Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (krzfastest2010)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-24-2008, 10:28 PM Reply   
o so i have a 18ft maxum wit a monster tower. i have to get almost pallell to the boat then cut to even clear the wake... wut can i do to make the most out if wut i have?
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-24-2008, 10:31 PM Reply   
Are you raising the outdrive at all?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-24-2008, 10:33 PM Reply   
do you have a non-stretch rope? (spectra or dyneema)
IF NOT, then this is the first thing to help you.

also what length are you riding at? maybe shortening the rope a bit?

adding weight to the boat may help beef the wake a bit

depending on your skill level you may need to learn to get more pop (height) from your jumps

answer/comment on these first and then we will go from there

p.s. NICE tower though!
Old     (krzfastest2010)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-24-2008, 10:34 PM Reply   
ya and i got a power prop...
Old     (krzfastest2010)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-24-2008, 10:38 PM Reply   
ya i have a spectra i belve( its got the plastic coverin)

i am rideing at 60'

i am not too skilled but i have friends wit wakeboarding boats and i can clear wake np at all

and yes tower is well worth the money
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-24-2008, 10:58 PM Reply   
I suppose working on your progressive edges may be a significant area to look at. 60' should be do-able, based on my personal experience behind 18 ft. boston whalers with a short ski pylon (really really crappy)

BUT, ya, you're right. it is way easier to jump the wake on true wake boats. i used to think that i was really doing something wrong 'cause i couldn't clear the wake riding any further back than 60 or 65 behind my dad's glasstron boat. i rode 75' ft behind a really nice boat and even at 75' i did not have to push it.... ANYWAY...

try some shorter cuts and force yourself to generate the same speed, (or close to the same speed) that you would normally feel just before the wake. you may still not jump the wake, but i believe that doing this a few times may help you feel out a stronger progressive edge to get more pop. then you can add more distance in your cut and clear the wake as necessary. ALSO, if you are not already jumping toe-side, i'd suggest really going for it. a lot of times i see people get more pop toeside than heelside, despite they feel less comfortable with toe side. it is a common phenomenon, even I jump better toeside riding SWITCH (which for me, switch is deffinately at a beginers level and i just recently cleared the wake... first time being toeside) for now anyway.

so for a re-cap:
1. try shorter cuts, at least temporarily to feel things out to gain a stronger progressive edge
2. put forth more effort on toeside (if not already) and something might just click that in turn will help your healside edge and pop.
3. Wait for a few other Wake worlders to give their advice, many of whom may be a bit more qualified too than myself. always good to get other suggestions of course
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-24-2008, 11:00 PM Reply   
There's no reason you shouldn't be clearing the wake behind your boat with a 60' spectra line.

My thoughts to this would be:

Is the boat going fast enough?

Are you flattening off your edge or otherwise not edging progressively into the wake?

Are you timing your pop at the top of the wake?
Old     (krzfastest2010)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-24-2008, 11:05 PM Reply   
thnkx guys i will try all of this well i am ovr in eastern wa this week.. i will probly be goin behind wakesetters tho so i guess i can be workinon this stuff on them
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-24-2008, 11:37 PM Reply   
Tyler,

Even behind the wakesetter you can still work on your form and edging.

Try some of the stuff that Jeremy has suggested.

Work on building your edge by starting slowly through the transition (toes to heels or vice versa) and coming into the wake building speed as you go. You want to be on edge as you ride up the wake and then pushing/standing tall at the top of the wake.

Your handle position should be set around your hips (in your profile pic it's up around your shoulders). Set the handle at your hips in the transition (it's the easiest time to do it) and as you build your edge into the wake the handle should remain in that position. It shouldn't feel like you have to work to keep it there, if it does feel like you have to work you're not likely edging progressively.

Hope it helps. Good fundamentals will let you excell behind any boat! Good luck!