04-23-2004, 7:33 AM Reply   
I have a new 04 Pro –V.

As far as the wake is concerned we’ve been happy with it. We’ve only had one 600lb sac in it 2x so far.
I’m hesitant to put more weight in. Its plenty big and our riders have no trouble throwing rally’s off just the factory weight. I consistently have people coming back in from their pull stating they were holding back because they intimidated by the size when we run with the extra 600lb sac.
The boat is very sensitive to weight distribution and seems a little heavy on the drivers side, even moving a passenger even 6 inches can make a noticeable difference. I have the dual ballast switch’s Pheaton mentioned and they make it very easy to trim & tune the wake while under way. I have never had any problems with any cavitation whats so ever and no issues with the power from the 315hp.
My wife was able to dip the nose on our own wake when we had the 600lb sac in the walk way but that was because she powered down right in front of the roller –noob dirver-. Just two runs later a brand new VLX was watching us run & they dipped the nose on our wake when they hit it head first. I would be surprised if most boats didn’t dip on the wake.. its plenty big. 300lbs in each locker and a 500lb in the front and it would be off the chart.. I think I would be worried about blowing a knee on landing with it that large.

As far as customer service is concerned the first two things you need to keep in mind when buying any boat is the quality of your dealer and the ethics of the manufacturer. I know my dealer (Rockford Marine) will walk on water and part the Red Sea to take care my needs and they were a huge factor in my buying decision. Customer service after the sale is worth its weight in gold. Some dealers are just looking to initially move a boat, once it leaves the show room floor you could be on your own so shop for a dealer as hard as you shop for any particular model. This makes it absolutely critical you buy a boat from a manufacturer that really stands behind their product. All boats coming off any assembly line have allot of human labor behind them. Given the human factor, any boat from any manufacturer is subject to issues. What sets the manufactures apart is how well they handle a problem once it comes to their attention. Now I’ve had some cosmetic issues with my gelcoat that I’ve not been happy with -purely cosmetic that most people would overlook if they weren’t a discriminating owner. I contacted Calabria, sent them a few pictures, and less then a week later I received a call from Bob (president of the company) after some discussion he offered to take my boat back and give me a brand new 05 because he said they are totally committed to keeping me 100% satisfied with my decision to buy a Calabria.. He asked if I could use my current boat through the end of the season and they would build the new one during the off season that way I wouldn’t miss any time on the water and it would help them out because they have already pre sold the entire production run through November – December. I don’t see how anyone could reasonably ask for or expect better customer service.

If I lost my Pro – V in a fire today, I would buy another one tomorrow with no hesitation.
Old    tattoobling            04-23-2004, 8:27 AM Reply   
From what I hear about the flame arrestor problem Merc's been having, you might one day have to actually put that statement to the test.
Old    tomcjr25            04-23-2004, 9:05 AM Reply   
There's always a cynic in every crowd, huh?
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-23-2004, 9:30 AM Reply   
when we demoed one a while back the boat was real crapy, they took us to a lake that we couldnt even ride in, the bimoni had holes in it, and the windshield had a big flaw all of the way across it on the drivers side, the motor made a lot of noise. If i was going to take someone out to demo a boat to buy from me i would have made sure that the boat was in perfect shape, we now have a wakesetter and couldnt be happier.
Old    kennethl            04-23-2004, 10:20 AM Reply   
Kaiser, I don't know anything about it.. mind elaborating or are you just here to take pot shots?

So far the motors been just fine and the superfast, engine block / air-pump draining system is awesome.. allowed us to start the season in February.

JONb, If the same thing happened to me, I would have walked too.. He was showing you how he maintained the demo's that he owns, makes me wonder how well he would have taken care of your boat --that he doesn't own..
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-23-2004, 11:19 AM Reply   
so how do you like your boat kennethl?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-23-2004, 10:26 PM Reply   
Tom how does the wake compared to the Mob LSV with the gravity bags?
Old    kennethl            04-26-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
Darren, I wouldnt know. Based on over all hull dimensions I would think that it would have more in common / more comparable with the new XLV then a LSV.

JONb, aside from the asthetic gel coat blemish issues I mentioned, I couldnt be happier.