Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old    begone            06-10-2005, 9:45 PM Reply   
Is this normal? The boat has 4.6 hours on it and the engines ticking. I can hear it from the drivers seat. Shouldn't this engine be dead silent for being brand new? Should this be a concern? Thanks

Drew
Old     (peacock)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-10-2005, 9:54 PM Reply   
Do you have a bomb sniffing dog?
Old    begone            06-10-2005, 9:55 PM Reply   
I got 2 Saints...they said everything checked out alright - No Bombs.
Old    begone            06-10-2005, 10:06 PM Reply   
No but seriously should I be concerned?
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2005, 10:57 PM Reply   
Slowly drain oil until the ticking noise goes away. You obviously have too much oil in the crank case.

Step 1. Start engine out of the water, this will ensure it is not a water pump issue. If you still hear ticking... proceed to Step 2.

Step 2. Leave engine running and slowly drain the oil until ticking noise goes away. If you still hear ticking noise... proceed to Step 3.

Step 3. Leave engine running with all oil drained, this will ensure it is not particles in your oil... if that doesn't work, consult your dealer.

It worked for your trailer, I assume a similar process will work for that ticking noise.

Good luck!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2005, 11:14 PM Reply   
What sort of motor? Mercrusier has had an issue with exhast gasket leaks, it creates a ticking noise. Have a listen around the headers an see if you can localise where the noise is coming from. If it is the gasket its an easy 1/2hr fix.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-10-2005, 11:14 PM Reply   
I'd say that is definitely a question for your dealer as it may be a normal sound? There are many things that could cause a 'ticking' sound?

One of them could be the sound of Kyle typing on his computer wasting valuable wakeworld space by giving sarcastic advice.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2005, 11:22 PM Reply   
Darren... Moomba uses Indmar powerplants.

Hey Levi... thanks for getting my sarcasm... some don't.

By the way... maybe I am not sarcastic... Drew already drained the brake fluid from his trailer brakes so he could back it up... hahaha...

The ticking noise is from my resprirator... I am having troubles breathing reading all of these issues Drew is having... it is making hyperventilate and gasp for air!
Old    wakepirate            06-11-2005, 1:02 AM Reply   
Lol, kyle you are a smartass...I like your type....reminds me of friends of mine. I like to throw the boat in reverse while you're pissin off the bow
Old    begone            06-11-2005, 6:11 AM Reply   
Kyle, your such a kidder. Drain my oil. That's Good. Hey if it works right?

Well the trailer situation was mainly due to the fact that my Trailer Outlet on the truck was bad. Before I left the dealership (boat) they tried to fix the trailer lights cause one side wouldn't work. They figured out that it was my Truck. But nobody told me that because one side of the truck lights wasn't working that it would cause my brakes to lock up. I guess there is something that will allow you to bybass the rear braking functon on this trailer. But all the dang pictures in the booklet didn't match what I had so I was SOL.

But an Exhaust leak is exactly what it sounds like. I used to have headers on one of my old trucks and it sounded kinda like that. But all I know is that it shouldn't. So I will contact the dealer. Thanks.
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-11-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
Drew, you insisted on talking on the phone while we were trying to do the outside orientation with you. But we did go over everything with you on how to back up the trailer, including how to bypass the current problem you were having with your truck.

The ticking noise in your engine is normal. You have a 325 MPI engine. What you are hearing is the injectors.

McFly
Waterski Boats Dallas
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-11-2005, 8:43 AM Reply   
Ahh, Marty ya beat me to it. Nobody mentioned injectors.
Old    begone            06-11-2005, 10:06 AM Reply   
"Drew, you insisted on talking on the phone while we were trying to do the outside orientation with you. But we did go over everything with you on how to back up the trailer, including how to bypass the current problem you were having with your truck."

Whoa slow down buddy. I was talking on the phone while one of your guys was trying to figure out what was wrong with the trailer. Nobody was trying to give me a Orientation. And I understand the situation about the trailer. And I listened and grabbed the stuff out of the bag. But the dang U clip or whatever it is did not have a place to go. I think when I was trying to back up the trailer and it braked that I pushed back the slot I was supposed to stick it in. So I didn't see it. I've already admitted it was my fault. And never said anything negative about you guys or your products. Of course I was upset at first. My dang trailer wouldn't back up and I was wedged in my freakin neighborhood.

Why do I sense some hostility in your post? Maybe since I didn't go out on a demo with you guys you lack faith in my boating abilities. But trust me I can read a manual with the best of them. And there's nothing in the manual about Ticking noises.

Anyway I still stand behind Waterski Dallas and would recommend them to anyone. Love the boat. And I'm taking it out today to actually board behind. I'll take pictures and let everyone know how it was.

Thanks for the clearing up the Ticking Noise. That's good to know.

Drew
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-11-2005, 11:19 AM Reply   
Sorry if I came across with hostility. But you have to understand that it is our job to make sure the customer is completely comfortable with the product that he/she is delivered. We offered an on water orientation and a full scale parking lot orientation. However, you declined on both, so we showed you the basics, tried to go over the backing up issue with the trailer since the truck had a wiring problem, and tried to ensure that you were comfortable with the boat. But, the day the boat left is the day that questions came up on this message board. To me, if I was an outsider reading the public forum, I would think that the dealer did not do a good job in going over the boat with you at delivery. However, my job is to make sure my customers are satisfied, and to defend the dealership if anything may pop up on this message board negative about the dealership. So that is why I commented.

When you left, we told you to feel free to call us about anything that you may have a question about. There are no stupid questions when it comes to new boats, and 90% of the questions new boat owners have about their boats have a very simple answer.

Waterski Boats Dallas is here to answer your questions and to help make your boat owning experience as painless and fun as possible. So please use us to your advantage. You can get a variety of answers on a public forum, but we can give you the exact answer quickly, since, odds are, the question has been asked to us 100 times before.

So, I am sorry if I came across with some hostility, but you have to look at it thru our eyes as well. If you have any other questions, please call us (you can call me personally) and we will be happy to assist you in any way. Remember, you are my best form of marketing. If you are happy, you are going to tell everyone about your experience. It is my job to make sure you are happy.

We sincerly appreciate your positive comments about our dealership and look forward to doing more business with you in the future.

Thanks

McFly
Waterski Boats Dallas
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-11-2005, 12:08 PM Reply   
I think the lesson here is let the dealer go through all the motions when you buy that new boat. It seems as though your trailer and engine issues would of been resolved had you let them do their job which would of included a demo on the water of your new ride. I think it shows alot that this dealer even offers this kind of service because alot don't.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-11-2005, 12:59 PM Reply   
I would also run the boat a round to Marty & let him listen to the ticking noise, it could be the injectors or it could be something else, its hard to tell from a description on the internet and it would only take a few minutes to know for sure.
I know when mine started ticking I described it to the mech & he said injectors for sure, but its not till he heard it and realised how loud it was that we found the exhast gasket leak.

(Message edited by ralph on June 11, 2005)
Old    begone            06-11-2005, 6:19 PM Reply   
Thanks Marty. Your reply and professionalism is appreciated. It comforts me alot knowing that my purchase was made with a great dealership like the one you have there.

Well, I took the boat out and it was awesome. Soooo much room. Soooo much storage space. We were amazed on how much we could store in this sucker and still have room for more. It was kind of choppy out there due to all the other boats so no pictures today, maybe tomorrow. (I didn't want to post pictures of me barely making it over the wake...) So I'll try to get some tomorrow. But the boat was awesome and it handles great. The wake was perfect and perfect pass is a MUST. Very pleased with this Moomba XLV GG Edition. Later.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-12-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
MCX Motor for the MC has a pretty loud ticking noise.

The injectors,I asked and told my dealer to listen to it and he confirmed!!
Old     (98air)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-14-2005, 5:48 PM Reply   
leaking exhaust manifold gaskets????
Old    zboomer            06-14-2005, 7:37 PM Reply   
Highly unlikey anything is wrong. Most new boat owners are paranoid about engine sounds. The engine in a boat is much more audible than the engine in most people's cars, so they question every sound.

Sometimes the water pump can make a ticking sound also at low rpm.

Until the owner is used to what is normal, I suppose it's prudent to have the dealer, or someone familiar with the sound listen to it.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-15-2005, 7:41 AM Reply   
Drew,

Check the oil level in your V-drive. New boats burn oil during the first 10-20 hours. While breaking in my SSV I heard the same ticking noise you are describing.

I checked the oil level in my V-drive and found that it was low. I added some 30w oil and no more ticking.