Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (pa_rider)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-21-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
I am new to this whole wakeboarding thing and need some help. I have been doing some research and think I am going to go with a flex board? Being that I live in PA, the only company here is Slingshot. I am in college and dont have a ton of money to dump into this, but one marina by me still has some 07's left over for 329.99 (response and Driver binding package). I am a female and weigh less than 120lbs. Is the 138 too big, and is this a good deal?

Thanks for the help!?!
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-21-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   
Jayme...IMO while the 'deal' is less than a new package, I think you could get a better setup than that for the price...and I would argue that the 138 is a little big for you.

Look at places like www.boardersbestbuy.com and www.anothersmokindeal.com for the next couple of weeks. The water is cold right now, you aren't in a rush to get your stuff...and some amazing deals have been passing through lately (including Slingshot product). With you being so small, I would suggest you start with a board in the 130-136 range (although when it comes down to it...we are talking 2 cm which is less than 1 inch...so we might be splitting hairs)
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-21-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
Way to big. You want around a 133ish.

Looks like you're getting a decent deal. $100 less than BoardersMall
http://boardersmall.com/xcart/home.php?cat=602
Old     (tysonma)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-21-2008, 11:55 AM Reply   
I'm getting my gf a setup for xmas. I would check ebay. Also, I would go with a Liquid Force or Hyperlite (just personal taste there) I agree with Loren. Put your own setup together. If I were you I wouldn't go bigger than a 134. Also if you haven't been riding long, a board with a continuous rocker would probably be better (less buck off te wake) than a 3-stage.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-21-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
dont mess with any shop except for www.the-house.com

they are the biggest retailer in the world for wakeboards and snowboards. that is a legit statement.

Also I would consider a O'brien Player for your first wakeboard. Its great for ever level of riding!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-21-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
There are a couple of threads on the classified section that are selling slingshot boards and bindings or are selling them separately. Many of them are selling for even cheaper prices.

Though you are after the response it sounds... boardersmall is selling a recoil and boots set-up for $279. http://boardersmall.com/xcart/product.php?productid=18421&cat=602&page=1 maybe your nearby marina (or other people on line) will match it

Also, on boardersbestbuy.com they are selling the 07 drivers for 99 dollars right now, just f.y.i. the womens drivers for 07 look to be always 99 dollars on their boardersmall site. http://boardersmall.com/xcart/product.php?productid=18447&cat=602&page=1
they might be willing to switch the driver bindings for the womens driver bindings if you prefer. cant hurt to ask right? (only the color is different between the two)

I want to say that the 138 will be an ok size for you, only because i had two co-workers (girls) who Loved riding my 142 recoil more than anything else (but i don't know their weights). The boards are so light that i personally generally find myself and others liking a larger size (when it comes to slingshot). But hold tight for a few other opinions on this from others.

good luck, you will love flex, and slingshot is the company that started the flex era

(Message edited by wakerider111 on November 21, 2008)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-21-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
Ohhh, forgot to check THEHOUSE.com

http://www.the-house.com/wake-package-12.html
$239 for the same set-up mentioned above

the womens response board
http://www.the-house.com/wksl34ppw8zz-slingshot-wakeboards.html

You may even want to consider getting 2008 bindings instead of 2007 because they added more of a footbed in 2008 that 2007 does not have

also i want to make sure that IF you do buy a 2007 board, know that you can only use 4 hole mounting boots on it. currently this includes slingshot and company wake only. BUT i strongly believe there will be more companies offering this mounting style in the future