Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-01-2008, 7:47 AM Reply   
Hi guys, Sorry to post another "which board for me" thread...

I have pretty much outgrown my HL Broadcast, so I am looking at some higher end boards. I'm 6'2, 180ish. My hope is to be doing some spins and getting some decent air. I've only ridden the one board, but skim style seems to appeal to me more. Anyway, I'm looking for some advice. I don't want to need an upgrade in a few months, so I'm looking at the more advanced boards.

The boards I've been considering are:

Phase5 Drew Pro model (maybe the LE but $700 may be pushing it. And I'd feel like I need to baby it cuz it's so hot looking.)

IS Black Pearl. I can get one locally for a decent price. I don't hear much about this board though. How does the green loogey compare?

Walker, Bullet or Composite. I like the looks of the skull on the LE version from wakeoutlaws. Don't know much about how they compare to the others though.

Not sure which board is best for me really. Any insight? Any others I should check out?
thanks!
Old     (deafgoose)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-01-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
I love my Phase5 Drew Pro. The limited edition model is sick looking for sure!!!

The board is very fast and the edges are very sharp so it responds to the slightest changes.
Old     (mbwakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-01-2008, 10:35 AM Reply   
I have a Walker Composite X Series Board for sale ill sell it to you for $300 or maybe lower its brand new still in the wrap!
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-02-2008, 5:56 AM Reply   
What boat, how much weight, how big of wave?

I am only 165lbs behind a waist high wave and just got the IS Black Pearl. While it's a rockin board, it's pretty small.

Why get the Drew pro when you could get a Phase 5 Oogle or Prop?
Old     (deafgoose)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-02-2008, 5:57 AM Reply   
The Drew Pro is way more durable.
Old    surfdad            08-02-2008, 6:23 AM Reply   
Dan,

You state: "The Drew Pro is way more durable" in reference to competing P5 products. Really? What do you base that on?
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-02-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
It's a moomba XLV (23'). 750lb in the back corner, and I'll be moving the other 750 to the same side when the crew is too small. The wave with 4 or so people back there is pretty darn big.

Why NOT get the drew pro? I can't find anyone with experience on many of these boards. I just don't know!
Old    surfdad            08-02-2008, 7:34 PM Reply   
tlat,

Tell us what you want - you mention that you want a skimstyle board, but don't mention any true skim tricks - shuv's? big spins? If that's where you see yourself going, or the basis for most of your tricks, that will narrow down your choices. You've mentioned a rather convoluted list if you're focusing on a skimboard.

There are four basic skimmers on the market, the Triple X, Walzer Skim pro, the offerings from Phase 5 and the Inland 4 Skim.

Help us out a bit more, ok?
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-02-2008, 9:09 PM Reply   
I imagine 360s will be the main thing. I do love getting some good air though...
Old    surfdad            08-03-2008, 4:40 AM Reply   
Cool, that does open up all of the boards in your list. You can do airs and surface 3's with all of those boards. Shuv's would be more a more condensed list.

A few more questions and we'll be able to start making reasonable recommendations.

Is putting the board in a standard wakeboard rack important to you?

Is cost a significant factor? You mention that 700 was pushing the limit, but if it was between a 500 board and a similar, but less flashy 300 board which board would win?

You've focused on two distinct tricks, surface rotation (360's) and the aerials. There are many new quad offerings that focu on aerial tricks, but they are quite the challenge for surface three's. You don't see yourself choosing one trick over the other, right? Your focus will always be a mixed bag of tricks?
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-03-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
I guess I was just trying to say the the Prop is a less-expesive tuned-down verson of the Drew Pro (disclaimer I haven't ridden either). The Oogle is a little bit bigger and would be better for your weight. It is still capable of doing all the tricks you mentioned and probably more!
Old     (seminolepride991)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-03-2008, 5:30 PM Reply   
If he is only 180lbs the prop would be fine. Its rating is like under 220 i belive. and im 190 and have no problem riding it.
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-03-2008, 9:00 PM Reply   
I have a dbot5 surf rack, so that isn't an issue. It really has slots a bit too thick for my broadcast-I've been thinking about finding a way to pad the board so it doesnt move around so much.

Anyway, spending less is always a good thing if I can get similar value. Went out tonight and had a lot of fun getting air. I can't get the back end of my broadcast to kick out unless I get it out of the water. I guess I'd really like to do a bit of everything.

thanks, I appreciate the input!
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
If you're thinking about doing "everything" which would include some of the skate inspired tricks like a shuv and big spin, your best bet is a skim style board like you suggested earlier.

There are relatively few skim style boards available at retail, the vast majority of manufacturers offer surf style boards or hybrids.

I would think the industry leader in skim style boards is Phase 5. I've had the great fortunate of having a ton of boards pass through my hands either to ride, or as prizes in events, and the bigger independents do an incredible job of fit and finish. The gloss, traction, fin, etc on a Phase 5 are second to none.

From what I can tell the prop is manufactured with Divinycell h100, it's a tan 6 pound density crossed linked PVC foam. I received a few Phase 5 donation boards and they used some H100 as shock absorbtion material, so I am guessing this is their standard core. The Drew Pro is advertised as being lighter, slightly smaller and with sharper rails, my guess is that the core is the Divinycell H80 which would be a 5 pound density foam. In comparison, a standard surfboard uses 2 pound foam, so this high density foam is plenty strong.

I've noticed that P5 uses some Texalium for their lamination. It's basically 6 oz glass with a light coating of aluminum. IMO, there is no benefit structurally for this fabric in board use as it has the same structural properties as e-glass, BUT it looks sick. I think either the prop or Danielo Pro would be good choices.

Inland Surfer has a skimmer also, the 4 Skim. It has a slightly different construction than traditional skimboard manufacture. They use a low density EPS core and then a layer of wood "laminate" above that to offer the stiffness and dent resistance. The fin placement on the 4 skim is unique in that it is a bit further forward than a traditional skimmer. This will loosen up the tail a bit for lip slides.

The Walzer Skim pro is a traditional skimmer with a lower weight that most typical skimmers. I have not been able to deduce the foam used in the core. It feels very light, possibly a 3 pound foam. Very typical shape and ride. The only place you can buy one is at Wakeoutlaws.com.

The lowest cost board is the Triple X pintail skimmer. It is advertised as being the same basica dimensions and construction as the P5 Prop. Available at Wakeoutlaws.com also.

The Inland Surfer and Triple X are manufactured using resin infusion. It offers the potential to optimize the resin/fabric ratio although a wet hand layup that is bagged can get very close, which is the methodology used elsewhere.

So there you go, the P5's and IS will offer the best fit and finish, the P5's are a bit lighter than the Inland Surfer, the Walzer is the lightest of them all. The Triple X is the lowest cost of all.

In terms of traction, the IS offers a complete deck traction, while the others offer a front and rear pad of some sort. The extra traction on the IS "might" help when learning to land shuv's when your foot placement is not 100% spot on.

IS and P5 are available almost everywhere, Walzer's ONLY at Wakeoutlaws.com and the Triple X at WO.com and eBay.

Hope that helps and be sure to keep us posted on what you decide.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-05-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
actually Jeff laminated Texalium does add stiffness to the board. I'm aware Hexcel's spec sheet gives it similar "dry" specs to E-Glass but I've personally used it and it undoubtedly makes a real world difference. I made 2 identical boards except for a layer of texalium in 1 board and was quite a bit stiffer. I've talked to Glasspro's head shaper and his observations are the same.

(Message edited by CAskimmer on August 05, 2008)
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input wardovision, I've never noticed it but at 52 I may not ride well enough to discern the difference. As you pointed out the spec sheet shows the Tex and E-glass as identical.

So take that into consideration that while the numbers for E-glass and Tex are the same - a notable rider with ability, Wardovision, is able to discern a difference between Tex and standard e-glass.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-05-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
At one time I was going to have both boards stress tested but I ended up giving them away when I was in Chile.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-05-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
The only thing I didn't like about Texalium was that it's a PITA to work with and adds weight. I like the way it rode however, stiffer then E-Glass but not as stiff as Carbon. (I like a little life in my boards but straight E-Glass feels too "washy")
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-05-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
Wow, thanks for the info again!

I just noticed that the Phase 5 boards take 4-6 weeks to get...which starts getting to the end of my season. Damn, I hate when summer comes to an end. Anyone know of a place that stocks P5 boards?
I have heard good things about IS boards, and can get one locally. I haven't seen many people commenting on the skim board though. I don't see the Walzer boards at wakeoutlaws-am I just missing them?
Old    surfdad            08-05-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
Oh my! I see that WO.com no longer lists Walzer! They were the exclusive source for Walzer, so that can't be good. Sorry 'bro.

My local pro shop carries P5, but I don't know of any dealer list.
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-07-2008, 7:21 PM Reply   
Had a few good nights at the poker tables, so I ordered the P5 pro model. I can't wait to try it!

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-08-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
The prop and the Drew board are 2 totally different boards and don't ride the same at all. The drew board is stiffer and faster for advanced tricks. IT is also not the same shape as a prop. The drew has different shaped edges that allow the board to hold in the face of the wave better and respond to any movement. As for durability everything from Phase 5 is the same. It will last for ever if you don't beat it. And I will probably get an email saying that I can talk about the company I ride for but I am simply just trying clear up the confusion with the Drew and the Prop
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-08-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
ASC makes a skim made from the exact same or super similar materials as the p5,its has a bat swallow tail..they sell it for 299 free shipping in the usa..ASC also makes a skim made from the exact same materials as the victoria carbo vac,way more high end than any skim ever avaliable until now,they sell it for 399 free shipping in the usa..both boards offered with any fin size, fin shape or configuration.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-08-2008, 12:15 PM Reply   
And like wardovision said the tex. does make the board a little stiffer. I also find that a stiffer board is faster as I now am riding a carbon board (which is quite a bit stiffer than Tex) and I was amazed at the difference in speed.
just my 2cents
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-08-2008, 1:21 PM Reply   
Thanks for the insight on carbon.

I hoping to test a Drew next weekend to help with my future purchase decision. I plan on only 2 boards to ride and I already have my 'surf style' board, looking for a skim that I won't outgrow....ever
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-08-2008, 2:06 PM Reply   
Joe, are you going to be at the Nationals next week. If yes, we can bring our Phase 5 Prop for you to test.
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-08-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
So cool to have Drew on here chatting with people...I can't wait til my board arrives!

Took the center fin off of my broadcast tonight. That made it a whole new board. I took a few headers into the wake until I got used to it. I did manage a 360 with the rope, though I didn't really use it. Boy is that loose back end weird. I like it.