Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old    billy_ray            11-27-2005, 3:54 PM Reply   
i have a question..is the new 06 malibu vlx a smart choice. will i be happy with its overal performance.. i am a hard hard core wakeboarder..i need a boat with a large wake ..is the wake very adjustable with the wedge??does anyone have any pics or videos of any new malibus??\
thnx
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-27-2005, 4:02 PM Reply   
Demo if you can, but you'll be happy. VLX is probably one of the top three choices. Super Air Team or X-Star being the other two.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-27-2005, 7:36 PM Reply   
vlx is def a top choice. it gets my vote for sure.
Old     (greggh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-27-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
I demoed the VLX and the X-Star. The X-star is not $20 K nicer by any means. The VLX has a great wake and user friendly options for less money. Less than $60 K brand new, fully loaded. Storage and room is what the X-Star has a lot of.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-27-2005, 8:11 PM Reply   
for 06 you can get the power wedge which can be adjusted to change wake shape. You can also get quad ballast tanks, and the tanks are built into the floor, so you can add more sacs. Its the boat the pros use, so it is a great choice, you can check out

www.themalibucrew.com
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-28-2005, 1:09 AM Reply   
WaterBoy,

Your profile does not say where you are located. If you are near So Cal, hit me up for a ride. I am sure you would be very happy with the VLX. Check with some riders in your area and take a ride.

I go back and forth on the wedge. Great thing to have as an option, but I really don't use it that much. Definately don't order a Bu and skip the wedge. It is great to have as an option. The wedge does not make the wake "bigger", but makes the regularly "rampy" wake a bit steeper. At least that what I notice. Out of probably 20-plus persons that ride with me/our group, only 2 or 3 request the wedge. The rest are very happy with the wake just the way it is. If I really want to kick it up, I fill 2 extra 400 pounders in the rear lockers. Wow! I find that we really don't need that. I have plenty of riders throwing inverts, big air, spins, etc, and love the wake. Other than that, the VLX is a quality ride as far as power, handling, fit/finish, etc. I am always getting compliments on the boat, and from other boat owners. I may be biased, but I have been on many other boats. I like my Bu, and the other boats are great also. Just depends on which one really grabs you.

Get out on one and see what you think. I am sure you will be impressed. BTW, the 06 has the same hull/handling, etc as the 06. 04's were a different hull (now the V-Ride) and is also a great wakeboat.

Good luck.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       11-28-2005, 9:26 AM Reply   
we have an '06 VLX with less than 20 hours on it. I find that we haven't used the wedge much at all. I like the wedge wake, but it makes it pretty wide so if you ride wedged you either cut like a mad man every time or you shorten up the rope.

I like the wake without the wedge, full factory ballast plus a little extra in the nose and the trunks. If we got the boat earlier in the summer this wouldn't have been a big issue, but with only 3-4 people in the boat, it needed a little help sinking.

I love the wake, the layout, and the craftsmanship. Everything about the new Malibus, old ones too in my opinion, is very nice! Super comfortable seats, the carpet is really really nice, it feels like a livingroom on the lake!
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       11-28-2005, 2:55 PM Reply   
I disagree about the above mentioned characteristics that the wedge actually adds to the wake. I believe many people will say that the wedge changes the shape of the wake to a firm wake with a steep lip at the top. It has so much incredible pop and firmness that the most novice riders can get across at 21 and 70 ft. off. The wedge does little to widen the wake, that is a function of hull shape and boat speed. I often go with only 2 other people and have since added weight to the bow which has improved this great wake even more. More people riding with you =less weigh to add.

I don't have any friends that ride without the wedge. They all cut very hard and like to land inverts into the flats. The firmness of the wedge wake provides that.

You'll have to ride behind all the boats you like and pick the best wake for your style. It's a PITA and can take 6 months, but I rode behind 9 other boats before deciding on the Bu. There are a lot of very nice boats out there with many different features, just pick the ones that are important to YOU not the sales guy.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       11-28-2005, 3:15 PM Reply   
Here's some pics.

Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       11-28-2005, 3:20 PM Reply   
Machew (mbrown), what speed do you ride at and at what length? I liked the wedge on a boat where there wasn't much extra ballast, but we shortened up the rope a bit. I really feel like it gets wider when the wedge is down. But that's just me
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       11-28-2005, 3:23 PM Reply   
another...
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-28-2005, 3:39 PM Reply   
Hey great Pics of the BU...Where were those picture's take'n?
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       11-28-2005, 3:40 PM Reply   
Depends, I have trouble getting across on 3's so it's 21 and 70 off- easy clearance with softer head slap landings. If I want more pop and harder cuts I lengthen the rope and go up to 80 off at 23= more air time. So it's a function of what trick I'm working on, or if I'm hurt.

23 stings a bit when you catch edge.

I know a guy who thought that the wake got wider too, but he didn't realize that much of the energy transfer from the wake is in a upward motion with the increased steepness instead of an across the wake energy; therefore, making it a bit harder to get across if you have a slow cut. So really you just go higher not farther. No wedge= farther not higher. Just my opinion.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       11-28-2005, 3:47 PM Reply   
Zach
In Disco, just below my gun turret!