Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-11-2007, 4:43 AM Reply   
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070411/OPINION03/704110429
Old     (jaxboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-11-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
Looks like a very good truck. It's just ugly as hell and Toyota's interiors don't do anything for me. I'm sticking w/ Ford.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-11-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
Nice review.. It may not be perfect yet but it will be next year. Toyota is always improving their product.
I haven't driven one yet but I love the look of it.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-11-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
I don't dig the styling at all. Sounds like the iForce motor is powerful and the tranny is solid.

Toyota enthusiasts should be pretty happy.

But I am with Cory......

A decked out model in the low 40's?? Seems steep.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-11-2007, 11:09 AM Reply   
I personally like the looks. IMO, the ugliest truck on the market right now is the chevy.

Is this the first Crew long-bed 1/2 ton?
Old     (jaxboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-11-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
I think it is, J-Rod...at least in the last few years.

At 40k for a decked out model, I could get a year old F250 Powerstroke Fx4 lariat in a quad cab with really low miles, and to me that is way, way more of a truck. I've had Toyotas, and my mom still has a loaded, lifted Sequoia that she absolutely loves, but they just aren't my cup of tea. Her truck is an 03 w/ almost 100k miles and looks adn runs great. But no better than my 02 F150 w/ 80k miles. I had an 06 Tacoma for all of a month and realized that I hated the transmission and the interior. Everything else about the truck was great, and I can't really bash Toyota at all, I'm just not a fan.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-11-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
Two things I took away from the auto show. I was really excited about the truck, but that changed.

1) The interior dash was just strange as you can see it the pic. It looks even odder in person. I've never seen anything like that b4.

2) Back seat space was very small in the 4 door. I thought it might have been a smaller cab model, but it was the same on all 3 tundra's they had at the show. I was really surprised. The 150 and 1500's back seats had much more leg room.
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-11-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
I have an 06 Tundra double cab, and to me...the 07's back seat space definitely feels/looks smaller. I haven't spent much time in one though....

I really like my truck, but I'd definitely like to have more power...
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-11-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
Jarrod, I currently own a chevy and I agree.. It is an ugly truck
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-11-2007, 1:22 PM Reply   
Toyota may compete when they can build a truck that can carry a camper and tow my CC220 at highway speeds up a 6% grade. Until then, I'll stick with my F350.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-11-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
I keep trying to explain that to people Jason, but they don't understand. Perhaps they would if they were sitting shotgun in the F250 going 70mph UP the north side of the grapevine with a full bed of gear and 210 in tow. And that's without a tuner.

40+k?? my 06 cost me 42k, leather interior crew cab, sun roof, auto everything, One of the best transmissions made, and a 4 yr improved 6.0l turbo diesel under the hood.

I am glad that Toyota is upping the ante, but if you want a gasser get a V10 if you need all that power. And just like the guy in the article said, he never saw 18 mpg, more like 15.5 and that was with nothing on the hitch.
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-11-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
hey if the tranny doesnt go out at 40k like my ford F150 and if the rotors dont go bad at 50k like my ford F150 I will be VERY interested!

BTW I have an 2005 F150. I love the way it drives but the little problems are ridiculous. Luckily my friend is a service manager and was able to get everything fixed under warranty even though it was after the 36K.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-11-2007, 3:12 PM Reply   
Ford sucks, their 6.0 powerjoke is plagued with issues, thier 08 superduties are already having major issues. Buy a ford if you're hobby is hanging out at the dealership's service department all the time.
Old     (summer)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-11-2007, 3:18 PM Reply   
I have a Ford F250 Diesel and it's one of the best trucks I have owned. We have had Toyota, Chevy, Dodge and Our Ford is Awesome, Maybe you got a bad one. It happens.
Not very fond of the new Toyota.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-11-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
Or maybe you got one of the good one's, I don't like the Tundra either.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-11-2007, 3:33 PM Reply   
Ummmm, not true mobius. The 08 was recalled to add a safety measure to the regen process after a grand total of 3 trucks had some issues. Ford thought it best to be proactive. By all reports the 08's are very nice, but the fuel economy is not all it should be due to all the emissions gear that was mandated.

The 6.0l had some issues from 03-04. By 05 they were worked out and the 06 & 07 models are doing very well. There are also many many 03-04 model owners that report no problems at all and the truck are running very strong.

Nobody produces a perfect vehicle, that's for sure. I simply don't like Toyota's claims and their position in the market. They claim to be badass compared to the F150 and then price it next to the F250. I am sure it's a good truck though and Toyota enthusiasts will love them.

While the 5.4l in the F150 is not a beast by any means, it is a very very good engine, very reliable and does everything it was meant to do.
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-11-2007, 3:33 PM Reply   
Sorry those things are hideous and the ergonomics of them are jus awful IMO. But the competition is great for consumers. This will hopefully continue to push the big three.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-11-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
I don't think there is anything bad ass about the Tundra..
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-11-2007, 3:50 PM Reply   
It can go over a really big seesaw though...
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-11-2007, 4:06 PM Reply   
So, the only thing the reviewer didn't like was:
1. The interior was "cold" and "clinical".
2. The exterior styling "lacked originality".

No complaints about the functionality, power, handling, or safety. Not too bad for a first-year truck. Price is high, as with most Toyotas, but their market researchers are not idiots. They are pricing it for overall maximum profit, and they will probably sell a ton of them because of Toyota's reputation for reliability. The American consumer is generally willing to pay a little more for reliability. Sure, it's not for everyone. It's no turbo diesel. I don't care so much for the exterior styling as they sit from the factory, but with a 4" lift and larger tires, I think a crew-cab short bed would look great.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-11-2007, 4:11 PM Reply   
nice. i work for toyota and designing the door trim for the tundra was actually my previous assignment. i'm glad they showed a picture of the armrest storage box...that took more time then you could imagine. here's a fun fact, we designed that box to fit a cellphone, ciggarettes and lighter, or a tin of chew. i agree that an HD deisel is needed to fully compete. but, this is a huge step in the right direction. i think the coolest feature is the damped/torsion spring tailgate. you can literally lift it with one finger. if nothing else, this tundra will surely make all the next generation silverados, F150's, and Ram's that much better.
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-11-2007, 4:27 PM Reply   
Nickbot,

Tell Toyota to make this truck:

I want a 4x4 Toyota Tacoma with a turbo diesel. It needs to get great fuel economy, improve the ride of the Tacoma somewhat (or have better seats) and also have better brakes.

When they do, I am buying one and so is a bunch of other people.

Current ride is an 2002 Dodge Ram w/ Cummins. Previous truck was a Tacoma with V6. Loved the Tacoma, but disliked the poor fuel mileage for a small truck. I get the same fuel mileage out of a much larger truck.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-11-2007, 4:39 PM Reply   
totally agree. i drive a 2002 tacoma 4X4 V6. 90K miles, looks and drives like new...but, fuel economy is not so good. i i'll get a new truck when they make what you recommend. their focus is on hybrids and plug in hybrids, but they have many diesel engines in japan...i really have no idea why they don't bring them over.
Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-11-2007, 5:00 PM Reply   
BUY AMERICAN!!!!
I don't want to hear that the Toyota is built in America, it's actually "assembled" in America. The fact is, the profits go to a Japanese company.

Support the country you live in!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-11-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
You'll never guess what I just saw..

Ok it was a 2007 Superduty broke down on the side of the road......
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-11-2007, 5:19 PM Reply   
Get use to it 05mobius. I am sure there will be more.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-11-2007, 5:20 PM Reply   
LOL !!!!!!!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-11-2007, 6:04 PM Reply   
http://youtube.com/watch?v=v36MCcRPRTc
Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-11-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
Alright all of you Toyota haters. I have owned every domestic full-sized truck in the past and now own a double cab tundra. One thing I can tell you is that the tundra is the most reliable, smoothest ridng, quietest and most comfortable trucks I have ever owned. Toyotas also hold their resale value much better than any american truck out there and can justify the higher initial investment. It is true tht they don't offer a diesel (yet), but most people don't need that kind of power. IMO, american vehicles have been decreasing in quality of the past decade and have just now started to get better. After all of the problems I have had with my past american made vehicles, it will be a while before I consider buying another one. I am as american as everyone else out there, but I will not buy an american truck just because it is the patriotic thing to do. It also needs to be a wise financial investment.
Old     (jaxboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-11-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
Mobius...you're acting like a 5 year old on the playground putting down another kid's toy. If you're going to bash something, please use first hand experience, not what your sister's friend's mom's uncle's dog's therapist reported (see Mike's post). My first hand experience is that my Ford is more comfortable than my 06 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 was. It's more comfortable than my Mom's 03 Sequoia 4x4 Limited is. It drives better than the Sequioa and the Titan I had. Granted, it doesn't have much get up and go, but it gets the job done. My next truck will be a Ford. I'm a Ford guy through and through. I've owned and raced 4 Mustangs (my Cobra ran high 10's in the 1/4), my Dad has always had Ford's with his construction company, and now I have an F150, and I haven't had any problems at all.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-11-2007, 6:34 PM Reply   
As a current owner of a 250 PSD 4x4, I pray for the day Toyota produces a heavy half or 3/4 diesel to complement my current tow vehicle, one for the 5th wheel, the other for the VLX.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-11-2007, 6:38 PM Reply   
Cory, I don't agree the F150 rides better than the Titan. I had an '04 Lariat 4x4 and my dad has an '06 Titan Crew, his drives better IMO and we won't even go into the power. If Ford would come out of the dark ages and get something better than the 4 speed auto they have, it might make a difference. How can Toyota be working with a 6 speed with 381hp, while Ford links a 4 speed to the dog they put in the F150?

Don't get me wrong, I like the F150 a lot and will probably get another, but what would hold me back is it has not get up and go. I would get smoked by my roommates Silverado.
Old     (jaxboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-11-2007, 6:47 PM Reply   
I had an 04 SE Titan with the off road package and now have an 02 F150 Fx4, both extended cabs. If I could have the power of the Titan in the Ford, it would be perfect. The Titan didn't near the turning capacity that the Ford does, and it was just poor overall quality. My buddy's rear diff blew at just 10k miles on his 05 Titan, and mine was making noise when I got rid of it. I agree the 4 speed is total crap. Ford needs to bump the 5.4 to a minimum of 350 hp and go to a 5 speed tranny. The 09 F150 is going to be all new...I'll ask my auto design buddy in detroit if he has heard any news on what they're doing to the engine.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-11-2007, 7:57 PM Reply   
IMO, Ford got the inside and outside right, if they would have matched looks with a good powertrain, they would still be leaps and bounds ahead.

A little difference is my dad has an 06 SE without the Off Road Package, he has the 18" wheels, I don't know how this affects the ride on the Titans.
Old    stillstandin            04-11-2007, 8:08 PM Reply   
I have owned, 1 ford, 1 dodge, 1 toytota, and currently a suburban. The toyota is the only one I had any problems with. Probably just luck. The looks of the new tundra will probably grow on me. The ugliest truck out their (IMO) is the titan. That thing is nasty no matter what you do to it.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-11-2007, 8:10 PM Reply   
Cory you mean kinda like your reaction to my postI knew some dumba$$ would get all bent out of shape.
Old     (jaxboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-11-2007, 8:20 PM Reply   
Uhh, before you call me a dumbass, reread what I said. FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE. I'm not gonna bash one brand or another...I'm going to use my experience to say why I prefer one over the other. Unlike your responses so far...

"Ford sucks, their 6.0 powerjoke is plagued with issues, thier 08 superduties are already having major issues. Buy a ford if you're hobby is hanging out at the dealership's service department all the time."
-You obviously don't own an 08...or a 6.0, because you'd know they have proven to be excellent engines after they got the initial bugs worked out coming from the 7.3L.

"I don't think there is anything bad ass about the Tundra.."
-This proves you're capable...you even acknowledged that it was just your opinion!

"You'll never guess what I just saw..

Ok it was a 2007 Superduty broke down on the side of the road......"

-I see all makes and models on the side of the road...usually they just run out of gas. My Titan was on the side of the road...because I ran it out of gas. Did I use that to bash Nissan?

I didn't call names, either. I said what you're acting like. Imagine the response if I came on here bashing Mastercraft. I'd yell about the poor workmanship, the terrible engines, and the ugly design...just because I saw one beached in a tidal area...
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-11-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
Cory I will refer you to most first post as I kept my comments to the diesel models. There is nothing wrong with the gas models, I think they look good they just don't have any balls.
Old     (jaxboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-11-2007, 8:23 PM Reply   
Nick, the difference is the Off Road package goes to 3.55 gears, Rancho shocks, and a electronic rear locker...the same Ranchos that the Fx4 has, but with 3.73 gears and a limited slip that actually works better than the e-locker. The e-locker is the same one Toyota is using in the Tacomas, and its shredding spider gears in both trucks.
Old     (jaxboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-11-2007, 8:25 PM Reply   
Mobius, Agreed, they have no balls at all. Which is why I'm thinking about putting a built Lightning short block in the truck and supercharging it. I think 500 horsepower should give it some balls.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-11-2007, 8:26 PM Reply   
Cory I do have first hand knowlege of the fords I drive them at least 15K miles a year. My company has a fleet contract with Ford. I see them break down every day. We have dodges and chevy here to that do not seem to break down as much. Chevy had an injector problem on the duramax at first but they are doing better. The dodge well just haven't had any problems with those yet.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-11-2007, 8:28 PM Reply   
Cory if you did that I would gladly retract my "no balls" statement and would then have much admiration for your truck...
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-12-2007, 5:32 AM Reply   
NICKBOT....hey brother! I am a design surfacer/engineer at JCI in Plymouth. I worked on the seating for the Tundra. Too bad the article slammed the interior on being too clinical. What do they know? I would would work in Ann Arbor for the Toy company any day. All and all The Tundra is a good truck and will be competition for the rest. I just wonder what is going to happen with the trucks when emissions are getting pushed real hard from the Government. Look at the Detroit News http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070412/AUTO01/704120343&theme=Autos-Green-tech-hybrids. Arnold is pushing this. Are we going to have gutless trucks to pull our boats in the future? Or will trucks even exist? Might want to make your next purchase with the mind set that you will own that truck for a long time. I bought a Dodge Ram in 04...love the truck (I know some will have different opinions...and thats ok) But I just paid it off and I do not plan on selling it or trading it in anytime soon. I use it only to tow and running around on the weekends. It now has 13500 miles on it. I got 19 mpg on average towing my boat last year. I did the grandpa thing with gas being 3 plus a gallon. I was driving only 60...63 when in tow. Man I saved A LOT OF GAS compared to the previous year. Yhea I would get to my destination 15 minutes later. But it made it easy to put fuel in the boat tank as well. With out a boat in tow..I was getting 23 to 25 mpg. Granted I have a K&N filter(does not always provide good results on all models..mine it does...my friends Ford..it did nothing for improvement in fuel)I have owned Ford , Chevy, and now Dodge. I have had no problems with any of them. At least not worth mentioning. But I am very proactive on taking care of them..Oil changes every 3000 etc.etc. I drive a Honda Accord with 212000 miles on it. My wife is driving a Dodge Caravan with 245000 miles
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-12-2007, 7:50 AM Reply   
I just paid $3 a gallon this morning for 20 gallons of fuel in my Land rover. I don't think trucks will be gutless, but someone will need to figure out how to effectively raise fuel economy without crippling the capacity of a truck. The only other way to fix this is to have another daily driver which is my next option truthfully.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-12-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
Scott, i read that article...hate that subject.
i don't see how the interior is any more "clinical" than any of the big 3...or should i say the "detroit 3". who cares, sales will tell the true story and so far they are selling well. that will keep plenty of boat gas money in my pocket.
i'll keep my eye open for openings in our seat group.
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-12-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
Buy Toyota and in the long run your pocket book will thank you, Yeah the profits go back to Japan, but we are in a GLOBAL economy so it all comes out in the wash, besides they pay Billions of dollars into the American economy, with labor , suppliers, and raw materials. I wouldn't buy an American car/truck/suv for anything, they are worthless as wet toilet paper! (IMO)
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
A number of times I have regretted purchases because I didn't put quality first. There is nothing so frustating as dealing with problems big or small. My Japanese cars have been head and shoulders above the rest. Its hard to quit the habit
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-12-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
NICKBOT....Thx my friend. I appreciate it. Actually I have worked in exterior, components, and interior groups for GM and Ford. So my skills are not limited to seats alone. I am on my seventh year creating surface. I have been at JCI for 3 years. Here I am multi-tasking...design, and engineering because we are a rather small group (result from layoffs in past). Where at Ford and GM I was primarily doing surface work on UG, Catia V5 and Autodesk..Autostudio (Alias). Sounds like a job interview...eh...ya of course. I want a FJ...that thing is totally cool. Detroit news is biased to the big 3, so it is no wonder they favor the domestics. Steve that is a little harsh on the American car companies. Not all of their product is bad. Like I said before..my Honda has 212000 miles...never had problems except for struts. Dodge Caravan has 245000 miles...not one single problem. Just routine maintenance..brakes, new plugs every 70k, oil changes etc. etc. Putting down companies sounds like the CWB vs. Ronix vs. Hyperlite debates that take place here comparing quality. I work at a supplier with all the manufacturers. In the end, they are real similar with business practices and such. In the past companies were looking for ways to increase profits and cut costs in the autos. I can tell you, that is not the focus or has been the focus the last few years. You can buy a Pontiac Vibe....it's exactly the same car as the Toyota Matrix. You can buy a Saturn Aura...Honda powerplant..engine and drive train.