Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-14-2005, 4:59 PM Reply   
This looks too good to be true:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63686&item=4556436 457&rd=1
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       06-14-2005, 5:26 PM Reply   
looks way too good to be true!

Old    xtremrider            06-14-2005, 7:24 PM Reply   
yea i saw that and i was thinking the same thing, way too good to be true.
Old     (wakinbakin)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-14-2005, 8:41 PM Reply   
under description it says the the boat is 16ft long
Old    bigdeal            06-14-2005, 9:39 PM Reply   
I saw this too and emailed the seller trying to figure out what's up with his listing. If he responds back I'll post again in this thread.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-14-2005, 9:39 PM Reply   
There is also an 03 Mastercraft Prostar with a mini tower that says buy it now 5700. I wonder what the catch is.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-14-2005, 10:03 PM Reply   
Stephen where did u see that??
Old    jaycoh333            06-14-2005, 10:06 PM Reply   
*There is also an 03 Mastercraft Prostar with a mini tower that says buy it now 5700. I wonder what the catch is.*

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!
This is an Ebay scam! They say the boat is being held in a square trade warehouse and to send them half the money via Western Union (untraceable) NEVER USE WESTERN UNION FOR ANY EBAY PURCHASE!!!!! They almost got me for $2500 on a 2002 MC prostar 209 for buy it now of $5000. Total B.S.!!! I think if it looks too good to be true it probably is!!!!!Watch out for square trade warehouse or ebay warehouse auctions they do not exist!!!!
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-14-2005, 10:34 PM Reply   
I saw this boat on Ebay a few weeks ago. At that time they were asking somewhere in the low 40k range.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       06-15-2005, 8:07 AM Reply   
I sent an email to the seller yesterday and have had no response. I looked at the ebay user's feedback, and he has only bought, never sold. He buys lots of antique iron dog statues. Not your typical wakeboarder.

You also have to get pre-approved by the seller to bid or buy. Is that the scam? Do they get your credit card or PayPal info? If you are an ebay seller, they have a valid bank account record on you. How would the scam work?
Old     (mujibur)      Join Date: May 2002       06-15-2005, 8:40 AM Reply   
I believe that this one of 2 things
1)this is more of an "advertising" thing than anything else. I have seen more and more people putting large items up for sale on e-bay with a very low buy it now price just to get the action from the buyers to try and sell the item off of e-bay.
2) scam - where someone has control of this poor iron dog buying persons e-bay account. The thieves will try to sell stuff (stuff they do not really have or intend to deliver) under this persons account until someone finds out. Then they move on.
Old     (mujibur)      Join Date: May 2002       06-15-2005, 8:46 AM Reply   
One more thing these guys do - This would be for Rich to watch out for since he sent them an e-mail/query. Thieves steal account access and try to grab as many other active e-bay user ID's and e-mail addresses as possible so they can try to associate a password with the accounts they grab at a later date and time or from existing data sets they have "on-file" .
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       06-15-2005, 9:11 AM Reply   
Got an email back from the seller. His email is from an event planner company in Seattle; the boat is in CT. Gave some BS about just bought a house and willing to take a loss. My first email was for clarification, maybe is was a typo on the price. I think Muji has it right, they hijacked someone's ebay account. I will change the password on mine. Thanks Muji.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-15-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
I just clicked the link to see the state of the item and ask eBay to investigate. The auction has been cancelled and there's a notice that says never pay with instant cash using Western Union or Money Gram.

Guess it was a scam after all.

eBay is getting so sketchy that I don't feel comfortable shopping there anymore to be honest.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-15-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
Oh, crap, I'm worried about this now. I tried to do as much reseach as possible, he sent an official verification from Square Trade, which as you mentioned said to send the money Western Union. So either I just got a sweet deal or I'm out $2500. I guess I'll find out. By the way the name on the auction does exist, I looked it up on a people search, The guy is 67 and does live in CT where he claims to be from. Story he says is that he bought a house in Hawaii, needs to sell quickly. Well here's to hoping
Old     (ef3529)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-15-2005, 4:41 PM Reply   
robandrus,

I hate to tell you but I think you just lost $2500. They hijack an account and copy previous listings or make one up. They have been doing it with 4-wheelers for a while. The account is real but the scamer used it without him knowing it. If it is too good to be true it always is. There have been postings in the past warning about this.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-15-2005, 5:32 PM Reply   
As soon as I read this post I ran down to western union to stop the payment, but he had picked it up 30 minutes before I got there. I'm screwed. Boy its gonna be fun telling my wife.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-15-2005, 5:34 PM Reply   
Question, they used a different name to pick up the money, would that just be a fake ID or what?
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       06-15-2005, 7:52 PM Reply   
Robandrus, you need to contact ebay ASAP. Because I sent the con artist an email thru an ebay account (the only way you can reach him), I got a notice from ebay w/ a fraud warning. If you got scammed you may have recourse. Go to their links about Fraud Protection; it does say not to send Money Grams, only to make transactions thru their system, PayPal, or in person w/ Cashiers Check. Transactions outside their system may not be covered. However, they let this person use their system to steal your money. How many other guys do you think sent a deposit to hold the deal?

I set up an ebay account to let my son sell some sports equip. You have to provide a valid bank account and credit card. I don't know how the scammers do it. Ebay is a multibillion $ company and supposed to be legit. I think they have some liability on this one. They allowed a valid ebay account, used for 10 years by an antique collector in CT, to get hijacked by a scammer. Keep us posted. There are some attorney wakeboarders on this site, and I hope they will offer advice.