Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old    jrss13            08-21-2006, 8:18 PM Reply   
I know this always causes some arguments...but I think it is time for ME to get a helmet. Here is what happened tonight when I caught an edge on a w2w 180 and smacked the board into my head. It resulted in 12 staples and some blood covered gear and towel.Upload
Upload
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-21-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
OMG!!! hope you recover quickly.
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-21-2006, 8:22 PM Reply   
OMG...is right, that i got a scare under my nose from a kicker, but that was nothing...
Old    pmastan            08-21-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
awesome
Old    jrss13            08-21-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
It'll be good. The doc at the ER told me I am good to go, and can be back on the water tomorrow. I will probably wait until Wednesday at the earliest...but make sure I've got a helmet on.
Old    pmastan            08-21-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
That is a lot bigger than I thought I mean the gash didn't look that big right after it happened, to much blood to see. Definately time for a helmet, piece of mind and all.
Old    jrss13            08-21-2006, 8:38 PM Reply   
I owe you a new towel Phil...and a high five for driving my to the ER
Old    pmastan            08-21-2006, 8:42 PM Reply   
forget the towel just glad to hear your season isn't finished. see ya wednesday
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-21-2006, 8:42 PM Reply   
did the board come off your feet or are you just very flexible? glad to hear you are alright. tighter bindings might be a good idea if you came out.
Old    jrss13            08-21-2006, 8:52 PM Reply   
Nope...it definitely stayed strapped to my feet. I have the '06 LF Shane's...so there is no way I am coming out of them. Apparently I am just super flexible. I am feeling it in my lower back now, can't wait to see what it feels like in the morning.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-21-2006, 10:34 PM Reply   
ouch - it looks like your electric swing-line stapler went ak47 on you.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-21-2006, 10:39 PM Reply   
Dude, glad you are ok! Looks like a giant hatchet wound or something!
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-21-2006, 10:40 PM Reply   
Ouch, what you East Coast dudes will do to get some claim to fame. Reminds me again to wear my helmet.

I hope that you didn't bleed all over the boat!
Old    jolly_roger_wake            08-21-2006, 10:40 PM Reply   
awesome man, awesome. battle scars are wicked. glad to hear you can ride at your convenience, season ending scars aren't good.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-22-2006, 12:11 AM Reply   
I don't believe it, 14 replies and no-one has yet said how usless helmets are and they wouldn't have helped you in this accident.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-22-2006, 1:51 AM Reply   
Jeff that is gnar!!! and crazy to think you can jump right back in the water. Good luck, hope it heals up fast and clean.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-22-2006, 7:53 AM Reply   
"I don't believe it, 14 replies and no-one has yet said how usless helmets are and they wouldn't have helped you in this accident."

Helmets are sooooo useless. They would not have helped you.

Happy?

FYI I love helmets.
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-22-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
haha good job garret
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-22-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
Nice work!!!

If you were wearing a helmet you wouldnt have gotten that sweat scar.

Helmets Suck!!!
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-22-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
doesnt that suck... ive done that twice.. once was my fault for riding at 9 o'clock at night... its just going to be a 8!TCH when you have to brush your hair hahaha mine was only two inches.. thats like 6 !?!?!?!?! ouch hope your feeling alright
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-22-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
All the fash bias just doesn't make sense to me, but even on my boat my crew, mostly reasonable teens, goes nuts if they seen someone in another boat wakeboarding with gloves on or riding with a helmut (unless they are doing something impressive then they get a pass) I wish I could say a don't care at all but it isn't true. Opinions, even idiotic pointless ones, make an impression. Sorry to ramble, but had to say it.

Peter, I'm curious as to why you said a helmut wouldn't have helped in this instance? Looks like he got cracked on the head and it split his scalp. A helmut should definitely have prevented this type of injury IMHO.
Old     (socalf150rider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-22-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
this happen to me on a fs360 mine was on my fore head... right on
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-22-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
HOLY ****.

that actually gave me shivers. Good luck on the recovery.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-22-2006, 12:32 PM Reply   
Hope the blood didn't stain your gear that would be the really bad thing about taking that hit. At least you were cleared to go back out. By the way when do they pull the staples back out?
Old    jrss13            08-22-2006, 3:18 PM Reply   
They are taking them out in 9 days from what I was told. I was told to call my PCP and have him take them out. I've definitely never had staples or stiches...just a ton of broken bones...so that should be interesting. The size of the cut is 3 inches long and 8 mm wide. It was enough to where I was able to basically lay my index finger in it. I did this while in the water waiting for the boat. I knew it was cut, just wasn't sure how bad. A helmet definitely would have pretty much completely prevented it. My back would have still been sore, but no huge cut on the head. I am hoping to buy a helmet this week and be back on the water by the weekend. Oh yeah, and yawning and even eating are sort of strange with staples in your head...it gets all tight and uncomfortable. Luckily I don't brush my hair, I usually spike it, so no need to worry about a bristle breaking the skin once it heals.
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-22-2006, 3:52 PM Reply   
I am opposed to helmets but even I must admit that one may have helped you out that time.

Has anyone thought of designing a board with some foam around the edge? It's a stupid idea but I don't want to wear a helmet that bad. I'm looking for options.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-22-2006, 7:12 PM Reply   
Well, that made me a believer!

Sometimes I "forget" to put my helmet on, but I think I'll be wearing it from now on.

Foam edges on a board........might make it tough to edge into the wake don't you think?
Last time I checked, snowboards don't use soft edges either, just nice sharp steel!
Old    abadsvt            08-22-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
DAMN!!!! I am going out right now to buy a helmet. I don't care what it cost. I hope you get better and glad your okay. I don't know if i will be able to sleep tonight.
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-23-2006, 6:04 PM Reply   
Dude, were you on a wakeskate? How in the world do you smack your head like that with a wakeboard on a 180? Good to see you recovering fast.
Old    jrss13            08-23-2006, 6:09 PM Reply   
I have absolutely no idea how it happened, but it definitely smacked me in the top of my head while strapped in to both feet. Regardless, I bought a ace wake on wakeside.com last night.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-23-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
so never had stiches or staples before, well you started off with a bang, lol.

So what about showering and that stuff? dude shampooing that must be weird.

allways remember, chick dig scars
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-23-2006, 9:39 PM Reply   
Derby...I will be impatiently waiting to see your head cracked open on here and see you still say "helmuts suck"....so typical....
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-23-2006, 9:47 PM Reply   
Jeff.....props to you for getting a helmet. Glad to see you learned from your experience. Have you ever seen these kind of injuries posted on here by someone who was wearing a helmet? Besides, some day it is going to be mandatory like a horse riding helmet is to equestrian riders. Get used to it now.

WEAR A HELMET!!!!!!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-23-2006, 9:48 PM Reply   
derby....darn those "muts" again....helmets!!!!
Old    jrss13            08-24-2006, 4:39 AM Reply   
Shampooing isn't painful at all, but it is strange. Even though I've showered 3 times with it now, I am still really gentle and slow with putting my head under the water. When rubbing the shampoo in...it is strange to feel the staples for sure. Somehow I always find a way of injuring myself big to start with. About 6 years ago, after snowboarding for 7 years, I fell hard and broke 3 bones at once...2 bones in left wrist and right shoulder...good times. Haven't broken anything since then. (knock on wood)
Old     (thegirl)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-24-2006, 4:50 AM Reply   
yeah, well, just don't knock on your noggin for a while. Heal fast and strap it on!
Old     (board4ce07)      Join Date: May 2004       08-24-2006, 8:00 PM Reply   
He said he was in the Shanes? I just ordered a pair man, do they really not come off. that sucks
Old    jrss13            08-24-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
I guess if you don't tighten them down much, they would come off. I prefer them to stay on, no matter what. I come from a snowboarding background, and prefer my stuff tight.
Old    jrss13            08-25-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
I am glad to say that I went out riding tonight, with the 12 staples in my head. They were just put in Monday, so I took off 3 days...and got a quick set in tonight. I have a ace wake on order, but it hasn't come yet. I brought my snowboard helmet along, and tried to put it on, but the helmet was rubbing against the staples which wasn't too comfortable.
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-26-2006, 4:44 AM Reply   
Jeff,

I convinced now despite having scrambled the noggin a few times lately. I wore a friends helmet yesterday for the first time and it wasn't too bad except for all the wind noise. Small price to pay compared to your results. Come ride with us out near Rome, NY sometime if you're in the area. Usually nice water to be found.
Old    jrss13            08-30-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
JHG, I am definitely interested in checking out Rome at some point.
So here is my most recent update. Got the 12 staples removed today. The Dr told me that I should probably stay out of lake and river water for at least a week. I guess the wound is still open and could easily get infected. Looks like I am going to be 175 lbs of ballast in the meantime.Upload
Upload
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-30-2006, 4:33 PM Reply   
Beats being 6 feet under.

Quite possibly the most extreme pictures I've seen on this board. I hope you're feeling better.

Bruce
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-30-2006, 6:47 PM Reply   
Just had our friends daughter knock herself in the head when one foot came out of her board. I tried to get her to wear a helmet before her ride but at 16 she didn't want one. It scared her and gave her a headache but thankfully that was all. All I said, it now you know why I ride with a helmet.