Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    taidums            10-07-2003, 5:26 PM Reply   
Hey...
Going to school in Vancouver next year and wondered if there's anyone out there who wakeboards and can tell me if there's a place i can go for runs and stuff...let me kno!

Thanks!
Old    stu_hert            10-08-2003, 12:07 AM Reply   
Kat,

I'm a BC boy, but from the interior. If you ever hit the road, Shuswap and Okanagan have some pretty killer riding. There are plenty of areas to ride around Van though as well, I am sure you won't be dissapointed. there used to be a pro tour stop in Abbotsford before they moved it to Kelowna.

Stu
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-08-2003, 6:06 AM Reply   
Just watch out for the Ogopogo.
Old    tribal            10-08-2003, 7:57 AM Reply   
Hey,another bc boy here from around whistler just north of van.I don't personally really ride down in van but I know there is a bit of a scene in deep cove [ride in ocean,cold} quite a big scene in deas slough which is basically the fraser river{I've ridden there it's always glassy],something around pitt river and of course cultus lake the madhouse.If you ever come up to whistler we have a great scene here.Our lake is about 3 hrs north of van but no crowds and glass.
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-08-2003, 8:53 AM Reply   
Sean's right, in Vancouver, the main places to go are Deas Slough, Pitt Lake or Cultas Lake way out in Chilliwack. If you don't have a boat, there is a club called Deaz Nutz (they are on the web if you search for them), although they might be a bit expensive for a student.
Old    shiftywakeskate            10-08-2003, 4:01 PM Reply   
im here in chilliwack at cultus, its insane here, but now all the boats have gone away ,except for me the diehard of course. the water at cultus isnt even too cold yet, im planning on going all through the winter at leat once a month
Old    extremegreen            10-08-2003, 6:35 PM Reply   
Hey Lucky Charms - when were you at Wood Lake? From your profile photo it looks like you were parked a few slips over from us. The boat is still in the water for a couple more weeks up here. Air temp (until today) was in the 20s with the water a few degrees cooler. We did blow the wedge last weekend - 2 of the bolts that hold the wedge blade to the arms sheared. It bent the one arm 90 degrees ruining my ride. Under warranty of course.
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-09-2003, 9:03 AM Reply   
Hey Gerald,

You recognized the marina I see! We were at Wood Lake July 19-26 - stayed right at the condos at the marina. I was looking for your Green Machine but didn't see it out, although we saw a few Malibus under covers at the marina. Our spot was the fourth on the right hand side as you are walking out to the main gas dock/rental area. It was a fantastic week - we are set to do it again next year!

Ours is still in the water too, but we've been wrapped up in house renos so haven't been out since early Sept. We may try to get a final few runs in before we pull it out at the end of Oct (drysuit of course).

I've been wondering if we'll have the problem with the wedge too. We'll probably just wait until it goes in for servicing. Do you use the wedge a lot?

Here's my husband with the vineyards in the background.

Joel at Wood Lake
Old    forum25            10-09-2003, 4:26 PM Reply   
Hey Sean, you live in whistler or surrounding area? I used to live in whis myself and lookin on coming back this winter for some shredding and might stay for the summer as well.
Old    tribal            10-09-2003, 11:06 PM Reply   
Tim,yeah I live around pemberton.Not around much in the winter working heli skiing in Bella Coola but am around all summer usually ride anderson lake about 1/2 hr north of pembi.
Old    forum25            10-10-2003, 5:54 AM Reply   
oh u work heli skiing in Bela Coola...wow AWESOME...thats something i have been wanting to do! Yea i am thinkin of moving back and just lookin for a place to stay and stuff.
Old    tribal            10-10-2003, 8:21 AM Reply   
I'm gone from around mid jan to sometime in may but maybe we can hook up some time for a session next spring/summer.When you thinking of coming out.
Old    bradey_132            10-10-2003, 3:46 PM Reply   
if u want a place to ride go to one of the stores and ask for steve mckenlys number he does a school and hes a amaizing rider
Old    forum25            10-10-2003, 6:03 PM Reply   
I was thinkin of coming out beginning of Dec because i have some things to take care before i come out, and another things that is keeping me back is a place to stay.
Old    tribal            10-11-2003, 8:45 AM Reply   
Dude you're young if you have to live in a snow cave.When I was young and living in ski towns I did plenty of winter campingAnyways if you want to live in ski towns cheap you have to be innovative,pay your dues.Point being just go don't let no place to stay slow you down.You can always stay at the hostels until you find a place
Old    forum25            10-11-2003, 11:37 AM Reply   
oh i know..i have had to get innovative in whis before..i got a few places i can stay befopre i will have to move into a hostel or something...i am still coming out for sure and it would be pretty cool if i could wake next summer there too!

You said you gone like mid jan....where do u ride before that?
Old    tribal            10-14-2003, 8:11 AM Reply   
Usually do lot's of yo/yoing skiing-towing each other up with sleds and then rip the steep pow down,lot's of fun.The ski hill is too crowded for me these days.You ski or board?Lot's of fresh snow in the mountain's already!

Old    forum25            10-14-2003, 8:35 AM Reply   
Yea i board..i used to ski when i was a kid but skiing in onatrio sucks so i made the switch to boarding. Yea man i made my decision to move out..i'll find a place to live...friends are puttin me up for a bit anyhow. SO maybe i'll see you out there before you head off to bella coola??

Yea the ski hill does get super crowed i can understand why u don;'t wanna go...i wish i had a way to ride out there then the hill.

those are some sweet pics!
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-16-2003, 3:48 PM Reply   
Sean, nice pics! What mountain is that on? I'm getting excited - Whistler should be opening soon! Should be a much better year than last year was!
Old    forum25            10-16-2003, 4:54 PM Reply   
whis opens on the 22...well blackcomb does and whis on the 27....its been snowing like crazay there and today they got snow in the valley! WOO HOO
Old    tribal            10-16-2003, 7:01 PM Reply   
Tim,who knows we might hook up before I go I don't really get to whis much but def should hook up in spring for some riding.Lucky charms those are the mountains in my back yard.
Old    catalyst            10-17-2003, 3:22 PM Reply   
i live in winfielld for the summer and weekends ride wood lake alot
Old    forum25            10-18-2003, 8:27 AM Reply   
MAybe one day i'll come out to Pemberton and we'll go ride or something? its always nice to get away from whis!
Old    tribal            10-18-2003, 12:16 PM Reply   
Sounds good can you ride a snowmobile?Right now I'm glad the boat has a full tank of gas as all that snow turned to rain and pembi is in full flood.The bridge is washed out to whis and all other roads here are flooded.I live up on high ground so I'm safe but stocked up on groceries as the town of pembi could be under water by tonight
Old    forum25            10-19-2003, 11:31 AM Reply   
Yea i have been watching the weather out there and you guys are getting CRAZY rain..WOW...do you wakeskate and have a DDV player? i could bring my wake DVD's with me if you'd like to see them? I got Boombox, Metronome and Sfumato!

Yea i don;t ride snowmobiles, thats prolly somethign i'll have to learn! and i wanna take some BC courses and get some of that gear!
Old    lunaraven            10-21-2003, 1:01 PM Reply   
I live in BC out in the valley. I was out on my Bday Sunday the 19th for the day. Waterfalls pounding-Sun shining and no one else there. Rain has washed a lot of debris in the water but other than that it was perfect...
Old    tribal            10-22-2003, 6:27 AM Reply   
Rain finally stopped.Cut off from the world for a while phone line just started working.Def wakeskate almost pulled it out for a tow behind the truck on the flooded roads but it was a little too cold out to be inspired.Buddy's boat sank spent yes draining water from motor and getting running.Glad pulled my boat home when I did and that I live up on the hill above the valley
Old    lunaraven            10-22-2003, 8:44 AM Reply   
Your lucky Sean, know some peeps in Squamish who are taking it on the chin a$ well. Hope the rain takes a week off...
Old    tribal            10-26-2003, 6:46 AM Reply   
Anyone in bc still riding or have all thought's changed to winter as mine have?Hey Tim no dvd player but hope to get one soon.Whatever happened to Kat?She started this thread......
Couple pic's of Pemberton flood

Old    tribal            10-26-2003, 6:57 AM Reply   
try that again

Old    forum25            10-26-2003, 8:41 AM Reply   
wow thats terrible, how are things around there now?
Old    tribal            10-26-2003, 9:27 AM Reply   
floods are over still waiting for the new bridge on the highway to whis sunny and cool now waiting for snow.....
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-27-2003, 8:45 AM Reply   
Yesterday we went to haul out the boat for the winter, and discovered that the engine was under about a foot and a half of water (from the recent rainfall). The auto bilge didn't kick in like it should have.
Old    tribal            10-28-2003, 6:18 AM Reply   
Wow that's a drag.We managed to get my buddys outboard going the other day after his boat sunk in the floods hopefully you have the same luck
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-28-2003, 3:25 PM Reply   
Just took it in to the dealer today. We think the bilge float burned out (we only got the boat in April!) but don't know for sure yet. It looks like the damage is going to be fairly minimal (much better than we initially thought).

Actually, our luck sucks. This is just the latest in a string of bad luck over the past couple of years. I guess I will feel fairly lucky if we come through this relatively unscathed.
Old    tribal            11-24-2003, 8:53 PM Reply   
winter's here!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-25-2003, 11:51 AM Reply   
Hi, stupid American here. I have a silly question for all you BC boys and girls. Why are there so many hot women in BC? For instance in Kelowna last summer I was amazed at the ratio of women to men. Was this just an anomaly? Or is that status quo for BC in general?
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       11-25-2003, 12:54 PM Reply   

Hahn… They must have know you were going to be in town.

I think it's just the exchange rate… not more of them… just 34-40% hotter.

Steve, If you want to play the percentages in the states… time for you to visit Hotlanta GA!
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-25-2003, 1:21 PM Reply   
I am from 1965AD most people from BC will be dead by now.
Old    lostcanadian            11-26-2003, 10:01 PM Reply   
Hey, I live over on Vancouver Island, just wondering if anyone is still boarding, i still got my boat out but am going to winterize it if no one else wants to ride anymore. I live in Nanaimo. Let me know if anyone is crazy enough to ride with me!
Old    tribal            11-27-2003, 8:12 AM Reply   
Dude you're hardcore.It's all winter sports for me now.
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-27-2003, 8:55 AM Reply   
Tell me the day, and I'll be there! It's only a 20 min drive from parksville!
B