Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-12-2010, 7:35 AM Reply   
so, I'm building this somewhat off of the "most crap anyone has brought on your boat" thread, and I can think of a lot worse things that people have done to my boat other than bringing out too many gatorades.

heres a couple examples:
#1: my friends brought sunflower seeds on the boat, after I specifically told them not to. they then thought it wold be a good idea to have one of them sitting in the bow and throw the seeds to my friends sitting in the stern so they could try to catch them in their mouth's. you can guess how that turned out.....

#2: (even though this isn't a wake boat, its still a boat nonetheless). I had some friends up to my cottage, but I couldn't entertain them because I had to work all day, so I told them they could take the pontoon and the jetski's out (I hid the keys to the ski boat). When I came back to my place the day my friends were leaving, I walked onto the lake side to see one jet ski half on a hoist that they somehow managed to break, and the other one floating around the end of my dock (luckily it was calm otherwise it would have been long gone). upon further inspection, when they took my pontoon boat out, they somehow managed to rip off one of the backs of the captains' seats in the bow, and when they tried to dock the boat they ran it into the front of my dock so hard that they mangled one of the pontoons so bad that we almost had to get it replaced. not to mention the fact that it took me a solid two days to scrub the carpet from the combination of doritos and goldfish they ground into it.

It goes without saying that my friends from incident two are now "blacklisted".

Im sure you guys have some horror stories of your own. post em up!
Old    alanp            12-12-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
i had a buddy drive my boat in a shallow area that he knew he should have driven it. i was yelling at him the whole time while getting pulled. he hit something( a tree im assuming) he said he just blanked out. a bent drive shaft, shredded prop and a bunch of fiberglass. damage. no biggie we got it all fixed.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-12-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
My boat is my dads old boat. This labor day we went to powell. And on three occasions my old man was just being a neglectfull jerk face. He kept coming into the back of the beached houseboat waaaaayyyyy to fast. A broken air vent cover, broken monster tower knob, and some gelcoat dings later the trip was over. If I had been driving HIS boat like that, I would have been dis owned. Oh well. Im sure I thrashed some of his stuff over the years.

The worst I have done was to a sweet xstar a few years back. I had never driven a weighted boat or an inboard. I got to go out with a guy with an xstar, it was my turn to drive for him. On my first turn around to pick up, i submarined the pickel fork. Bad. There was an ipod on the follr that was toast. And I felt like a tool bag.
live n learn
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-12-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
This guy powerturned our boat a couple of times this summer, when he invited us to his neck of the woods. I asked him why he was doing it, and I guess that is how his buddies returned to pick up a fallen rider.
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-12-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
This was my previous boat, no i didn't get rid of it because of this. My regular riding buddy was driving and put it right up on a submerged island! Ouch I started to bitch him out, "I'm not done with my set, why are you stopping?" Then I realized I was standing in the middle of the lake!
Attached Images

Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-12-2010, 4:40 PM Reply   
Back in the old days of lost isle, I had a steroid redneck retard lose the lid of his Copenhagen all over the interior of my boat. The lesson 1, don't do Lost Isle. Lesson 2, keep your can tight if you gotta pack it. You NEVER vacuum up fresh Cope from carpet.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-13-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
Broke his Femur.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       12-13-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
I poked a hole in mikey ennen's interior with a tripod. felt like a douche
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-13-2010, 3:50 PM Reply   
Someone stepping in my boat with tar all over their sneakers, all over the carpet and the boat was in it's first summer at the time. Torn vinyl from idiot sitting on my engine cover with keys. Now my kids trash my boat more than anyone swinging from the tower and launching onto the rear seats. Looks like fun, so life is too short to get too upset.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-13-2010, 4:22 PM Reply   
My sister tracked dog **** all over my boat once.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-14-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
I snapped the rudder off a boat and watched it skip across the water like a coin. It was pretty sweet.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-14-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
I let my 'A' driver borrow my boat pretty much whenever he wanted, and one time while he was alone pulling his girlfriend he drove the boat on to shore going full wakeboard speed. It was an I/O and amazingly the only damage was to the hull and prop. He made it right paying for the repairs and a year or two later when I upgraded to a v-drive he bought that I/O. It took me a few days to cool down from that one, but we are still good friends several boat upgrades later.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       12-14-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
As a favor to me while I was away on business - immediately after being ill for a few weeks, my "A" driver and best friend offered to take my boat out of the water for the season a few years ago. Of course, I say Yes You Rule Thank You.

As someone who has been around boats his entire life, I still think putting a boat on a a trailer at a public ramp safely is one of the most difficult things we do on a routine basis. On my lake, I actually have access to 2 private launches, but he doesn't. So, I know it's not Space Station rendezvous/docking, but it's generally a one shot deal and you can't screw this *ish up. You definitely can't if its a busy ramp. Or you look like a moron and/or damage your boat.

Well my "A" driver let his highly inexperienced boater girlfriend (now wife), take my boat, while he takes the truck over to the ramp. As the story goes, the ramp was crazy. This ramp is never "crazy". Seriously it is a po-dunk ramp in a po-dunk town and has 4-5 busy days but that's in like July during wahoo-dingbat fever. We stay way clear of that side of the lake, let alone the ramp.

So, somehow, Captain Gelcoat got "nudged" by some "aggressive" bass boats and she put mine on the rocks. We know how well these v-drives maneuver in general, so imagine someone used to driving a Lexus car trying to back a SAN in a controlled way. Not happening. They don't. I am appalled at how bad a SAN maneuvers in reverse so bless her heart she must have had a heart attack. Difference between me and her? I'd put my own skin & bones between a rock and the gelcoat on my boat. Forget the part where I'd put myself in October-cold Massachusetts water without thinking twice, fully clothed. I guess this never occurred to her.

MINOR damage. Repairs done & paid for by them. Insurance delta has been since paid by them too. The thing basically floated at .03mph onto a rock. She still destroyed the prop somehow. But when told the story, I was so weirdly not mad, but instead amazed at the thought process behind what happened. I would never, ever think of doing anything even minutely risky with someone's expensive thing. I've been around some serious equipment in my life. Planes, boats, cool cars. Ending with an insane 65ft Sportfish, and I was scares s*****ss of that thing until the day my Dad sold it. Every time I drove it I freaked, knowing I was way out of my league. If I was asked to do anything even remotely complex, I practically asked for a flight plan to be filed.

Last edited by juniorhawk; 12-14-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old     (cbkaboom)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-14-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
Guy on a seadoo got pissed after one of our riders had flipped him off for cutting across the wake right behind him and decided he would powerturn and spray the entire contents of our boat. Genious didn't realize that his seadoo would slide across the surface of the water and slam into my boat....needless to say I wasn't overly pumped!
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       12-14-2010, 3:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbkaboom View Post
Guy on a seadoo got pissed after one of our riders had flipped him off for cutting across the wake right behind him and decided he would powerturn and spray the entire contents of our boat. Genious didn't realize that his seadoo would slide across the surface of the water and slam into my boat....needless to say I wasn't overly pumped!
Oh. My. God.
Seriously?
In that situation, after making sure he was ok, because that sounds like a limb-loss accident, I am afraid I would then need to be pinned down, keeping me from doing things to make sure he was super not ok.

Wow.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-14-2010, 8:04 PM Reply   
I would be on the phone to h2popos
Old     (bradmo42)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-14-2010, 9:01 PM Reply   
Had a buddy try to pull away from the dock one day after getting gas. He jumped in the seat (i was loading something into back locker and standing on deck), I told him not a good idea, he insisted, I said "no seriously, this isnt as easy as you would think" -- he does it anyway..proceeds reverse first.. going ok... goes forward too soon and sees the back end coming around so to try to miss the dock he SPEEDS UP...SLAM.

Thankfully, nothing happened. I watched the back right side right behind the gas cap flex in and then just pop back out. Like a coke can or something, it was crazy. Obviously I was super pissed and he apologizes pretty much every time I see him to this day.

im having flashbacks thinking about this and may or may not be getting pissed off again.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-14-2010, 10:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmo42 View Post
Had a buddy try to pull away from the dock one day after getting gas. He jumped in the seat (i was loading something into back locker and standing on deck), I told him not a good idea, he insisted, I said "no seriously, this isnt as easy as you would think" -- he does it anyway..proceeds reverse first.. going ok... goes forward too soon and sees the back end coming around so to try to miss the dock he SPEEDS UP...SLAM.

Thankfully, nothing happened. I watched the back right side right behind the gas cap flex in and then just pop back out. Like a coke can or something, it was crazy. Obviously I was super pissed and he apologizes pretty much every time I see him to this day.

im having flashbacks thinking about this and may or may not be getting pissed off again.
Yeah, when you see something like that get smacked and then pop back out, its pretty crazy. I did something similar when I first started driving where I backed my moms SUV out of the garage and my sister had parked my volvo behind it. Needless to say, i backed up and then heard a nice thump. I go back and look at my car and see a dent, run inside to yell at my sister, double take the car, and the dent has miraculously popped back out with absolutely no damage.

Al, those stories suck and I definitely feel your pain. It sucks being the one that is liable for all the stuff and people are just trying to have a good time and don't really see it from the other side and don't respect your **** like you'd hope
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       12-15-2010, 8:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeborder5 View Post
Those stories suck and I definitely feel your pain. It sucks being the one that is liable for all the stuff and people are just trying to have a good time and don't really see it from the other side and don't respect your **** like you'd hope
At least for my story, I think they respected my stuff, but suffered from an acute case of HUBRIS. It's the only way I can explain it, it's the first thing that came to mind, particularly with her putting my boat on a rock (then damaging the prop trying to get it off...), but also his decision making prowess. God, I cringe at it, but since she's generally a good woman, and he's a good man, and I'd take a bullet for either, its just hubris in my mind. They still get to go to heaven.

Hubris: Hubris (also hybris) means extreme haughtiness or arrogance. Hubris often indicates a loss of touch with reality and overestimating one's own competence or capabilities, especially for people in positions of power.

Ummm... BINGO.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-15-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmo42 View Post

This is actually the worst thing I did to my friends boat. They have an 04 tige 24v that is really hard to manuver compared to my VTX, I was bringing around the nose and just cliped the back end. left a small white mark, but no real damage. Felt terrible though
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-16-2010, 4:01 PM Reply   
My somewhat new Natuique was in tow behind a houseboat on Powell. My "friend" was driving the houseboat through the Narrows & there's a lot going on...like a rescue helicopter landing on the rocks. She makes a hard right & t-bones buoy # 13 with my Nautique! Some significant gelcoat damage, but in the big scheme of things (like chopper was there to transport a person that didn't make it)....not that big a deal. Come to find out, # 13 is her favorite number...so, we can laugh about it now!

Last edited by wakekat15; 12-16-2010 at 4:02 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       12-17-2010, 11:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakekat15 View Post
...Some significant gelcoat damage, but in the big scheme of things (like chopper was there to transport a person that didn't make it)....not that big a deal.
Why do they send in a chopper to transport the person that didn't make it? Seems like time kind of ceases to be of the essence at that point.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-18-2010, 5:58 AM Reply   
The person died en route to the hospital, so there was still a chance when they picked her up. Otherwise, excellent point regarding time! However, the whole situation made it impossible to be mad about the minor damage to the boat! Perspective is a good thing!
Old     (rbrandon)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-18-2010, 9:40 AM Reply   
One weekend in late July we were with my wife's family. We had roughly 26 people between our boat and a pontoon so we would transfer peeps between so everyone who wanted to try and surf or wakeboard got a chance. I had broken my leg 4 wks prior so basically could only drive the boat. While trying to transfer people (nose to nose) this guy who I didn't know pulled this HUGE power turn around us and stopped real close (he knew a friend of mine and just wanted to speak). Of course with the front of our boat only inches from the pontoon boat and this causing a see-saw effect!! My father-in-law managed to keep them apart almost getting his arm smashed between them. Talk about feeling helpless (not being able to get up), plus having 5 kids standing in the bow trying to get on the other boat so I couldnt slam it in reverse...To close for my liking for sure!

I'm pretty sure he figured out what he had cause by the panic on my face! If it wasn't for all the kids he definitely would have gotten a few words of wisdom, if you know what I mean.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       12-18-2010, 5:10 PM Reply   
Guess i'm fortuante I never had anything real bad happen. Sounds like some of you guys have had some bad experiences. My worst was on my previous boat, and older I/O. Cool boat but nothing to write home about. One time my friend was driving and I was telling him to watch out for crap since the Delaware is full of junk. He ran over several small pieces of driftwood that thunked off the bottom but didn't do any damage so far as chips or damaged prop

Other time on the same old I/O a friend was driving (idle speed) while I was in the bow putting gear away, I notice a big roller right ahead of us from a tug, ask if he sees it, he says yes, so I sit down to be ready for it. He throttles up to keep the bow in the air going into it, then right before we hit it he throttles down and tucks the bow, thought I was in a swimming pool not a boat. Wall of water crashed over me and though we might be in trouble from teh amount of water inside the boat. I was pretty irritated, and he didn't drive my boat again. He was one of those done everything, know everything types, but then quickly you realize it's all a story.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-19-2010, 4:40 PM Reply   
The 2 worst things to happen to my boat were my fault.

I got into shallow water when the tide was dropping after my flatmate fell way in the flats and I was trying to tow him out, ended up hitting the end of an oyster bank right next to the channel, busted the trim actuator on the out drive, and smashed off about 2 feet of the stainless keel guard, those banks are like concrete... Luckily we floated off and weren't stuck out there since standing on oysters isn't fun.

Second one I was driving back from riding in rough water, very heavy boat since I'd left one of the 3 hull plugs out after cutting my foot and the entire floor cavity was full of water, as well as having 9 people on board. We hit a bunch of bigger waves that basically stopped the boat dead from a fast idle and took a whole lot of water over the back, got into the motor and hydrolocked it, we ended up having to get a tow back in and nearly sank.

Not particularly proud of either moment but the boat still tows us pretty well after putting 7 grand into the motor for a rebuild and corrosion protection.

Last edited by jtnz; 12-19-2010 at 4:47 PM. Reason: .
Old     (sasky_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-20-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
my wife's cousin came for a ride in my Moomba just a couple days after i got it. Then to my disbelief he pulls out a smoke and proceeds to try to light it. I guess the look on my face said it all... he put the lighter away and stuffed the smokes back in his pocket. the other time was a couple of my son's buddies jumped in the boat for a ride with their muddy shoes on... my stepson freaked out on them before i even got to the end of the dock to get in the boat. glad to see i've taught him well! lol!

Geoff
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-05-2011, 9:11 AM Reply   
Had someone step on the top of the back seat rest as they were boarding and split the vinyl. Later that day, one of the kids was getting back in from the swim deck and snagged the split, ripped half the vinyl off of the backrest of the seat.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-05-2011, 9:14 AM Reply   
had a girl have her period all over the back seat and a drunken group of rednecks on a pontoon hit the boat with a beer bottle because our wake was messing up their fishing even though we were there first
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-05-2011, 4:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
had a girl have her period all over the back seat
Seriously?? If so, you win, hands down.
Old     (Moseley618)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-05-2011, 5:25 PM Reply   
First time I took my V-Drive out I was trying to pull into a dock and had my buddy up in the front to keep us straight. Some Jackhole flys through a no wake zone and sends some massive rollers our way. My buddy uses this exact moment to decide he needs a drink of beer lets go of the dock and the rollers dips the nose under the dock and gives my baby her first rash.

Second, time we had a guys weekend at the lakehouse and someone invited about a 400lb chick. She was sitting in the bow we were heading back to pick up a rider took a huge wave over the bow that even cleared the windshield. That was my bad! But seriously who invites chicks to a guys weekend if they are 400lbs?
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-05-2011, 5:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moseley618 View Post
Second, time we had a guys weekend at the lakehouse and someone invited about a 400lb chick. She was sitting in the bow we were heading back to pick up a rider took a huge wave over the bow that even cleared the windshield. That was my bad! But seriously who invites chicks to a guys weekend if they are 400lbs?
Make he was just trying to help out by bringing self-moving ballast
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-05-2011, 7:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
had a girl have her period all over the back seat and a drunken group of rednecks on a pontoon hit the boat with a beer bottle because our wake was messing up their fishing even though we were there first

Just be thankful you don't have a large boat with a head. Chasing mice out of macerators is not a relaxing way to spend the day on the water.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-05-2011, 8:07 PM Reply   
Someone once sharted on the boat.